1970 Riviera Pictures

Guest fenwick

Guest fenwick

I guess that there are not many 70 Riviera owners on the forum. I never see any threads about them. I had a new 67 Riviera GS and then a new 70 Riviera when I got out of college, and I loved both of them. I was using them to commute to work, and I had a few "fender binders"on them before I sold them. Although the 67 was a great car, the 70 was my favorite. If there are any out there, I would like to see some pictures of your 70. Here is my newly acquired one

Drivers%252520Side%252520View.jpg

Edited by fenwick (see edit history)

That is a sharp automobile! '70 was one of the years I was considering when I found my '67. I love the looks of this range. Mine needs work before I start posting pictures but stay tuned. Right now I have to build a new garage before I invest any more in the car. It could be a busy year.

Looks like a great example! Love the black!

Here is my '70. It's been in the works for a few years now. Well, several really.:rolleyes:

Rebuilt the engine. with the exception of a TA Performance TA212 cam and Edelbrock Performer intake it's stock.

Then repainted it in it's original Sandpiper Beige in my garage.

This is how it looks right now. This coming Spring I start buffing the paint out and then get to the fun part of putting the trim back on and driving it!

Been a long, long road.

I removed the paint from the sweepspear trim, and am leaving them chrome like yours is. For now anyway. I may change my mind down the road.

I refer to the '70 as the red headed step child of Rivieras. They get kind of ignored compared to other years.

I think the the fact they are a one year body style will make them more appreciated as time goes by.

I owned another '70 back in the early 80's. It was my winter beater when I owned my '66.

:)

post-52228-143138812722_thumb.jpg

post-52228-14313881273_thumb.jpg

Guest fenwick

Thanks for the comments. Dale, your car looks great. Great job on the engine bay. The picture shows the long skirts before I put the trim back on them. I wish there were more parts available for the cars. The car has been repainted and the Vinyl top replaced, The motor and tranny have been rebuilt, new exhaust system, new carpet, and new seat covers installed, I put a Harrison original looking radio with a USB input in it also. I am using it as my daily driver. I get a lot of comments on it everyday. Most of the people want to know what year it is. Here are some more pictures, including one of my 1955 Corvette.

post-74648-143138812849_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138812854_thumb.jpg

post-74648-14313881286_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138812867_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138812872_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138812877_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138812882_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138812886_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138812891_thumb.jpg

I guess that there are not many 70 Riviera owners on the forum. I never see any threads about them. I had a new 67 Riviera GS and then a new 70 Riviera when I got out of college, and I loved both of them. I was using them to commute to work, and I had a few "fender binders"on them before I sold them. Although the 67 was a great car, the 70 was my favorite. If there are any out there, I would like to see some pictures of your 70. Here is my newly acquired one

Drivers%252520Side%252520View.jpg

Now that is a beautiful car! I am glad it still has its original style rims, skirts, and whitewall tires.

I use to own a 1969 Buick 225 2-door HT (no vinyl roof) in black and it would have been a perfect match for the Riviera. It too was all original and ran like a raped ape!

Eric

Hi Fenwick,

Pretty sure that is a rim blow wheel...it looks "thick". If that is an original rim blow steering wheel the horn should sound when you squeeze the rim. When I was driving my `70 as a regular driver I encountered several "close calls". One`s natural reaction is to grip the steering wheel tightly which sets off the horn. I didn`t even realize my car had the option until my first close call. I still think that this was a great idea. It works! Most folks dont think to lay on the horn until it is too late if at all. I was very impressed with how well this worked.

Tom Mooney

Guest fenwick

I can't get it to blow from the rim, but the horn does blow when the center section is pressed. I had never heard of that option, and my original 70 didn't have it.

Fenwick Binder

I've got to say, never really been a fan of the 70 Rivs, but this one has changed my mind. VERY Nice looking car!!!! Congrats!!! Nice Vette too.

Ed, I bought them from Coker Tire. They are P235/75R15 American Classic with 1.6 " witewalls.

Back when I owned my 1969 Electra 225, those 1.5" width whitewalls were still being made by all of the regular tire makers and could be bought off the shelf. Of course that was in the late 1970s to early 1980s. I wouldn't buy anything else for my cars as they added class.

I am also a fan of the wider whites, that are harder to find now.

Diamondback is also another source for this style, in fact they have just about any width WW you want for your classic car.

Thanks for the update on the trim for those skirts Ed, and fenwick.

That '70 'red headed stepchild' is 'slicker' than fresh snot on a door knob !!

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I will probably go back to a whitewall next time I buy tires. I had a thing for raised white letters for some time, but my tastes are changing.

Coker sells a BFG J-78-15 that has a period correct double whitewall. But they are bias-ply, and cost nearly $200.00 each. :eek: So that's not gonna happen.

Even though I do like the wider ones your car has, I would prefer a radial with a thin white wall though. I see Lincoln Town Cars with just such a tire on them.

Here is that BFG tire I mentioned.

post-52228-14313881341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sweepspear (see edit history)

Guest fenwick

These tires cost $145.00 each. I have Bias tires on the 55 corvette, and I am going to change them to radials. I drive it a lot and they ride too rough.

Guest 70 Riviera

Great looking 70! ijust picked up a 70 and have a bit of a problum with the front split bench seat. My deal is, I'm 6'6 and need more leg room. Even with the tilt steering i need to relocate the seat further back. My question is, Is there an extra set of mounting holes in the floor behind the stock mounts? My dad had 68 and 69 Riviera's and he said his had them and he moved his back on both years. Pop's worked for Fisher Body for 17+ years and has always been a Buick man owning 7 himself. My interior is a time capsule and looks brand new not cracks in the dash,wheel, or any rips anywhere not even a wear mark from your heal in the carpet. It's a 1 family owned matching numbers 42,000 orig. mile car and don't want to mess any thing up. Any advice would be very appreciated! Pic's soon!

I will probably go back to a whitewall next time I buy tires. I had a thing for raised white letters for some time, but my tastes are changing.

Coker sells a BFG J-78-15 that has a period correct double whitewall. But they are bias-ply, and cost nearly $200.00 each. :eek: So that's not gonna happen.

Even though I do like the wider ones your car has, I would prefer a radial with a thin white wall though. I see Lincoln Town Cars with just such a tire on them.

Here is that BFG tire I mentioned.

Actually the 1970 Riviera came with a "triple" stripe tire. A wide center one ringed either side with a pinstripe. See attached:

post-68778-143138813941_thumb.jpg

Guest fenwick

My bucket seats have 2 mounting holes in each mount. They are about 1.5 inches apart. I am using the rear set of holes, so I could move my seats back if I need to.

I don't remember if my original car had the 3 stripes, but I found this Tire Size Information on a 70 Riviera Sales Poster that I have. It shows several options for the tires, and only the GS came with WW tires as the standard tire. The GS also had the option to get Wide Oval or Red Line tires.

post-74648-143138814351_thumb.jpg

My bucket seats have 2 mounting holes in each mount. They are about 1.5 inches apart. I am using the rear set of holes, so I could move my seats back if I need to.

I don't remember if my original car had the 3 stripes, but I found this Tire Size Information on a 70 Riviera Sales Poster that I have. It shows several options for the tires, and only the GS came with WW tires as the standard tire. The GS also had the option to get Wide Oval or Red Line tires.

I looked at the 1970 Buick Full line brochure and don't see any red striped examples. For Riviera, it was the only model that had the 3-stripe tires... the rest had the 2-stripe ones. Though they may have came with blackwalls, I doubt due to the buyer and the status of whitewalls still of the time, that you would have seen very many brand new without witewalls.

And by the way, these were Fiberglass Belted tires (not steel) :)

Looks like a great example! Love the black!

Here is my '70. It's been in the works for a few years now. Well, several really.:rolleyes:

Rebuilt the engine. with the exception of a TA Performance TA212 cam and Edelbrock Performer intake it's stock.

Then repainted it in it's original Sandpiper Beige in my garage.

This is how it looks right now. This coming Spring I start buffing the paint out and then get to the fun part of putting the trim back on and driving it!

Been a long, long road.

I removed the paint from the sweepspear trim, and am leaving them chrome like yours is. For now anyway. I may change my mind down the road.

I refer to the '70 as the red headed step child of Rivieras. They get kind of ignored compared to other years.

I think the the fact they are a one year body style will make them more appreciated as time goes by.

I owned another '70 back in the early 80's. It was my winter beater when I owned my '66.

:)

Speaking of red haired step child I would like to call your attention to the cornering lamps. On Sweepspear's car it looks like there is not a trim piece under the cornering lamp, while on Fenwick's there is.

The reason why I call this to your attention and ask is that it is commonly known that there is a 1970 at my local U-Pick. It has the one piece unit like Sweepspears. However I had gotten a request from a man in Delaware that wanted the trim piece below the cornering lamp. As there wasn't one on this unit at the U-Pick, I pulled the whole cornering lamp unit and sent it to him thinking that he was mistaken. I just got back now from the U-Pick to once again check about that trim.

It [the trim piece] is not there nor are there any indications that there ever was a trim piece. There is only an opening for a cornering lamp, and the chrome has an extra wide panel on the below the lamp housing.

Anyone know?

And by the way Fenwick, as nice as your car appears to be, I am surprised that you wanted me to pull parts for you. Nice Car!

Speaking of red haired step child I would like to call your attention to the cornering lamps. On Sweepspear's car it looks like there is not a trim piece under the cornering lamp, while on Fenwick's there is.

It [the trim piece] is not there nor are there any indications that there ever was a trim piece. There is only an opening for a cornering lamp, and the chrome has an extra wide panel on the below the lamp housing.

Anyone know?

And by the way Fenwick, as nice as your car appears to be, I am surprised that you wanted me to pull parts for you. Nice Car!

I referenced the two different 1970 folders again and yes, the Rivirea only folder shows one style cornering lamps while the Full Line Buick folder shows a different style for the Rivirea in it. See below:

Gray from Rivirea only (same style for regular and GS) and the blue is in the full line...

post-68778-143138814451_thumb.jpg

post-68778-143138814457_thumb.jpg

Guest fenwick

It seems that there is always something that needs replacing. My chrome is in good mechanical condition, but the finish is worn down. I bought some more bumpers and replaced mine wth them. I am going to get the original ones rechromed, and I wanted to be able to drive it while they were being rechromed. My dash trim bezel radio cutout was enlarged to make room for a after market radio. I got another bezel and will get a reproduction piece of the wood grain trim when I can get one.. I wish that there were more reproduction parts available. I also need to clean up the under hood area. Fenwick

I referenced the two different 1970 folders again and yes, the Rivirea only folder shows one style cornering lamps while the Full Line Buick folder shows a different style for the Rivirea in it. See below:

Gray from Rivirea only (same style for regular and GS) and the blue is in the full line...

The Gray one (left) is the Cornering Lamp Option.

The Blue one (right) is the Side Marker Lamp only version.

At any rate I have the cornering lamps [housing and chrome] as shown in the gray Riv. picture. $50.00 each. Both sides are nice. PM me if interested.

If you think you may ever want them, now is the time. This car is now in a U-Pick when it is gone it is gone.

Mine does have the cornering lamps.

This picture is from when a friend who I bought the car from owned it. Probably in '92-'93. I've owned it since '96.

I think I kind of talked him into buying it knowing he would sell it to me down the road. What are friends for? :rolleyes:

Came across a couple of pics of the interior.

The speakers I painted to match. I didn't want to cut holes for speakers, so went with these. Just a small hole drilled in the shelf for a mounting bolt.

It was unintended when I bought the speakers, but in the end it turned out the speakers mimic the shape of the front headrests. Especially when viewed from the rear. They look like rear head rests.

(Dave, I'm still committed to that rear window trim by the way.)

post-52228-143138814528_thumb.jpg

post-52228-14313881453_thumb.jpg

post-52228-143138814546_thumb.jpg

I should have caught that, thanks for point it out. So DAVES89 was a bit confused too between them.

I can be confused as I do not own these cars, just pull parts to help. It sure is confusing sometimes with options, running changes, etc...

Sweepspear no problem on waiting. It is in my basement just anticipating its return to glory [having escaped the clutches of the "crusher"] as a useful, functioning car part again... lol

• 3 months later...

Did all 1970 Rivieras come with a vinyl top? I also noticed the chrome side trim on some are not painted (all shiny), and some are painted the body color in the middle, leaving only the outer edge shiny. What's up with that?

Did all 1970 Rivieras come with a vinyl top? I also noticed the chrome side trim on some are not painted (all shiny), and some are painted the body color in the middle, leaving only the outer edge shiny. What's up with that?

Not all came with a vinyl top, but vinyl tops were very popular back then.

Personally I like the vinyl top as it accentuates the body line.

There were 3 trim levels for the '70 Riviera that included full length or short fender skirts, side sweepspear trim, or none, and vinyl roof. All could be ordered in different combinations.

The sweepspear trim came from the factory with the center inset painted body color.

Over the years people have either left them painted body color, painted them to match the vinyl top, or removed the paint altogether leaving them all chrome.

I stripped the paint off of mine when prepping the car for paint, and have left them bare chrome for now. I may paint the inset body color again if I decide I don't care for how it looks.

It may make the trim look too heavy on the side of the car. We'll see.

• 2 months later...
Guest fenwick
Not all came with a vinyl top, but vinyl tops were very popular back then.

Personally I like the vinyl top as it accentuates the body line.

There were 3 trim levels for the '70 Riviera that included full length or short fender skirts, side sweepspear trim, or none, and vinyl roof. All could be ordered in different combinations.

The sweepspear trim came from the factory with the center inset painted body color.

Over the years people have either left them painted body color, painted them to match the vinyl top, or removed the paint altogether leaving them all chrome.

I stripped the paint off of mine when prepping the car for paint, and have left them bare chrome for now. I may paint the inset body color again if I decide I don't care for how it looks.

It may make the trim look too heavy on the side of the car. We'll see.

Dale, How is your car coming? Did you put your side chrome on yet? I would like to see it before you paint the chrome.

Dale, How is your car coming? Did you put your side chrome on yet? I would like to see it before you paint the chrome.

Going well! I was able to do the final buffing of the paint last weekend, and started putting chrome back on Monday evening.

Putting the trim back on sure is more fun than sanding!

I will post pics once it is all together.