Teenager Lifts Buick Off Of Grandfather

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

He's definitely lucky to be alive. From what I can gather from the video, he was bleeding brakes. I had a pretty scary moment under my '52 back when I first got it. I jacked the back up(both tires off the ground)to check out something(can't remember what)and I had to put the jack pretty far up under the back end to jack it up. Which meant I was partially under the car while I was working the jack handle(stupid, I know:rolleyes:). Anyway, when I went to let it down I forgot that both back tires were flat causing the car to go a lot further down than normal. Kind of pinned my arm to my chest. I panicked a little before I realized I was ok. I guess all those times my Dad told me about his friend that died started flashing through my head.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Let's take a moment to recognize the Dads who has preached safety to their gearhead children and to those who have heeded those truly fearful pleas. They are destined to anonymity and very unlikely to attract the attention of Yahoo or CNN.

Thanks, Don Daily (1920-1978)

Bernie Daily

Guest my3buicks

My Mom was actually the one in our family that preached about properly blocking a car when under it - she lost a close friend her Senior year in 1959 and in a good way I paid for it all my life to this day.

Guest Kingoftheroad

WOW, thats an eye opener, he is lucky to be alive...

I know I use my jack stands when working under my cars....

I've lost alot of friends to car accidents, and happy to say I haven't lost any friends to working on cars..:)

Be careful out there !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dminer

A guy down the street had his car 's front end up on a 3-ton floor jack with no front tires on. Seals went in the jack and it came right down and broke his arm, badly.

Safety first, even on quick jobs just reaching under. Be safe everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a chosen method of working under the car I never deviate from:

1) Set the handbreak and/or block the wheels to insure vehicle will not roll when lifted on the jack.

2) Break the lug nuts loose while on the ground.

3) Jack up the vehicle to a sufficient height. Heavy duty floor jack only. Don't use the jack that came with your car as these are generally a poor substitute and should be used in an emergency situation only.

4) While the wheels are still in place, slide one or more heavy duty jack stands under a location on the car that will support the weight of the vehicle. Jack stands can be purchased with various ratings in term of the weight they will support. Don't buy cheap or lightweight stands in order to save a few dollars. Your life is literally dependent on these.

5) At this point I release pressure on the jack with the weight transferred to the jack stand. Check the jack stand visually to be sure it did not shift during the process and the weight is sitting squarely on it.

6) Leave the jack in place to serve as backup in case something unforeseen were to happen. In the unlikely event that your jack stand were to fail, the jack is still there to provide protection.

7) Now the wheels can safely be removed and you may crawl under the car.

Thanks,

I have a chosen method of working under the car I never deviate from:

1) Set the handbreak and/or block the wheels to insure vehicle will not roll when lifted on the jack.

2) Break the lug nuts loose while on the ground.

3) Jack up the vehicle to a sufficient height. Heavy duty floor jack only. Don't use the jack that came with your car as these are generally a poor substitute and should be used in an emergency situation only.

4) While the wheels are still in place, slide one or more heavy duty jack stands under a location on the car that will support the weight of the vehicle. Jack stands can be purchased with various ratings in term of the weight they will support. Don't buy cheap or lightweight stands in order to save a few dollars. Your life is literally dependent on these.

5) At this point I release pressure on the jack with the weight transferred to the jack stand. Check the jack stand visually to be sure it did not shift during the process and the weight is sitting squarely on it.

6) Leave the jack in place to serve as backup in case something unforeseen were to happen. In the unlikely event that your jack stand were to fail, the jack is still there to provide protection.

7) Now the wheels can safely be removed and you may crawl under the car.

Thanks,

Very Good Advice, I've been doing it the same way for years and also leave the floor jack in place when it is possible. I haven't dropped one on my head or toes yet. Dandy Dave!

Michael, exactly as I do it, well described.

A company I used to work for had an apple orchard and a cold storage building in a little town in West Virginia.

I was working on upgrading the engine room, went to visit Jake, the handyman who kept things running.

There was an old wood beam garage, and I could hear "wham wham wham" coming from inside.

Jake had a 1 ton truck suspended by a come-along, the come-along attached to a chain around a wooden beam. Both front wheels off the truck, Jake was under it hitting something to break it loose, and every time he'd hit, the truck would swing sideways a little as it hung in the air, and I could see the beam delflect a little.

Crap, what a mess that woulda been. I got him out from under the truck pronto, and made him put jack stands under the truck as described.

• 1 month later...

And when I think back to the early 50's, and so many cars came with bumper jacks. I can recall several times changing a tire along side route 66 with a bumper jack, and in the MUD. Several times the car would move forward or backward and fall of of such. Dad made us kids aware of NEVER getting under a car that is on a bumper jack.

Sure glad this turned out without loss of life.

Dale in Indy

Guest NickySixx

Great story. That guy is lucky to be alive! Luckily his grandson was there. There was a guy who's car slid off the jack stand because the weight wasn't squared on it properly. unforchantly that guy lost his life. A hard lesson learned but a lot of gear heads around here woke up. I hope not ever hear about anyone getting hurt under a car. I had a scary experience when some one put the wrong jack in a car so when I went to change there tire the jack bent and the car slid off, that's what I get for being nice to strangers. Luckily I wasn't underneath!

Wish the best and happy motoring!

Nick