56 Brake Problem

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

My 1956 brakes are not too great. My mechanic thought it was the power vacuum booster , but we can't seem to find it. There is a big can over on the left front fender, sort of behind the wheel well, but does not look like the power booster in the manual. Maybe I have a car without vacuum power booster, did they make them that way? And what is that can on the fender, just has a hose going in the bottom, but that is it.

Jerry, if your mechanic can't find the booster, i recommend you do not let him touch it. The power brake system on a 56 is a one year only application and very rare. You really do not want just anyone messing with that thing.

For the record, you look to the outboard side of the steering shaft and will see a plug with a square top. That's the cap for the reservoir. The booster is below that and you have to remove it from inside the car.

Guest gunjeep444

Another brake problem came up. I had one front drum that must have been from a Special. It was 2 1/4", so the ROadmaster shoes were rubbing on the inside. I got a used drum from ebay. Seemed to be the same, but once installed it rubbed on the backing plate. Comparing it to the other good drum, this one has a slight lip on it, that rubs on the inside of the backing plate. Otherwise seems the same as the other. So we are going to see if the guy that turned the drum inside, can turn down this lip on the outside. If not, we'll just grind it off, I guess.

The power brake booster on a '56 Roadmaster (standard equipment on the 70-series cars in 1956, I believe) is right under the brake pedal on the other side of the floor board. THere is an access panel in the floor board which unbolts from the rest of the floor. I agree with John. If you mechanic doesn't know where it is, he doesn;t need to be working on that car, unless he just removes it and sends it off to a rebuilder.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest gunjeep444

The auto parts store found a place in Florida that rebuilds them, anyone know about that, or a place to get them rebuilt? I think I can get him to take it out. Much involved beyond taking it out through the floorboard? I don't recall a panel there, when I put new carpet in, but guess it is there. Would appreciate any info/pix.

Jerry,

Here are a couple of photos from the interior and from the engine compartment. The black panel on the primer colored floor is the removable access panel. The master cylinder is the silver colored object just below the steering column.

Not the best pictures but they should give you an idea of what you are looking for. Good luck.

post-63849-143138950693_thumb.jpg

post-63849-143138950696_thumb.jpg

Jerry,

Look up "Booster Dewey" on the internet. He's either in California or Oregon and did a great job recently on rebuilding the power brake booster of my '62 Plymouth Fury. The price was very reasonable, I thought, around $120 if I remember right. His specialty seems to be the older cars.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Here is another option, you may want to compare prices. Wouldn't surprise me if Power Brake didn't do the rebuild on this one though. The first one I ever sent out to get rebuilt was to White Post Restorations. Came back still wrapped in Power Brake shipping box.:rolleyes:

1956 BUICK DELCO REBUILT BRAKE BOOSTER TREADLEVAC TREADLE VAC RARE | eBay

Guest gunjeep444

I got it out today and am sending it to Power Brake, figured that way I get it back and am sure it will be the right one. THanks for all your help.

Booster Dewey rebuilt and correctly replated my 1960 Electra booster about 2 years ago. He did a real nice job. It worked and has continued to work. The turn around time was good.

John and Pete replied the same as I was thinking. If a repairman can't find the part in question on your car head for home FAST.

Bernie