Third passenger seat belt

wws944

Thought you guys might be interested in seeing an 'option' that was installed in a PickNPull Reatta that I visited last weekend:

7943-aftermarket-seat-belt-option-90-reatta.jpg

One of the mounting points (and my genuine Hong Kong Reatta watch):

7944-aftermarket-seat-belt-option-90-reatta.jpg

(Barney: This '90 Reatta was s/n 900408 and is not in your database. White/white/gray, sunroof and 16 ways. No CD.)

that looks like a "briefcase tie-down" as i call it. My owner's manual shows it. It was designed as an available option that was to tie down anything large you sat in the back that didnt fit in the cubby's (like a briefcase, because that's what's shown in the picture in the book) The only thing is it was a 3-point harness. It latched to the hook above the back door and the ones behind the cubby's so idk if that's the original one or one somebody installed seeing as it's also the wrong color for that interior.

that looks like a "briefcase tie-down" as i call it. My owner's manual shows it. It was designed as an available option that was to tie down anything large you sat in the back that didnt fit in the cubby's (like a briefcase, because that's what's shown in the picture in the book) The only thing is it was a 3-point harness. It latched to the hook above the back door and the ones behind the cubby's so idk if that's the original one or one somebody installed seeing as it's also the wrong color for that interior.

Definitely not that strap.

The strap you're talking about is a black strap (they never matched the interior) about an inch or so wide.

No buckles, just a 3 point strap with hooks on each end to hook to the loops in front of the cubbies behind the seats, and the one above the pass through latch.

I suspect it was installed for a baby seat.

As any new parent knows, the authorities do not recommend putting a baby in the front seat and if there are two people riding, there is no room anyway.

There was a option with a name like "child restraint" that was mandantory on Canadian cars.

all it did was keep the seatback from folding forward.

yeah that's what i was thinking of. The book is black and white so it's hard to tell the colors. Being what the reatta is (im sure mine is far from driving and stopping like it did the day it was made) i wouldnt feel safe having my child ride in it at that age if i had any.

Hoh boy!

Careful there Jim, some people lack a sense of humor and might think that picture was for real!

Regarding the original post, I do find it a bit disconcerting that the belt kit was fastened into the sheet metal "floor pan" of the trunk. Not much meat to that, unless they put a steel reinforcement plate underneath where the bolt passes through. Even though it doesn't need that much holding power compared to a regular passenger seat belt, I'd be concerned about it pulling through in a panic stop. Especially on a car that has normal age-related rust/deterioration underneath.

Anyone know exactly what type of mounting hardware was used to install these?

This also makes me think back to the Reatta that had a custom seat pad that was made of matching vinyl (color and embroidery pattern) that set in place on the storage deck. I think this car was for sale a couple of years ago, probably on ebay. I remember wondering why the owner went to the trouble. I mean, in a pinch, a third person could lay back there as if on a chaise lounge. Certainly it did not meet any kind of safety standards as a proper seating position though. It also blocked easy access to the storage bins and ski door, and was probably to large to fit in the trunk for storage when not needed.

KDirk

No steel plate on the underside. It is pretty busy under there with the gas tank, muffler, and rear suspension bits. So they had to have been careful where they drilled. However there was a fairly big washer, maybe 3" or so, for each bolt on the underside to help distribute the weight. I took a photo of it too.

BTW, 89REATTAJIMs photo is really funny!

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Wws944,

This leads me to another question, since you saw it in person. Is this belt a true GM part, or some aftermarket kit? The latch and buckle assembly looks unlike any GM belt setup of the era (most GM cars used the same type of latch/buckle from the early 80's until the mid 1990's).

Just wondering. Also find it odd that a blue belt kit was put in a grey interior. Surely these were available in black, so why the strange choice of color? Unless it was a part salvaged for use from another car, then it makes some kind of sense.

KDirk

I used the straps as a child restraint several years ago!

That black belt is another item that all coupe owners should have. I have not seen any of them for sale anywhere for the last several years. There was quite a scramble for them before that. I wonder where they all went. How many people that have a coupe dont have them?

Chuck Kerls

I was lucky enough to get a three-point harness as part of a package parts deal a while back. Have yet to use it though as I try not to use my Reattae as "haulers". I have a full sized van and a Cadillac with a trunk that accommodates 3 for that. I do have it just in case though.

Looking at it, it would not be that hard to make one similar from bulk strap and some buckles if one had the inclination and knowledge to use a sewing machine to finish out the loops in the strap.

Kind of doubt there is sufficient demand to make reproductions.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

I have a couple of those 3 point strap kits for coupes. I don't usually sell them separately. When I put together a complete 90-91 portfolio for sale I will normally include some of those hard to find items and a new owner's manual to make up a premium package.