1937 plymouth rear wheel

Guest jasonperkins

Guest jasonperkins

Is there a secret to pulling off the hub on the rear wheel? I have pulled the front two and rebuilt the brakes etc. I have not been able to pull off the rear passenger side. I have removed the pin and nut etc, and the puller will not seem to pull the hub off no matter what I seem to do. I thought perhaps the hand brake was catching somehow, and have tried a couple times to release it to make sure.

...I thought perhaps the hand brake was catching somehow, and have tried a couple times to release it to make sure.

If stock, the hand brake is a band on the back of the transmission so it will have nothing to do with the drum on the rear axle.

r1lark already posted a link to my rear axle seal repair page so I guess I don't have to post it again to show the puller.

Guest jasonperkins

Yes I have been using a puller, and it worked great for the front two however the rear ones not so much.

Yes I have been using a puller, and it worked great for the front two however the rear ones not so much.

Just when you thought that you have whacked the puller hard enough, hit it again only harder. It will probably come off. Stand aside because sometimes they tend to fly further than you may think (or you could put the nut back on part way). Other times, they just drop off. Seriously...hit it harder.

Guest jasonperkins

Hit it harder.....

LOL that is what I was thinking I just wanted someone to re-affirm that I can do that without breaking something....sometimes I go a little too quick for the sledge hammer

Hit it harder.....

LOL that is what I was thinking I just wanted someone to re-affirm that I can do that without breaking something....sometimes I go a little too quick for the sledge hammer

I have had to use a sledge hammer on them. You might also look close at the hub to see if there may be a small roundhead screw holding the drum to the hub.

Huh? Shouldn't need a puller on the front hubs at all.

And you definitely need the type of puller that bolts onto the hub, not one that tries to grip around the edge. You don't mention the type of puller you've been using so I wanted to double check.

Guest jasonperkins

The front was stuck on a bit I had to use a puller. I have been using the kind that has the bolt that you screw in the middle, and that has bolts that go through the hub in the spaces for the actual wheel.

Guest carlnut50

Make sure you back your brake shoe cams off, that might be why the front hubs were hard to get off. Get the heavy duty puller like everybody says that fastens to the wheel studs ( bolts on the Plymouth. Don't forget it is left hand threads on the left side. Or you can use a knocker threaded to the axle and a sledge hammer. If you use a knocker, jack up the opposite rear wheel so the weight will be on the one you are getting loose. Chrysler products, Nash and rambler ,Ford and plenty of others used this system years ago. The flange type came later.

...Don't forget it is left hand threads on the left side...

According to the '36-48 parts book, left hand threaded bolts are for '40-48 (and maybe later). '33-39 should have right hand thread on both sides.

Guest jasonperkins

OK so seriously as a follow up....

I have been using a drum puller (the kind that screw into the hub and has a bolt in the center pushing against the axle)

I have the axle nut and cotter pin removed.

I have pb blaster the crap out of the whole thing

I have loosened the cams off as much as I can.

I have used a sledge hammer

AND I AM NOW ON MY 4TH BOLT ON THE PULLER it has ripped through 3 center bolts already on the puller.

Somebody please tell me what is wrong with my wheel here.

If the car is drivable, screw the axle nut back on, leave it loose by one thread, insert cotter pin, remount wheel, and drive the car around the block. That may be enough to break the drum loose. If not, drive it further and, if necessary, over rougher terrain. This has always worked for me.

• 10 months later...