1925 Dodge side curtains ?

Pete K.

Pete, I've been following this thread casually, and I have no real idea, but for my 2c worth, and what popped in my head originally, was:

do the holes in the mystery canvas thingy match the spacing of the holes in the top of your doors? I am presuming your doors are similar and you have some there like I do on mine. (I don't even know for sure, or have not seen what goes in them yet!).

Just a thought.

Ross :)

Thanks Pete. The body on my car is Australian so not quite the same. Unfortunately, the front seat has been re-made at sometime in the past and there is no storage space. Actually, I am considering changing it anyway because it is too high. In fact my head touches the top untill the seat eventually squishes down. It would be a good opportunity to include some storage space.

I still can't get over how lucky you were to find that car and all that other stuff. The guy really had no idea. Not a clue!

Ray.

Ross, The fasteners on my doors don't align even near the mystery shroud. They do of course, fit my side curtain bottom edges and the sockets for the side curtain rods. I only have one twist-tab fastener screwed to the upper cowl, on each side, and snap fasteners, one on each door, just under the rod socket. Has "Lift-The Dot" fasteners at rear. Anyway, Ray, you're right, the son had no clue--I feel his dad is looking down and smiling though.

Guest 1930
Jason, I do have a copy of that booklet and saw those pictures too. Again, I must dismiss the idea of my pouch in question ever stowing anything like the side curtains or the rods. When folded up, it measures only 10 inches by 16 inches with NO sign of anything metallic or sharp or pointy or greasy ever in it. Try folding up all six side curtains without creasing the Isinglass and see how large of a bundle you have in front of you. As far as the rods, they are too long to fit in this pouch. I still say it must have been for the manuals--(?)-- To answer your question Ray, all the items you mentioned, should fit fine under the front seat. At least in my Budd-bodied Dodge there is room, there is where I found tools and crank among many mouse houses (and mouse out-houses).

I agree that the side curtains would not fit, you mentioned in another post I thought that you did not have any of the rods, I dont believe ( almost would say with certainty ) that the car did not originally come with any sort of a pouch for manuals.

Might be the pouch isnt part of the original vehicle

Guest 1930
Pete, I've been following this thread casually, and I have no real idea, but for my 2c worth, and what popped in my head originally, was:

do the holes in the mystery canvas thingy match the spacing of the holes in the top of your doors? I am presuming your doors are similar and you have some there like I do on mine. (I don't even know for sure, or have not seen what goes in them yet!).

Just a thought.

Ross :)

Two little rods attached to the cloth/canvas side curtain are what go in these holes

Ross, The fasteners on my doors don't align even near the mystery shroud. They do of course, fit my side curtain bottom edges and the sockets for the side curtain rods. I only have one twist-tab fastener screwed to the upper cowl, on each side, and snap fasteners, one on each door, just under the rod socket. Has "Lift-The Dot" fasteners at rear. Anyway, Ray, you're right, the son had no clue--I feel his dad is looking down and smiling though.

Oh well, there's 2c I'll never see again.

"Mystery shroud".......this thing is taking on religious connotations!:D

And yes, you sure are one lucky SOB ;)

P.S. Looking at pics of your tourer again, what is the bracket on the bottom of your radiator surround with the two slots in it for?

Two little rods attached to the cloth/canvas side curtain are what go in these holes

I figured as much, but I have not seen the "window" part in any detail yet. My '69 Landcruiser has a similar system in principal, but it is all solid frame and glass that separates from the bottom half of the door.

Jason, You're correct in remembering I do not have the side curtain rods for the Dodge. I'm sure the scrap men took them before I was able to find them. The son had no idea they were automotive in nature and let them go. Probably my saddles too, since they weren't stored in the car. Anyway, I do see how long the rods would have to be--by the slots in my curtains and depth of the door sockets and I've had other rods for other old cars before. I strongly believe this pouch was from "A Dodge", whether the '25 or one earlier since I've found many spares for a '22-'23 Dodge roadster. The pouch was in the large box where I found my original six side curtains for the '25. To answer your question Ross, it is a license plate bracket. Original equipment.

Guest 1930
Jason, You're correct in remembering I do not have the side curtain rods for the Dodge. I'm sure the scrap men took them before I was able to find them. The son had no idea they were automotive in nature and let them go. Probably my saddles too, since they weren't stored in the car. Anyway, I do see how long the rods would have to be--by the slots in my curtains and depth of the door sockets and I've had other rods for other old cars before. I strongly believe this pouch was from "A Dodge", whether the '25 or one earlier since I've found many spares for a '22-'23 Dodge roadster. The pouch was in the large box where I found my original six side curtains for the '25. To answer your question Ross, it is a license plate bracket. Original equipment.

Thats a shame on the rods, after I made that post I kinda though to myself that the rods would prob. be too long but never having owned anything that early and no touring cars I would only have been guessing.

Guest 1930
I figured as much, but I have not seen the "window" part in any detail yet. My '69 Landcruiser has a similar system in principal, but it is all solid frame and glass that separates from the bottom half of the door.

69 Lancruiser, now we are talkin.

I have always wanted to own one of those, the suspension was un-breakable, I used to do alot of off-roading and mud bogging. I had an 86 CJ-7, last year designated as off road utility vehicle for the jeep.

Original AMC engine, body lift/ susp lift with 36 super swampers, hard to keep down but nothing compared to the cruisers.

69 Lancruiser, now we are talkin.

I have always wanted to own one of those, the suspension was un-breakable, I used to do alot of off-roading and mud bogging. I had an 86 CJ-7, last year designated as off road utility vehicle for the jeep.

Original AMC engine, body lift/ susp lift with 36 super swampers, hard to keep down but nothing compared to the cruisers.

Sounds interesting, Jason. Can you describe 'body/lift susp lift with 36 swampers, hard to keep down' for me. My daily driver is a Land Rover P38 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue. Will go anywhere off road but still nice. ;)

Ray

Guest 1930

Hello Ray, what I meant to have understood was that the vehicle had spacers between the fame and the body to raise it higher and had an aftermarket susp. lift to raise it even more. Super swampers are a variety of tire and hard to keep down was inferring that I didnt get stuck in the deep end very often.

That's great, Jason. My P38 has air suspension. You set it for high but if it grounds out there are sensors that lift it another 3". Generally, it's bomb proof but I did have to rebuild the compressor the other day. Also, it's thirsty so I had it converted to run on LPG. Still, I prefer it to other off roaders. If things get too bad there is always the tractor :eek:

Guest 1930
Jason, I do have a copy of that booklet and saw those pictures too. Again, I must dismiss the idea of my pouch in question ever stowing anything like the side curtains or the rods. When folded up, it measures only 10 inches by 16 inches with NO sign of anything metallic or sharp or pointy or greasy ever in it. Try folding up all six side curtains without creasing the Isinglass and see how large of a bundle you have in front of you. As far as the rods, they are too long to fit in this pouch. I still say it must have been for the manuals--(?)-- To answer your question Ray, all the items you mentioned, should fit fine under the front seat. At least in my Budd-bodied Dodge there is room, there is where I found tools and crank among many mouse houses (and mouse out-houses).

Pete, you may be aware that your car originally came with an envelope, ( woven heavy paper of some sort ) that carried all your original instruction books/ignition/horn wrench.

I have never seen one for as early car as yours, I have never seen one I dont think for a DA but I do have one I believe for 31 possibly and have some others a couple of years later.

Do you have one of these envelopes or can anyone here show a picture of what this envelope looked like?

Mike, we saw footage on the news Last night. Amazing that it has survived so long unseen!

Did you see; Suzanne Poynton - Williams from Colwyn Bay in North Wales (not too far from here)has responded to that forum to say the pilot, Dennis Copping, would have been her great, great uncle. I hope they find his remains and give him a proper military funeral. We owe so much to brave guys like him it chokes me up.

Ray.

Pete, you may be aware that your car originally came with an envelope, ( woven heavy paper of some sort ) that carried all your original instruction books/ignition/horn wrench.

I have never seen one for as early car as yours, I have never seen one I dont think for a DA but I do have one I believe for 31 possibly and have some others a couple of years later.

Do you have one of these envelopes or can anyone here show a picture of what this envelope looked like?

Just a thought, Jason; do you know if the envelopes that you have (for later cars) have 'Dodge Brothers' printed on them? Would you have expected the marketing guys to have taken the opportunity to promote the Dodge Brothers' name - even back in '25?

I suppose what I am asking you is, in your experience, if the envelope was marked 'Dodge Brothers' would you not expect Brian's pouch/shroud to also carry their name if it was with the car from new, or even as an after market product?

Ray

Guest 1930
Just a thought, Jason; do you know if the envelopes that you have (for later cars) have 'Dodge Brothers' printed on them? Would you have expected the marketing guys to have taken the opportunity to promote the Dodge Brothers' name - even back in '25?

I suppose what I am asking you is, in your experience, if the envelope was marked 'Dodge Brothers' would you not expect Brian's pouch/shroud to also carry their name if it was with the car from new, or even as an after market product?

Ray

Petes pouch ( from what I know ) was never originally intended as an original item delivered with the car to hold literature.

Marketing guys were even more apt to print the name D.B every opportunity they could and yes the later envelopes had D.B printed all over them.

I dont even think it was aftermarket to hold books as the instruction book for his car is much smaller than the pouch and the maintenance manuals are even a bit smaller or approx same size.

I believe there is a good chance it goes with the car for some purpose but I just dont know for what yet.

I know that old saying about calling the kettle black but do you ever take a break from this site Ray???? Your always here, just kidding, nice to see you.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Well guys, Thought I'd post a couple fresh pictures of my "shroud of tourin' ", (thanks Ray), with the March 1925 Book of Information laying in it. As we can see, the booklet is dwarfed in the center of it. BUT, the pouch is way too small for all six side curtains to get folded up into it. It would then be too tall of a pouch to fit under any seat in the touring car. I don't believe it buttoned onto the top when folded down to act as a sling or boot of any type. It does not appear to have ever held anything metallic or heavy, or greasy. It's pretty clean for a piece like this to be stowed under a seat of a car for almost 90 years. It is definitely missing the two male fasteners, I think they're called Murphy fasteners that would mate up to the other part fastener holes on it's edge. I photographed it in the folded up postion, empty. I know all of you are getting fed up with this subject of my "shroud", so this will be the last of it. I thank ALL OF YOU for your input for me and this "FLAP-FLOP".---Best, Pete.

I am not fed up with it at all. I think that it is a great mystery. It may not even go to that car. I would love to see someone come up with another that may have been from their own Dodge Brothers car.

I am not fed up with it at all. I think that it is a great mystery. It may not even go to that car. I would love to see someone come up with another that may have been from their own Dodge Brothers car.

Or even from any car...

Seriously Pete, I think you should make this go viral and post it up on the "General Discussion" board. Surely there is enough knowledge kicking around on the entire AACA forum site that if it is car related then somebody will have seen something like it.

Besides, why should we have all the fun! :)

Does the '25 have some type of removable glass as an option instead of the isinglass for the rear window or side curtains? Looks like THAT may fit if there was such a thing - maybe. :confused:

(Love this thread! It's a good mystery! Keep it going "Pete K."!) ;)

Guest 1930
Well guys, Thought I'd post a couple fresh pictures of my "shroud of tourin' ", (thanks Ray), with the March 1925 Book of Information laying in it. As we can see, the booklet is dwarfed in the center of it. BUT, the pouch is way too small for all six side curtains to get folded up into it. It would then be too tall of a pouch to fit under any seat in the touring car. I don't believe it buttoned onto the top when folded down to act as a sling or boot of any type. It does not appear to have ever held anything metallic or heavy, or greasy. It's pretty clean for a piece like this to be stowed under a seat of a car for almost 90 years. It is definitely missing the two male fasteners, I think they're called Murphy fasteners that would mate up to the other part fastener holes on it's edge. I photographed it in the folded up postion, empty. I know all of you are getting fed up with this subject of my "shroud", so this will be the last of it. I thank ALL OF YOU for your input for me and this "FLAP-FLOP".---Best, Pete.

Dont give up yet Pete, I am still trying to find someone that would know

I know that old saying about calling the kettle black but do you ever take a break from this site Ray???? Your always here, just kidding, nice to see you.

Yesterday, I helped my neighbour repair the top on his 12/50 Alvis, then I machined some brake drums for my Austin. Later, I cut the grass and dug over the vegetable patch then split some logs. When eventually, I logged onto this site, my wife complained that I spent too much time on here!. Honestly, Jason, I do other things as well but no one believes me! :D

That's true. I'm up before the postman arrives! ;)

For the benefit of anyone who is wondering what we are on about: Ron has generously sent me a white faced ammeter which will grace the dash of my '26 touring.

You are a gentleman, Ron.

many thanks,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Thanks guys, This will keep going 'till there's no other ideas left. The Dodge doesn't have any removable windows. The pouch matches up with one of the two sets of touring car side curtains I found. (see photo's of the two sets on another older post of mine). I will get that one set out and fold them up to the best of my ability, following the original creases in the side curtains, just to see what size of a pile of curtains I wind up with. I will post these photo's when I can do it.

I started thinking that this "shroud of tourin'" matches up with a set of side curtains, it has no grease marks or odd indentations, folds relatively flat (too large for brochures, too small for tool box)...I had thought of glass too like removable windwings or maybe visors when you put the top and side curtains up...Also, when you'd put the side curtains on it might be a cool or rainy day and I thought of maybe lap robe storage?...may sound weird as I don't think that was an accessory at the time...just thinkin'....yeah, this mystery is a good one!

I think we're getting very close now with Bob's ideas. Windwings are definitely in the way if one installs the front side curtains. It could be done with them in place but not the proper way for 1925. I'm now really leaning towards the lap robe envelope, the car has a robe rail, where would one store it when warm weather comes? In the linen closet upstairs in the house? I think not. What if a group is travelling between chilly and warm temps? The linen closet is way far from them now. I don't believe there are any folks left alive today to remember these kind of details about where the lap robe was stored, at least in Dodges in 1925 or earlier. I'm going with Bob's answer for now. Thank you all again!---Pete.