boattail roadster - help identify

Guest backranch.com

Guest backranch.com

I would like help in identifying the boattail roadster body that I've owned for 47 years.

* passenger side door

* steel body

* steel sub-frame

* had v'd windshield @ some time

* remnants of windshield post still attached

* o.a. length is 10', 1"

* width is 42" @ widest...

It was near Boise, Idaho when I purchased it. The seller couldn't tell me much about it.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.post-84437-143139091656_thumb.jpg

post-84437-143139091626_thumb.jpg

post-84437-143139091635_thumb.jpg

post-84437-143139091638_thumb.jpg

post-84437-143139091671_thumb.jpg

post-84437-143139091686_thumb.jpg

post-84437-143139091702_thumb.jpg

Edited by backranch.com (see edit history)

I think that the body framing construction is that of a home-made body, circa late 1920s or early 1930s. The firewall is from a production car of the period. The body would make for an interesting looking car if restored on a vintage chassis.

Grandpa

Guest Al Brass

I don't believe the boattail firewall is the same as fitted to Plymouth shown. Both the openings and top part of the pressings are different.

Al

I don't believe the boattail firewall is the same as fitted to Plymouth shown. Both the openings and top part of the pressings are different.

Al

Yes...clearly the boattail firewall has been modified with extra holes for the coil and other items. Look at the raised stamping design and the vacuum tank and brake master cylinder mounting holes....all in the very same place. The angle iron hood/radiator supports have been added. I still think it's the same.

Guest prs519

They used to take that Soap box derby REAL serious, didn't they?! Does this body show evidence that it was ever mounted to a car? Maybe it was a world speed-

record cast-off from the Salt Flats; I am reminded of that Englishman (forgive me, I forget his name) who used to hold the land speed record; it seems his cars had

a similar look. Sir Malcom someone, I think. Pure top end would explain the minimalist concept, regarding the number of doors, etc. The name Campbell and the

name Donald also come to mind? Anybody?

Edited by prs519
addition (see edit history)

It appears that the top rear of the body was made from the hood of a mid to late 1930s car with the front (now facing the rear) re-formed to a more pointed shape. The bottom pictures of the rear of the boat tail body shows the remains of black paint on the rear panel. The black paint does not apear on the back side of other body panels.

Grandpa

Guest Al Brass
Yes...clearly the boattail firewall has been modified with extra holes for the coil and other items. Look at the raised stamping design and the vacuum tank and brake master cylinder mounting holes....all in the very same place. The angle iron hood/radiator supports have been added. I still think it's the same.

To me, the top rib of the central pressing is almost symmetrical on the Plymouth and quite aymmetrical on the boattail. Maybe I'm wrong !!

Al

Al...I think it's the angle shot I took of the Plymouth because I do know that the Plymouth firewalls are asymmetrical. So are the 1930 Plymouth firewalls....here is one that may be a little easier to determine....similar with strengthening ribs going off on an angle.

post-37352-143139094846_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest another Ratman

I will make a wild uneducated guess.... It's either a Rickenbacker or a Hispano-Suiza. Glad to help.

I don't think you would see that sort of framing on a body mounted on a Hisso chassis. Given the construction techniques I would agree with non-factory/home built special of some sort. I think it would be cool mounted on a pre-30 chassis.

Guest prs519

Recently there were pics of the Essex boattail(s) on one of the forums. Try googling. I believe this thing is massively long compared to the Essex

bodies. Anyone say how long this thing is?

Guest backranch.com
I'm remembering an Essex boat-tail in Vermont - late 1970's - another long-shot?

post-84437-143139101046_thumb.jpg

I Googled Essex roadster & came up with numerous photos. Here are a couple photos that makes me wonder if the builder didn't copy the Essex & maybe stretched the body to fit a longer chassis.

post-84437-143139101043_thumb.jpg