CD player bad - any suggestions for repair?

Bushwack

CD player in my '90 Reatta will not play. I'll insert the CD (Jethro Tull's Aqualung), it will read it for 3 seconds then I'll get an error message (err) and out comes the CD (must be a mechanical issue - who doesn't like Jethro Tull?!).

I've tried inserting two other CDs (one I burned from my iPod and a Doors CD with the same results). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I don't have a delco CD to compare, but I bet you could swap in an old computer CD player's guts into the delco box and get it to work. I think the delco player used a drive with the same standard as a computer used.

Mine was doing the same. I took the cover off and cleaned the laser optic and it works fine now. Try some isopropyl alcohol on a Q tip. I left the cover off, plugged it in and tested it and it worked better so cleaned it again. Be gentle with it and let it dry before trying playing it.

The Q tip should just be damp not soaked with the alcohol. Use 90% pure. Should be able to find it at any drug store or even the grocery store.

Good luck.

Mine was doing the same. I took the cover off and cleaned the laser optic and it works fine now. Try some isopropyl alcohol on a Q tip. I left the cover off, plugged it in and tested it and it worked better so cleaned it again. Be gentle with it and let it dry before trying playing it.

The Q tip should just be damp not soaked with the alcohol. Use 90% pure. Should be able to find it at any drug store or even the grocery store.

Good luck.

The nerve some of you have to make fun of a group who won a Grammy over Metallica!

In regards to cleaning the laser optic, does that require removing the unit? I'm trying to seek other alternatives/solutions before disassembling the console (and everything else involved) to remove the unit.

I think United Radio is the best in the business. Am fortunate to have them right down the street here in Syracuse, NY, but they service car radios and CD players nationwide.

My CD player doesn't accept Jethro, but plays all of the Jimmy Sturr band's greatest hits. Am sure no one on the forum knows who he is, but he has won 18 Grammy's...(more than Tull, Metallica and the Stones combined. So there.

Edited by NYBobP (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

Good luck.

agree with the above!!! :)

obviously not in my '89 Reatta, but in a '01 toyota rav. i've also used a philips dvd/cd cleaner, bought at "wally", for another cd player. if i remember correctly, put the cleaner on the included disc, and let it run for awhile (check directions for how long - can't recall)...

it's been my experience that (at least) pre-2001 factory cd players are picky when it comes to CD-R or CD-RW. some brands work - some don't. also the "speed" recorded when burned off a 'puter matters. the slower, the better.

and, the only CD that should be tried first, when repaired, is a "factory made" Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"!!! :D my cat, "Pink", and german shepherd, "Floyd" endorse this message... :P

and, slowly going over to MP3. will pick up a cassette/MP3 adapter for my reatta - if i can ever get it running correctly!!! :)

Cleaning is certainly worth the try. I sent one to M&R and they probably did the same for $175. Works great now, but doesn't play CD-R or CD-RW. (Though a while back KDirk explained that they may have to be burned with fewer tracks in order to work.)

My traditional 'first cut' on any new piece of stereo equipment is, and has been since the 1970s, "Take a Pebble" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Though I have to admit that when I put a working CD player in my Reatta, one of the kids old Scooby Doo CDs was collecting dust in the garage and got grabbed first. We'll call it an indulgance and mistake of youth... Some serious EL&P was definitely next up. Dark Side of the Moon was not far behind.

The nerve some of you have to make fun of a group who won a Grammy over Metallica!

In regards to cleaning the laser optic, does that require removing the unit? I'm trying to seek other alternatives/solutions before disassembling the console (and everything else involved) to remove the unit.

Yes, you will have to remove it and take the top cover off to clean the optic. I wouldn't try sticking a Q tip thru the slot. I didn't have much luck with the CD cleaning disks but I've never used the type that Corvanti described that uses cleaner applied to it. The one I tried simply had a small brush that is supposed to knock the dust off the optic. It didn't work for me.

From my experience sometimes someone who knows what they are doing can clean and readjust the laser but most likely will not work. I am also told the lasers for the early CD players is no longer available.

I do have available a good working CD player that I have updated. It takes in the CD much faster and plays it much sooner than the originals.

Ervin I will send you and email.

Jim

Guest Corvanti

ok, the cleaner cd doesn't turn, do the "factory" music cd's turn at all, but just won't read? i'm ass-u-ming you can see the cd "turn" in the reatta player (mine is a '89 w/cassette)...

if the factory cd's turn, i'd try turning the cleaner cd over - these things aren't made by cal-tech engineers. :P

if nothing moves, i doubt it's just the laser not working, even if you hear a "motor" running.

just my $0.02 from messing with them over the years. :)

ok, the cleaner cd doesn't turn, do the "factory" music cd's turn at all, but just won't read? i'm ass-u-ming you can see the cd "turn" in the reatta player (mine is a '89 w/cassette)...

if the factory cd's turn, i'd try turning the cleaner cd over - these things aren't made by cal-tech engineers. :P

if nothing moves, i doubt it's just the laser not working, even if you hear a "motor" running.

just my $0.02 from messing with them over the years. :)

Once the CD is in the unit, you can't see it move. No matter what type of CD is inserted, it will not turn. Didn't think of turning the CD cleaner over and then insert. Don't think I have anything to lose to try it.

Guest Corvanti

if nothing's turning, flipping the cd cleaner probably won't help. :(

sounds like it's time for a rebuild or a unit from Mr. Finn/other vendors, etc.

i'd probably go with a mp3 player. there are wireless adapters that will broadcast over fm radio, but some wireless adapters do not broadcast in stereo, so watch out for that. you can download your cd's on your 'puter, and upload to a mp3 player or most "smart phones".

this is from someone who also still has a turntable and listens to "vinyl" albums... :P

Guest my82roc

There is a shop in virginia that does great work with a 1 year warranty.Normally should cost around 100 dollars.Ive used him several times in the past and the units are all still working fine

Guest steveskyhawk

I have 2 complete 1990 CD upgrade kits listed in my eBay store if anyone is interested. One kit has a freshly overhauled (M&R Electronics) CD unit and the other "kit" has an untested CD player. These kits include everything you will need (including the 6 leg wire harness) necessary to add the factory slave CD option to your Reatta or Riviera. These kits are plug and play. I have both the Grey Reatta CD bezel and the woodgrain bezel available in the event you are installing this kit in a Riviera.

Guest Richard D

If your spindle motor is not turning it could be a bad motor or drive circuit. These motors constantly change speed depending on where the laser is on the disc. This way the info goes past the lens at the same speed, when you start at track 1 the lens is at the inside of the disc so it spins faster, as the lens moves out towards the last track it slows down. I know, more than you wanted to know...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rodz1

I have a 93 low mileage Riviera

-under 40,000 which is low to me-

when I load a cd into the factory player

it just click click clicks, won't mount the cd

I doubt the prev. owners used the cd player much

it should last longer than 39,000 miles

any ideas

Thanks

Desh

Guest Mc_Reatta

Miles don't matter for electronics, age and heat do.

Might be as simple as cleaning the laser and reading lenses, or much more difficult.

Can't do or see much unless you remove from car and take the case off. Knowing if the disk spins up at all tells a little but not all.

If your not an electronics tech, best bets are to send out for repair or simply replace with another good one or something better.

Yesterday I shipped a good CD player to Ervin.

Last week I went through my stack of CD players and updated four players. I also have one player that had been repaired by a shop, had a repair sticker on it and when I tested it, it worked good.

Other than that one, the ones I have available have been updated and are in good working condition. These players now take in the CD faster and start to play faster.

I have four good working CD players available and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

HI JIm Can you post a pic

so I can make sure its the same unit

that came with my 83?

Thanks

Desh

It is.

This is a file picture and the mounting on top in this picture would not be there.

I am also adding a picture of the bezels as used in the Reattas black, and the Rivieras wood grain. The bezel pictures are for information only and would not come with the CD player.

post-30613-143138960912_thumb.jpg

post-30613-143138960915_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...