VERY IMPORTANT tire video!

Guest bofusmosby

Quite honestly, other than poorly re-treaded tires flying of tractor trailers and the occassional driver that runs the radial flat until it's shredded, todays tires perform very well. I worked for Goodyear over 11 years. Tires never sat long enough to pass the "shelf life". Those that did were removed from inventory.

The last time I put tires on the Tahoe it ran about $700.00 after balancing, taxes, warranty etc.. And, the date code was two years old, but safe. This really makes me want to run out and buy a new set when I put on about 10,000 miles or less a year. How come the old Model A&T tires lasted forever and today's new stuff is good for 6 years? Must be planned obsolescence.

One blowout at hiway speeds will forever change your attitude towards older tires. I still can taste the leather from the seats in my 72 Caddy after a blowout at 70mph. I NEVER take a chance on older worn tires. My Amphicar has sat since late summer due to my tires cracking. Not worth putting anybody in danger over a few dollars. Would you be OK with old batteries in smoke detectors in your home, what about old fire extinguisers or any other safety equipment?

Yes, this is good marketing but that does not in any way take away from the very real dangers here. It is also true that new does not mean "good," it only means new.

I could care less if there are more horse related incidents (or any other comparison), I don't want to be the one who gets killed or worse due to a faulty tire. Just because it never happened before does not preclude it from happening.

The last time I put tires on the Tahoe it ran about $700.00 after balancing, taxes, warranty etc.. And, the date code was two years old, but safe. This really makes me want to run out and buy a new set when I put on about 10,000 miles or less a year. How come the old Model A&T tires lasted forever and today's new stuff is good for 6 years? Must be planned obsolescence.

'28 Plymouth weighed in at around 2500 lbs depending on body style, typical highway speed 45 MPH.

'04 average American car 4000 lbs, typical highway speed 75 MPH.

Quite a different service environment the tires have to deal with...

(I'm guessing a Model T would be lighter and a Model A would be about the same weight as the Plymouth but my first cut at a web search did not turn up answers. 2004 weight from Average U.S. Car Is Tipping Scales at 4,000 Pounds - NYTimes.com)

One blowout at hiway speeds will forever change your attitude towards older tires.

I think the point here is, would your attitude change likewise if the tire that blew was a new tire? Or are you saying that new tires are prone from blowing out?

Again, I would like to know how many blowouts are attributed to older tires, and how many of those involved a death. The reason I brought up the comparison with horse-related accidents and deaths was because, if it's not a big deal with horse-related deaths, why should it be a big deal with tire-related deaths?

I think the point here is, would your attitude change likewise if the tire that blew was a new tire? Or are you saying that new tires are prone from blowing out?

Yes it would have changed my attitude as I would not have the comparison of having an old tire blow as opposed to buying a new tire that failed probably due to a mfg defect rather than age. I as most anyone would expect if not demand that new tires should not be prone to failure. As with anything there will always be an amount of defective product that gets out.

Again, I would like to know how many blowouts are attributed to older tires, and how many of those involved a death. The reason I brought up the comparison with horse-related accidents and deaths was because, if it's not a big deal with horse-related deaths, why should it be a big deal with tire-related deaths?

I don't have that info but I am sure somewhere out there it exists. I'd be curious too. Even if it's but one, would you want to be that "one"?

Horses are living creatures with a mind of their own, not inanimate objects that have regulations governing their safety. You are betting your life on that. When you get on a horse there is a certain amount of caution you must have because they can be unpredictable. You should not have to exercise that same caution with your tires.

In the 1960s, it was not uncommon for farmers to take the old tires from their pickups and put them on farm plows and grain "drills". As long as they held air, they were fine. But they were not running down the crowded highways we have now at 60mph+.

In many respects, USA drivers can over-buy tires. Spending money for long tread life, when they need to plan on replacing their tires after about 3 yrs and 40K-50K miles. Especially if the respective vehicles tend to sit a lot. But for a daily-driver car that's driven 50 miles day, the tires can possibly last up to 90K in the right brand and type.

Key thing, which really affects the vintage car hobby, is that after the tire is cooked in the mold, the innards start to deteriorate pretty soon afterward. Think "dry rot", just like vehicle cloth seat covers can be affected by, but still look pristinely new under the clear plastic seat covers.

As mentioned in these forums several years ago, the "six year rule" was originally noted by a poster familiar with BFG and their warranty policies. As stated, if the tire is six years old, they will NOT warranty it . . . if it's in their warehouse, it's disposed of. So, to me, it would appear that the more a tire is used, the longer its life can be . . . time-wise.

As some 14" and 15" tire sizes, which used to be very common in prior times, have vanished from tire producers' offerings, purchasing them in repro can become very expensive . . . especially if they have to be replaced when they look "perfectly good" 4 years from now. So, it appears that another reason to drive our older cars might be to keep the tires "exercised" so they'll possibly last longer?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Water Jacket

I'm with Vertigo and sscargo on this. Beware of blanket statements, generalizations. There are too many variables. We know plenty of people with scrupulously maintained Cords, Cadillacs, Packards, Delahayes, '50s Ferraris, a '64 Lusso, Nash-Healey-- you name it. These cars sit in dark, cool garages not exposed to UV rays and are driven only occasionally and only when tire pressure correct. Sorry, but don't know any of the above who discards the above tires with no discernible wear every six (6) years.

But you can't go wrong invoking safety and an emotional, hot button issue. And, should any of the above get a flat tire for any reason, you can depend on the i told you so's.

Yes, there's ozone in the air. Yes, age can take a toll on tires. But the parameters are too wide for generalizations.

On daily transportation cars, or hobby cars driven often on long weekend tours, then baked in the sun all day at arid meets and shows, perhaps another matter.

Meanwhile, tires consume huge amounts of petroleum and energy to produce, so let's not use scare tactics in this already wasteful society.

Edited by Water Jacket (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

I didn't make this post as being the chicken that runs around saying "the sky is falling". I just wanted everyone to be aware of this possibility on their older tires. In all honesty, I doubt I could afford to replace my tires as often as they say, and besides, I will never be driving my car on the interstate. BUT, it does give a bit of insight as to what might be going on with the older tires.

I have had experience with both new tires that have failed and older tires. A few years ago I had a high end tire made from that French company fail after only nine months old while driving down the expressway towing a trailer. Tires can fail at any age. I can say that the tire pressure was correct because I had checked it only a couple of days earlier.

Other that the occasional tire failure because of stuff happens, IMO, the most important item to tire safety is having the correct tire pressure.

Trailer tires are another issue but correct tire pressure is the number one most important item.