1934 Chrysler Kew Six

Guest Neil0904Springers

Guest Neil0904Springers

Good Evening Everyone,

Over here in the UK we are very proud owners of a 1934 Chrysler Kew Six (We believe that originally in the states these were Plymouth PE) re-badged and exported to Kew Gardens hence the name :)

We are currently trying to locate a passenger side rear hub and drum as following an internal hub leak and several attempts at getting the hub off, it has received elements of damage.

What we do know is that many of the parts to make up these beautiful cars were sourced locally but we arew not sure if this was the case with drum and hub system. Does the Plymouth PE hub and drum fit the Chrysler for example ?

If anyone can help us and indeed helo to locate a supplier of such a thing we would be truely grateful....

Kind regards

Neil :)

I doubt that a drum from a North American Chrysler would fit but there is a good chance that one of the '34 Dodge models used the same drum. If I recall correctly the diameter and width of the drum is the same for '33 and '34 Plymouth but the part numbers are different. I'll take a look at my Plymouth parts books when I get home to verify. But I don't have the equivalent Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler books to see if there is a use of that part on those cars.

For 1934 the brake drum assembly per the preliminary parts book are as follows:

PE - 621639

PF - 602975

For 1933, the numbers are:

PC up to serial numbers 1817101 (Detroit) 3000610 (Los Angeles) and 9312255 (Windsor): 602975

PC after serial numbers 1817101 (Detroit) 3000610 (Los Angeles) and 9312255 (Windsor) and PD: 613626

For PC and PD equipped with the wood artillery wheel, use part number 600106.

Not sure that helps you, but if someone chimes in with parts for other Chrysler built cars it might allow you to see what else matches up.

Guest Neil0904Springers

Excellent, thank you so much guys so far, I have taken some photos which I will attempt to upload just after supper this evening.... Your help is greatly appreciated...

Guest Neil0904Springers

Thank you for that Sir, I have some photos of the brakes, but can't work out now how to up load them on here to show everyone !!!!

Guest Neil0904Springers

All my photos are in JPEG format and everytime I try and upload a photo on here it asked for a http:/ link can anyone help me please ?

Guest stephen48

When you open "reply to thread ' after you have written your comments scroll down to Additional Options then click on Manage Attachments. You will then see "browse"so click on that and go to Pictures and select the ones you want. Firstly reduce to 1800 pixels or less across.

Hope this helps. On my first attempt I was stuck until helped by Keiser 31.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your car.

To add images on the bottom of the screen

1) Click on 'Go Advanced'

2) On the top row of your reply box you will see a paper clip. Click on it or on “attach files manage attachments" down the screen-.

3) The 'Manage Attachments' window will appear.

4) Click on the 'Browse' button for that window.

5) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.

6) Click on the file

7) From the 'Manage Attachments' window click on 'Upload'.

8) Close the 'Manage Attachments' window.

9) Submit your reply when the message text is complete

Be sure to check on the upload screen they are attached by scrolling down

There is a limit of about 2000 pixels when posted as an attachment You can also add images to a gallery. Check your User CP (Control Panel)

For graphics software to resize images (and much more) try IrfanView - Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. Free to download with many features. Easy to use.

You can also make an album. Go to User CP (control panel)

Then link

Very nice find, as to parts I saw a radiator cap with winged gazelle a day or so ago they do come up now and then.

Dont just limit your search to 33 Chrysler, many components from 30 to 34 are interchangeable; also some of your Plymouths of the same era may be similar.

Guest Neil0904Springers

Here you go guys, finally pictures of the brakes I wanted you all to see, really need to try and find a replacement hub, and drum for my passenger side rear.... I will post some photos of the old girl herself in due course...

Thanks again everyone.....

post-85454-143138976915_thumb.jpg

post-85454-143138976925_thumb.jpg

post-85454-143138976933_thumb.jpg

Guest Neil0904Springers

And pictures of the old girl herself, she has been in our family of wedding cars ever since we started back in September of 2004, previously she was a wedding car in Northampton, England where the owner found her in a barn disused for over 40 years......

Without doubt, she is the pride of our fleet, even if we have got several other nice cars (for those interested, please see www.styleandgracecars.co.uk for the rest of the fleet).

Thank you so far for the interest guys, it really is very much appreciated....

Kind regards

Neil :)

post-85454-143138976941_thumb.jpg

post-85454-143138976942_thumb.jpg

post-85454-143138976943_thumb.jpg

Guest stephen48

The hub and drums appear to have been modified. The hubs are normally rivetted to the drums.

The hub and drums appear to have been modified. The hubs are normally rivetted to the drums.

Based on the lack of rust where the rivets are and the drill bit in one of the pictures, I'd say that was a really recent modification. :)

From the fact that the hub is still on the axle, I'm assuming that you don't have the correct puller to get it off... Seems like the new pullers made in China break pretty easily so you'd be better off finding a vintage one. Not sure how common those are in the UK but they can be found in the US. Usually fairly expensive and they are heavy so shipping might be an issue.

As to finding a good new drum, that might not be easy. Only used one close to that in '33 and '34 and they are not readily available in the US. I've been keeping my eyes open for a set in better condition than my own for years now. Granted it hasn't been a full time search, but no luck so far.

Guest Neil0904Springers

Good Morning All,

Sorry for the delay in replying, yes i can confirm that the modification was very recently in an attempt to get the drum off by my garage. We have managed to get it back together but i am still very desperate to get either a new drum or a means of getting it off so that we can repair what we believe to be the hub oil seal.

We tried a modern hub extractor but absolutely nothing was giving, but if anyone could guide us towards a supplier of a vintage one to achieve this aim it would be greatly appreciated. Heavy and costly to export I can almost handle if it helps solve the longer term issue we sadly have.

I can not thank you all enough for your help so far, I merely stumbled across this site by chance over here in Suffolk, UK but it has already provided me with a tremendous amount of information regarding our vintage american beauty....

Thank you one all :)

Regards

Neil

As you already have the drum off why dont you make up a puller from 1/2" plate.

If you cut a piece of plate about the same size as the outside diameter of the hub, drill and tap a 5/8" hole in the center and 1/2" holes in a circle to match the wheel studs. Put 1/2" high tensile bolts through the stud holes with nuts on the back of the hub and the larger stud pushing on the end of the axle.

Wrap a piece of small chain or similar around the front of the puller and around the axle and backing plate so when the hub flies off (and it will) it wont decapitate you or anyone else.

Start winding the pressure on to the center stud (keeping well out of the way) and when you really have the pressure on and if it hasn't moved, try banging hard on the side of the hub where the keyway/axle is with a fairly solid hammer and keep winding more pressure on.

If that still hasn't moved it keep the pressure on and heat the hub up with an oxy torch and when it expands it should let go.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

Have you tried a good 3 jaw puller? It requires a lot of force to shift the hubs after they have grown together with the shaft for 80 years. Find a puller usually used for trucks or heavy machinery, often you can rent them from tool rental agencies. You need a puller that will bolt to the wheel bolts.

I have an original puller from a defunct Chrysler agency. It is nothing special except for the cone shape and 5 bolt holes matching the wheel bolt pattern. A regular puller will do as well.

...We have managed to get it back together but i am still very desperate to get either a new drum or a means of getting it off so that we can repair what we believe to be the hub oil seal. ...

Part number for the '34 is different than for the '33 but they sure look the same to me. So this might be of interest for you: 1933 Plymouth Rear Axle Oil Seal Repair

Why could you not adapt another brake drum of the right diameter? I know cars are all disc brakes but some light truck might use a suitable drum on the rear, even if it needed the bolt holes drilled it would allow safe use of the car. You could keep the old drum if anyone wanted to make it original in the future.