Hand Polishing Stainless Trim

Steve_Mack_CT

Any recomendations on a product for stainless trim? I am not looking to remove and polish with a wheel, just looking for a good hand polishing product. I really found the old Dupont #7 good for this but as has been discussed here before, I think - it appears they changed the formula?

Thinking something a touch more "agressive" than say, Mother's which is fine on chrome but does not seem to do much with stainless trim. I have miles of this stuff on the SL.

Thanks

Start with this link. Everything you wanted to know and probably a little more.

Polishing

Download the procedures.

It also includes details on restoring aluminum, such as these grills that I'm doing.

Before

page15-1023-full.jpg

During

page15-1024-full.jpg

And After

page15-1025-full.jpg

Once I get the windows out of that Renault, I'll polish up the stainless trim around them, just like I did on the Corvair.

I have found, but not added to the paper, that you can touch up on the car with fine sandpaper. And if you finish sanding with 2000 grit, the meguiars can get you the final glow. just be carefull with the paint.

Its more about moviing up in grit slowly.

I just did all the stainless on a friends Buick Rivera, off the car, but you could do the same on the car if you tape both side to protect the paint. Wet sand it all with 2,000 grit paper then hand polish with rubbing compound, finish it off with a coat of Mothers's polish. Bob