When to replace a radiator?

MarkV

So, I was looking at my 1988 Corsica and it appears that I still have the original radiator. The car is almost at 80k. It does not have any overheating problems, should I replace the radiator? When is a good time to do it?

I am sorry ,but this is like saying ,i bought a new pair of shoes, the strings are going to break in two years,Should i buy strings now?If it is not broke, no overheating,no problems,why make a problem.Your car and you,if you know the car it will tell you something is wrong.

The radiator should be replaced when the tanks are too badly damaged or the core tubes can no longer be rodded out by a radiator shop. The shop would be the ones to determine if they can fix/clean it or not.

D.

Edited by helfen
I misspelled a word and was duly corrected. (see edit history)

The radiator should be replaced when the tanks are too badly damaged or the core tubes can no longer be rotted out by a radiator shop. The shop would be the ones to determine if they can fix/clean it or not.

D.

That would be "rodded" out as in rods.

I believe that particular radiator, as most other GM factory radiators of that model year were, is the aluminum/plastic "composite" radiators with easily-replaceable tanks (by design). NO solder, the core had tabs on the ends which are folded over the tanks, with a gasket to seal things up. There's even a special tool to do the crimping with. These radiators are VERY high efficiency and hold less fluid than typical copper radiators.

I concur, unless there's a performance issue, just keep good coolant in them.

I, personally, never really did like the "rodding out" procedure. A little too much mechanically invasive activity for me. Plus the possibility of knocking out a deposit which was sealing up something. Chemical "boils" can be better, as long as the base metal is not compromised by the solution.

The OTHER thing is finding a radiator shop that does good work any more. Most of the shops run by "the older guys", or their kids, are either closed or getting ready to close. Another main issue is the qualitiy of the lead solder they use . . . which has seemed to be highly variable, from my own observations. End result, a new Modine or ACDelco radiator . . . although there are probably fewer real radiator manufacturers now than in prior times . . . so "they're all the same" except for the packaging, it seems. Do due dilligence in shopping!

ONE thing about side-flow radiators. They might look good looking down the filler neck at the core, but be completely clogged up on the bottom rows of the radiator core. A check with an infrared thermometer can indicate such clogging.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

If it does not leak don't worry about it. You could take an air hose and blow out the dirt and bugs from behind, this is a good idea on any car after years of use.

The aluminum rads with crimped on ends usually fail slowly. The seal between the tank and rad fails, you get a slow leak and gradually it gets worse. So keep an eye on it if you are nervous.

There is no cleaning or servicing required on that type of rad. Just blow the dirt out like I said above. Or if you do not have air you can take a shop vac to the front of it.

If it does not leak don't worry about it. You could take an air hose and blow out the dirt and bugs from behind, this is a good idea on any car after years of use.

The aluminum rads with crimped on ends usually fail slowly. The seal between the tank and rad fails, you get a slow leak and gradually it gets worse. So keep an eye on it if you are nervous.

There is no cleaning or servicing required on that type of rad. Just blow the dirt out like I said above. Or if you do not have air you can take a shop vac to the front of it.

Or a higher pressure water hose . . . carefully . . . coin-op car wash or at home. Some of those "resident bugs" can be a little difficult, though.

Enjoy!

NTX5467