1946, Buick, just purchased?

smithbrother

Hello, I just purchased a 46 Road Master sedan. It is very decent shape, runs and shifts nice.

The first issue I need to address is that it seems to LOCK up the right front wheel when working the brakes. Any suggestions to start with, I don't have a manual as yet, need to buy one, HINT.........

I noticed it DOESN'T have the external oil filter, was this standard in 46?. I also noticed the heater hose fittings at the water pump have brass plugs in place of hose fittings, I am guessing the under dash heater core LEAKS. Comments WELCOME.

I have a 41 Limited too, Dad was general manager for a Buick dealer when he went into the Marines in 41, and came home in 45 just when the 46's were released, so this in in his honor. We had a 46 Road Master, we had 5 kids, so needed big four-door. I have named it, ' MYERS ROADY'. His name was Myers Marshall Smith. Oh how he LOVE Buick's, me toooooooo!

Dale in Indy

Dale, there is a block drain on the passenger side, down low between the starter and distributor.

Oil filters , if East of Miss river, were optional.

Several reasons for the brake problem, most likely fluid ir grease on the shoes. Do your self a favor and pull the drum. Probably scare you !!

Congratulations on your buy. I have never owned a Roadmaster, but did own a '48 Super.

Great car.

Ben

Thank You...... I have inside my enclosed steel building, no heat in it, so will wait for a warm day and pull drums off front first.

I bought the car on Ebay, owner passed away in last month, son was selling. Dad had been preparing for paint, so most body work completed. I am going to put new two part primer on and drive for a year. I will keep it original, but will probably change the color from Black to TWO-TONE.

$1,750.00 I felt fair price, and now that I have looked it over real close, I am VERY HAPPY. Owner called me, said he would deliver from the Cleveland, Oh area for gas money, and if after I saw it, I didn't like it, well he would take it back. Very nice man, he showed up right on time with his daughter, and we had a nice visit. I then paid him and home he went.

Need a manual, and from what I have learned so far maybe I should consider a manual that includes the 1942 Buick, and even some later years. COMMENTS....

Dale in Indy

Right front brakes locking up could be the brake hose behind the wheel not allowing fluid pressure to release. Sometimes the hoses collapse internally with age. Check it by removing the hose and seeing if you can blow through it. Probably needs replacing anyway. Also, the brake wheel cylinder can be stuck. Peel back the little rubber cup on either end of it, with a screwdriver, and if you see white or yellow crud, the brake fluid has coagulated and gotten past the cylinder, which needs rebuilding. They are easy to take apart and rebuild.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

I was told by the seller that WATER was in the cooling system, so today I drained the radiator, and opened the block valve. The radiator drained fine, but nothing came out the block valve. I suspected CRUD blocking the flow, so probed with a thin short pointed wire, and still NOTHING. The valve seems to open and close, but NOTHING.

I decided to go ahead and add anti-freeze, the radiator took 2 gallons or 8 quarts, and after running the engine to bring to temp, and open the thermostat I was able to add another 2 quarts of water. From what I can tell the system holds approx. 18 quarts, so I feel I am probably ok.

Any thoughts on the block valve would be welcome. Also did these engines have a replaceable fuel filter?

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

1941 Limited

1946 Road Master 4-door

1979 Corvette

2003 Matrix

1995 Ford work truck

1947 Whizzer motor bike

1940 Rexner rail tether car

"The first issue I need to address is that it seems to LOCK up the right front wheel when working the brakes."

Hi,

I had the identical issue with my 40 LaSalle. I suspected brake fluid or grease on the RF shoes. Turned out that the cause was blocked rubber brake hoses to the other wheels. Rubber hoses have a limited life. They deteriorate, swell shut, and put crud into your wheel cylinders. I replaced them all, cleaned the debris of deteriorated-rubber-crud from the wheel cylinders, installed new hoses, and I am good to go.

Having the wheel cylinders apart lets you check for pitting in the cast iron cylinders. Check them out before buying rebuid kits that you won't need if you have to buy new cylinders.

As for the rubber hoses, you may be tempted to buy a $20.00 set on Ebay. These are mfrd in Argentina and may not meet DOT specs. Check further on EBay for a manufacturer in Holland, MI, whose hoses cost $80 a set but are DOT-compliant. I got mine from him--no problems. When I am ready for my in-process 37 Cord to get its rubber hoses, they will come from him also.

And here's a hint--reassemble your brake lines and hoses with Never-Seize on the threads of the fittings. In 25 years you'll be glad you did.

--Tom

Tom, I agree with assembling the lines and hoses so you can get them apart in the future, but I think you want to be very careful with any type of lubricant on brake line threads. You really don't want to contaminate the insides of the line by some lubricant squeezing inside while tightening. I would recommend tightening the lines as needed then use a small model paint paintbrush to put a coat of grease around the nut and metal line to seal the area from moisture.

Hi John and Dale,

The first time I did brake work on the LaSalle was in 1982-83 right after I obtained it. I put in new hoses, sleeved the wheel and master cylinders, turned the drums, and of course put on new shoes.

25 years and 30,000 miles had passed when the wheel-locking problem occured. I found that the brake hoses and line fittings were easily disassembled because back in 1983 I had put Never-Seize on the threads and had also sealed the fittings after assembly with heavy machine bearing grease.

I completely concur with John that care must be taken not to allow contamination of the brake fluid with any lubricant. Both times that I have done this job on Baby I brushed the Never-Seize carefully on only the threads, and not on the flares. During the bleeding process I thoroughly flushed the system. And again, I sealed the fitting post-assembly with heavy machine bearing grease to keep water out of the line-to-fitting gap.

If this all has to come apart again in 2033 I will again be thankful for this bit of foresight.

--Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in to say that my '52 RF brake also jammed up so hard that I didn't dare drive more than 25mph with it, for fear of having to careen wildly to the right and lose control of the car if I really needed to jam on the brakes.

I replaced all the hoses and braking has been smooth and even ever since.

Just in case you had any lingering doubts...

The fellow I purchased my 46 Road Master from was kind enough to send to me the external Fram oil filter kit that had been purchased but not installed on the engine.

It is a Fram F4-18BW main body and the decal says use C4 or C4P filter.

I haven't explored the install method, so if anyone has directions, I am open to learning. The main case has a fitting on the side, and one in the bottom. I would guess the oil goes in the side, and out the bottom????

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

First thing I thought of with the brake locking up when applied is that the star sprocket may be sticking and need a little WD-40 on it to loosen it up. Make sure none get on the shoes and take some sandpaper to them if they look a bit glazed until you can get everything rebuilt.

• 3 weeks later...

Dale, hope this helps. Not sure on the return line on the '46, but on my '50, it goes into the head at the right front corner. In the second picture, from another members car, the inlet line, attached to the side, top of the filter can be seen aattached to the main oil gally below the coil. There are several connections available on the gally to choose from. In the first picture, the return line from the bottom of the filter attaches to the connection seen at the top front of the head.

Ben

post-59466-143138822562_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138822572_thumb.jpg

Edited by First Born (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Couple questions: In going thru the trunk of the 46 RM, I found a box of small spare part. One item is a STAMPED STEEL TRUNK EMBLEM ASSEMBLY, and the one on the car is POT METAL, is the STAMPED STEEL piece an aftermarket piece? It is well made, but NO numbers stamped on it.

The other question is: I noticed the heater hoses have been blocked off, I assume the heater coil in the car LEAKS, is that a common issue? What's the fix, a new radiator?

The only items missing from the car are, the SPARE RIM AND TIRE, and two dog dish hub caps.

I am so pleased with this car, it's most likely going to be a TWO-TONE, light gray bottom, dark gray top, with top flowing down the windshield posts, thru the cowl, down the center of the hood, and over the top of the grill. Buick did great job in make two tones possible. YOU ALL KNOW THAT.........

Thanks for reading and offering comments to my questions,

Dale in Indy

Guest Foggy norm

This is a general idea, about your heater. Sometime's restorer's will close off the heater, to get bigger engine project completed first. Do you have an air compressor and portable air tank? You can see how the heater is mounted on the firewall and the operation cable's, if the "core" (radiator) is bad it will have to be removed. Not sure of your type, before removing, check to see if there is any corrosion around the bottom of it. IF so, could indicate a leak or previous leak.

I would suggest attaching a couple of hose's to it, before removal, fill it with water, check for drip's. I've converted my portable air tank hose with a connector so I can change to whatever. I'd put a rubber tipped air gun on, with about 10-15#pounds or less of air and apply pressure to th hose, you'll know soon enough if the core is bad.

If using an air compressor, un plug it and drop the air pressure, just a short burst is all that's needed to push any fluid through a split, beats sitting around waiting for a drip.

TRP3141592.....What is that color on that beautiful car, it appear's to have a green hue,.....computer color's????

Edited by Foggy norm (see edit history)

Great thought................ That would make sense. When stamped it came out with a couple WAVES, I am going to make an arty piece out of it, so I primed it HEAVY, sanded it flat, sprayed it with Metallic silver, then clear coated it.

I am going to do my 46 RM 4-door on a very strict budget, NOT THE OBAMA WAY, LOL, always wanted to see how LITTLE I could spend,so I am going to forgo the expense of chrome on many pieces. I will attempt to give it a BRUSHED STAINLESS look with rattle can paint. I'm good with rattle cans, hehehe.

This car runs so good, starts right up, just got to work on the right front brake that grabs. The headliner, rear seat and door cards are very nice, front seat under driver has a tear though. Looks like someone sat down with screw driver in rear pocket, IMO.

It doesn't have any side mirrors. I purchased a couple this week, tried one today, just NOT what in want. Need a much bigger mirror, may have to go modern. I hate it when I can't see backing, I hate backing, but got to do what you got to do, huh.

Anyone that has good results with side mirrors, I would sure like to hear from you.

Dale in Indy

(SmithBrother) Smith brothers cough drops inspired, brother is TRADE, I'm MARK.

I am looking for a picture or two of the running boards inside a 4-door 46-48 Buick. I need to see what material is used BEFORE the aluminum/stainless formed pieces. It doesn't matter what series. Is it rubber mats, or steel pieces?

So a shot of the floor in-board running boards with the doors open.

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

To Foggy Norm

Re: TRP3141592.....What is that color on that beautiful car, it appear's to have a green hue,.....computer color's????

Sorry I didn't respond to your inquiry on the paint color on my 37. I didn't see your question until tonight when I re-read the thread.

The paint color is Coronary Green. There is info on the mix at

AutoColorLibrary - Color Chip Selection

I have really liked this color--it passes for a darker color, then you go, "Whoa--that's green."

--Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received a copy of the 1946 & 47 BODY MANUAL, SERVICE AND CONSTRUCTION book by Fisher Body. It is a REPRINT, which I knew it would be when I purchased it. I found the pictures TERRIBLE, and it doesn't cover lots and lots of parts which are on the car.

Yes, I am very much a hands on fellow, and for the most part I can figure out how to remove all the different parts WITHOUT a book, but a GOOD book can and often does save time.

I am going to request from the seller permission to return the book. Now, I need to start all over, and see if I can find a used ORIGINAL, not a reprint, and also look for what is probably called an ASSEMBLY BODY AND CHASSIS BOOK.

Any ideas?????

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

On ebay I found a 1942 original manual, and also a 1946-47 supplement original. The supplement contains all changes in the 46 cars that aren't in the 42 big book. I paid $25.00 and $17.00 plus shipping, and for what it's worth, I made OFFERS on both rather than paying asking prices, and both accepted my offers, so I'm glad to be getting ORIGINAL manuals, at fair prices. 1946 -47 Buick's have many of the same parts as the 42, thus the 42 manual is key.

Dale in Indy

I'm sure someone has done this,......my door weatherstrips have many small cracks/spits, and a few larger ones, so I am thinking of wiping the rubber down with Lacquer thinner, then taking BLACK SILICONE and rubbing it into the cracks and smoothing it out.

Maybe there is a better product, but wonder if any of you have comments on this?

I purchased this Roadmaster for $1,750.00. It is really in good condition, and for the fun of it I am going to make it a neat driver, but without spending much on it. I am going to do all the work, and keep tabs on how LITTLE I put into it. I know how to put LOTS of cash into a car, but this one is going to go the cheap, cheap route.

So far I have the cost of a bottle of chrome cleaner, 6 quarts of oil, 2 quarts of light gray epoxy primer, sandpaper, and paint prep cleaner liquid.

Any comments on weatherstrip RESTORE are most welcome.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Guest Foggy norm

Some weatherstrip is hollow and some is solid foamlike. For a neat clean driver, what you have planned, make's sense. Just don't close the door's to soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest craftsmen22

Check out Bobs automobilia and Steele Rubber. I bought the door weatherstrip for our 47 Super 8 at Stelle Rubber and some cement to it. it worked great.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 46BuickSuper

I have a 46 Super that was passed down to me. I have been busy with demanding job and new child so it was parked for 2 years. I need to move it soon, what should I do to ensure I do not damage engine since it has been idle so long?

Guest Foggy norm

Shoot some oil fogger into the cylinder's, let it sit a few day's. Put a good charge on the battery, disconnect the coil. Crank the motor to get oil pumping through it (leave the plug's out), recharge the battery. Caution; You will get spray of gas if it has some in the carb. IF it ran before, it will run again.

Edited by Foggy norm (see edit history)

Guest 46BuickSuper

Thanks Norm. So I should take the plugs out and spray the foggin oil in? Same with carb? I have not used before but I see I probably should have done it before it went dormant. Didn't plan it this way.

Thanks!