How many of you use your collector cars as daily drivers?

MarrsCars

I use my 220se as my daily driver, but that works well primarily because I do not have a commute so my mileage is purely at will.

I'd like to know who drives their vintage or classic every day, to work or whatever the case may be. In Portland, I see hundreds of funky old cars used as DD's every year, most being Volvos and British makes (courageous owners no doubt), with some Benzes and American 50's iron seen less often.

I usually try to drive my "most highway capable" air cooled VW as a summer daily commuter car (50-mile round trip, and unfortunately a lot of it along nasty Interstate 95). Unfortunately right now, that car (my '70 Convertible Bug) is out of commission, and my gnarly-but-sold '69 Convertible Bug, which I am sure will also be quite capable on the highway, is still not fully sorted out.

Definitely looking forward to getting back to daily driving one of the old VWs, before this season slips away...

Here are a couple of shots from a (relatively) balmy day in February of this year, when I was out and about with the '70 Bug, top-down of course (the best way to enjoy a convertible, no matter what time of year)...

post-34222-143139102031_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139102019_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve
grammar (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad

No, I bought my classic to work on...

I do enjoy driving it from time to time though...

I've thought about buying a nice oldie to use as a daily driver...

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

My 1979 Continental Mark V Cartier was my daily driver and only car from 1996 - 2004. I really enjoyed driving it daily. However, the Givenchy has never seen daily use. Chicago winters caused too much rust on the 1979, and I do not want to deal with that again. Not to mention gas prices were a lot more reasonable then.

Can't use my old cars as daily drivers because they are registered and insured as antiques. One of the prerequisites is a promise not to drive them to work, etc. I haven't had my cars out much this year; here it is August in another week and I've only put about 30 miles on each since I got them out of the garage in April. I really need to get the Buick out as it hasn't been out of the garage since May when I had the oil changed. I'm still running both on the same gas that I put in last fall. Really need to get them out and fill them up with new gas.

Can't use my old cars as daily drivers because they are registered and insured as antiques. One of the prerequisites is a promise not to drive them to work, etc...

You are absolutely correct, John. When I activate my "summer driver" VW, it is on normal insurance. I don't worry about it too much, since none of my driver cars are super-valuable anyway.

I do not drive any of my cars on my "antique" policy for work, shopping, or anything like that, since, as you say, the policy does not cover that kind of usage.

Can't use my old cars as daily drivers because they are registered and insured as antiques. One of the prerequisites is a promise not to drive them to work, etc. I haven't had my cars out much this year; here it is August in another week and I've only put about 30 miles on each since I got them out of the garage in April. I really need to get the Buick out as it hasn't been out of the garage since May when I had the oil changed. I'm still running both on the same gas that I put in last fall. Really need to get them out and fill them up with new gas.

That's the whole reason I register my '31 as a plain old Dodge. I do not want someone else to dictate the use of my own car. If it gets in a wreck, I will get the parts myself and fix it. I wanna be driving my car when I wanna be driving it and not be limited to weekends, holidays and special events.

I think if you get the right antique car insurance, some don't dictate when or how you can enjoy your cars. Only that you must have at least one car that is insured as a normal daily driver. I enjoy driving everything I have that is driveable. This is generally dictated by the weather. This time of year it gets rather warm so on days over 90, I end up driving my regular car(truck) as it has great A/C. I do drive my collectible cars whenever possible though. That to me, is the point of owning and enjoying them.

IMHO the only downside to using a vintage/antique/pre-war/collectable car as a daily driver is that after 53 years you start having to fix things a second time and have either forgotten how they came apart the last time or find out that they have moved the car closer to the ground so that it is harder to get down to and up from. Or maybe thats not the cars fault. :rolleyes:

Guest 39buck

When I found by 39 buick it was just what I was looking for. It was a good base to build from the ground up to make a every day driver but that is what I wanted. I have almost got it to where I will be able to drive it. I hope by this summer or sooner I will be able to enjoy driving it every day. There is just something wonderfull about getting in your own classic car and just driving it around and talking to people when ever you stop somewhere. If you drive your classic every day or not there is always the joy when you do and that is what it is all about.

Guest Kingoftheroad
I think if you get the right antique car insurance, some don't dictate when or how you can enjoy your cars. Only that you must have at least one car that is insured as a normal daily driver.

That is correct..

What a coincidence. My first Mercedes was a 1962 220SE sedan. It may have been the only one in Canada, I was told by the Mercedes importer in Toronto that they were never officially imported. As this was in 1972 it is not quite the same thing. But I drove it as my only transportation and liked it. If I found another one in decent shape I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Guest Rob McDonald

From 1994 to 2002, I drove a '65 Coupe De Ville as my winter beater. I loved it. After an unfortunate career-ending crash, the Caddy was replaced with a '78 Cordoba, which I never did grow to like much. My summer car for the past 39 years has been my '73 MGB. Year after flippin' year, I keep driving this annoying little thing, hoping that one day it will finally wear out. Beware, it is possible to own a car too long, even one that in the right light still makes you smile.

I drive my 65 chrysler 300 everyday even in winter. I take in the shop at least twice a week and put in on the life and hose the crap out of the underneath , have been doing this since 2007 and havent had a rust problem yet. But them agin if it gets to bad out I have my wife take me to work.