67 GS 400 and NO oil pressure.........

Shakadula

:(I think I really messed up. I pulled the motor and replaced all gaskets and seals. Put the motor back in and tried to prime the oil pump and now I have no oil pressure. I used vaseline too to pack the pump. Replaced the oil pump gears, spring and valve and still no deal.

To prime I am using the GM tool in a drill to spin the pump. I also put the distributor in and turned the motor over for 10 seconds and still nothing.

Is it possible to put the oil pump pickup tube in backwards where it is not in the oil. I don't think so cause I don't think I could get the oil pan back on. Does the hole in the valve need to be in a certain location?

I am at a loss!

"Any new items installed that had a cover that is over a oil passage not removed before installation?"

Not following......I feel like even if I did reverse the timing cover gasket and cover a oil passage hole I would still get some kind of pressure to the gauge. Don't you think?

It's been a while since I did a T-chain on a 455. Around 23 years! I'm trying to visualize the cover again. I think the gasket can only go on one way. I would pull the oil pump and inspect the installation of the spring, etc. Repack with vasaline and try again.

You're right about the gasket only fitting one way as there are 2 location pivot points. You can't really screw that up.

I'll try the vasaline again as can't stand the thought of removing that oil pan to check that pump gasket but I may have to do it if this doesn't work.

I will also check timing cover for clearance to the block. Maybe I have an air leak there.

I am tired of working on what should be simple issues and not getting anywhere. Check my wiring harness posts. I am so mechnically declined!

Thanks for your help!

Just had another thought.......I replaced the spring and valve in the oil pump cover. The valve had a hole through it. Does that hole have to face the oil pump cover? I just installed it not thinking about the how the valve should face.

In my recent case the gasket kit had the wrong gasket supplied. We had to take the timing chain cover off and match both surfaces to find the problem.

It wasn't obvious then, either. We had to really look.

Bernie

When its right you know it!

034mna%20%282%29.jpg

Just had another thought.......I replaced the spring and valve in the oil pump cover. The valve had a hole through it. Does that hole have to face the oil pump cover? I just installed it not thinking about the how the valve should face.

I'm not sure. Did the kit come with installation instructions and exploded diagrams?

No instructions. All it stated was to use the white spring as a replacement as there were several springs provided. I also checked the manual and that didn't state anything about the valve. I might give that a try first since it is a 5 minute job.

The hole in the valve should face the engine. If you have that right, then consider that before you get pressure you still have to fill up the oil filter. before dropping the pump I would take off the oil filter and see if you have any oil in there. If you have to remove the pump to repack with vaseline, be sure you pack every cavity. It may not be enough to just put vaseline around the gears themselves.

Guest Hector

When you changed the gears on the oil pump,did you followed the chassis manual procedure to set the clearance to the bottom plate?I believe that the clearance should be set at .002-.004".Sometimes shimming of the plate is necesary ,TA Performance has a shim kit that will do the trick.Is oil coming to the top of the engine(rocker arms) when you attempt to prime it? Good luck with it.

Guest bills999

It seems unlikely that a small problem with oil pump gear clearance would result in NO oil pressure.

You could try an old trick of over filling the crankcase with oil and if you get the pump to prime than you have a pick up tube problem.

I think you would have to pull the pump and check to make sure that the gears are turning

and the pressure relief valve are assembled properly.

• 1 year later...

Need to close this thread. I pulled the motor (again) and found the oil pickup tube was clogged with stinkbugs. Seems I left the tube laying on the garage floor for months and these WV critters like small, dark places. Rookie mistake not blowing it out. Stupid really. Thanks to all for your help.

I am glad that you found the problem, but what on earth is a stinkbug?????

I was going to suggest checking that you had the correct oil filter and not one with a valve in it that would block the oli flow, but you are all sorted now.

Adam..

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadula View Post

I am tired of working on what should be simple issues and not getting anywhere.

So, what's your point?:confused: Do you think you are special or better than the rest of us?:D:eek:

Willie

It took me years to fix the intermittent miss in my truck.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Thanks for the update. Interesting cause but it doesn't surprise me. Stink bugs have become an epidemic is this part of country. Some places are worse than others. They are about 1/2" long and wide. This post is good because others can have similar types of problems if not conscious of it. These little bastards can squeeze into anything. They can flatten themselves out and sensing heat squeeze bettwen a perfectly sealed rubber window seal in my house. I have one garage door out of 3 with a window which is the only window in the garage. Every evening I suck up with vacuum up to 200 of them that accululate on the window trying to get out. Wait an hour and another 50 show up! They just keep appearing as if there is a stink bug factory somewhere. My garage is sealed well. They seem to like to be together and over winter have packed themsleves in between the cooling fins of my weedeater which can't be seen because of the plastic cover and subsequently caused it to overheat and lockup. Same thing happened to my cousin. My nephew had a garden hose that would only pass a trickle of water then suddenly this huge pile of stink bugs was pushed out. Stories like this can go on and on.

Any car parts laying around are game also so everything has to be sealed in bags if its not going to be installed for awhile.

For those lucky enough not to have them they only stink when physically harmed or squashed. They also crap brown liquid everywhere. Where is DDt when you need it.

post-50687-143142561612_thumb.jpg