Vintage Tires - Check Your D.O.T. Date Codes on 'New' Tires

Brian_Heil

Didn't want to put the name of the vintage tire company in the title of this post but they are in Tennessee.:)

Had to order a 500x24 B. F. Goodrich balloon for the Buick since I hit something with one of the rears. Good news is it was the worst of the 4 with 30% tread remaining.

Back to the topic. My 'new' tire arrives (now $250 including shipping, ouch) and I fill out the card they give you to register your tire in case of a recall.

Checking the tire D.O.T. code, I find out it was manufactured in 2006. Now some of you might take exception to me knowing what year it is, but it is 2012. That's a 6+ year old tire being sold as 'new' and yes they did raise the price again for 2012.

Now the better news. A call to their customer service dept. got me an $80 refund. I suggested the amount because that was how much less the tire cost 6 years ago when they were actually new. (I had an old catalog and they confirmed it).

So, check those tire D.O.T. codes out there. Caveat Emptor!

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

I hear you Brother. But it matches the other 3 and the spare and they mentioned they only had 1 left in stock after I got mine. No word on when they are going to run another batch or if there even are.

But now I have $80 to put in the kitty for gas. We get 8% of our fuel from the middle east (as a country) but they can make the price jump 30%. That's Washington DC math.

Thanks, Michael.

I was wondering because I've run tubeless radials on my '38 for years. Seems like they'd just have to beef up the bead. I've got my eye on those Goodyear repros, but no way am I going to revisit the tire-iron follies of my college days.

I am far from a tire expert but I am guessing it would have something to do with the wheels/rims we are mounting the tires on. Not sure they would support tubeless tires. Just my guess.

Thanks,

I must believe some of this "date code" stuff is hype..... Washington lobbiest trying to scare car owner into the inevitable law that forces you to buy new tires after the old ones reach a pre-determined (by the tire companies) age.

Tire quality (and life) are dependant on both quality materials and process. Do some manufacturers justify higher prices just because of a brand name or are the tire better made?

Ponder this...... last year one of the national car magazines did an article on A.J. Foyts old Indy roadster "Calhoon" which resides at the Indianapolis 500 museum. They actually drove it on the speedway at speeds between 60-70 with Firestone tires that were over 40 years old. Why would the speedway, magazine and driver feel ok with using those old tires if there was any reason to believe they were "bad"

I'm thinking that INSPECTION is more important than a build date.

Exposure to UV light is most critical factor. Trailors and motor homes sitting outside have tire problems in 4 to 6 years. Vehicles kept inside out of sunlight are good for a long tme. I've seen tires in great condition after 20 years in storage.

Bob

I looked at a '50 Cadillac in the late 90's that was still riding on it's original tires. It had about 13K miles on it and it had been driven all the way from Minnesota to California after the new owner bought it. The car along with the tires still looked like new.

We're mixing apples and oranges here. Bias ply tires have always lasted longer than radials due to the way they are built. the radials fail with age because the belts rely on the rubber sticking to the belt at high pressure.

When the rubber dries out with age they separate and let us down.

I have a 35 Ford with Allstate bias ply's from the early 1970's that are hard as a stone but round and hold air. i wouldn't drive it on the Interstate, but around town is still fine.

Below is a picture of a perfect looking raidial on a 56 T-Bird that was 8 years old until it died. The lucky driver didn't!

I think old bias ply's are fine with regular inspections for dry rot, but radials are dangerous after 6 years. My 35 buick has radials and at 6 years I had one blow out in the garage, prompting 4 new ones!

post-32318-143138910362_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Back on topic.

The 'fun' with our 'friends' in Tennessee continues. Two bank statements with no credit from them shown and now my third call to their customer service as of today. This time I requested a return call by the Customer Service Manager when the refund had been processed with a confirmation number. Just got the call back. Will keep you posted when I get my next statement.

Helped the boss with her garage sale prep yesterday and today so I hope to get the Buick out for the first time this weekend. Great weather here in Michigan.