Did you notice this to?

BadgerRivFan

OK Riviera people: Look at the facts and draw your conclusion from there. It looks like it's fairly unmolested. The interior could support the 46K showing. It has a Sonomatic radio (rear speaker unknown), It's not too loaded, clear glass, no a/c or pw, base hub caps.

My theory, just a wild guess, is that it might not have had a radio from new and the Sonomatic was added after it's assembly. Perhaps the installer figured the antenna went on the left side.

Also my opinion, a set of wire caps with a thinner white wall radial could really make this old Riv pop. Any other theories on the antenna?? Theories aside, wouldn't it fun to know the real reason the antenna is where it is? Mitch

In the '63 Riviera, the only speaker for the entire car was in the rear between the seats. The a/c and heater controls took up all of the room under the dash.

In '64 and '65 because the a/c and heater controls were placed on the console, a front speaker was able to be placed under the dash.

Why the antenna is on the right side is a groaner.

Ed

Great eye Al. Buick issued two `63`s for press review before the production cars were available. The antenna placement on those cars is unique but still on the passenger side.

I`m surprised no one noticed the outside rearview mirror.

I think Mitch may have explained these quirks. This does not look like an early car, as in possible prototype, so it is most probably a plain jane that has been added on to.

BTW, what does the "XP" notation stand for in your avatar? I`m sure I should probably know the answer to this...

Tom Mooney

XP-715 was to become a Caddy, a revitalized La Salle to be exact. Cadillac didn't want it, though (no capacity available, and probably ample amounts of the "we didn't think of it" syndrome from the top bananas). Elvis only bought Cadillacs, but he bought a Riviera.

If you look at the XP-715 closely you will notice that they originally wanted a pancake hood design, but factory engineers just couldn't do it in volume.

Buick won the bidding war because they promised not to change a thing, which was Bill Mitchell's requirement.

Ed Rollert's quote "...Buick Motor Division was awarded the honor of engineering, developing and producing this formidable machine. We won it by our ability to deliver on three challenges from General Motors...".

Oldsmobile wanted to make too many changes, so they lost out. I don't even think that Chevy or Pontiac were even a consideration.

post-65039-143138773629_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143138773631_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheezeMan (see edit history)

Based on some things I have in my assortment of Riviera literature, Cadillac did not want the Riviera, they were satisfied with their sales volume as it was. Buick had slipped from third to ninth in car sales from '55 and needed a boost; the Riviera was it.

In Car Exchange, March, 1984, there are prototype photos of the "XP (experimental project) - 715 as Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Centurions (a name Buick was considering), and LaSalles (what Cadillac would have called it had they wanted it.) All of the cars use the vertical grills for the turn signal housings. This was in the original plans to offer it to Cadillac as a replica of the LaSalle Grills from the late 30's.

On the LaSalle version, there was no grill to speak of, what was there looks like panels that would be thermostatically controlled to allow air to the radiator. Bill Mitchell eventually did this to his personal Riviera - Silver Arrow I. The Pontiac grill is a fine bar grill with the bars spaced the same as the turn signal grills. It had a single head light in the grill and fog/running lights in the lower bumper. The "Centurion" had the same single headlight, but the grill bars were wider and had more space between them. One pre production grill shown on the Buick Riviera (no longer a Centurion) was a single headlight in the production styled egg crate grill.

The rear bumpers of the Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Buick prototypes are very much like the production 63/64 rear bumpers. The LaSalle rear bumper, however, was a two piece per side nerf bar bumper with the tail light sandwiched between the upper and lower bars on each side. There was no joining of the nerf bars to the license plate housing on the LaSalle bumper.

In the same article there are also pictures of a four door Riviera - imagine a '63 Electra 225 four door hardtop with a Riviera front clip and you'll know exactly what it would have looked like. Other pictures include a preproduction model of a Riviera convertible, and an artist's conception of a four door Riviera Phaeton (convertible,) complete with a wind screen for the rear seat passengers. There is also a 1960 photo of a clay mock-up of a Riviera parked next to a "Square Bird" Thunderbird, probably a '58 or '59.

If you'd like a copy of this magazine, I think that Gene Garnere has a number of them for sale.

Ed