Correct 1963 Riviera wheel covers

Guest tip

Do you want "show" or "driver" condition covers. I have a set of the latter. (I also have a set for a '64 - same condition.) I'm at school right now - the kids are taking a test - and I don't have access to my home computer. If you're interested, when I get home I'll post some pictures for YOU or anyone else interested (but not for the tire kickers, thanks.)

Ed

I'd like to get the best condition possible, but if you have some pics I'd like to check them out. Also just trying to see what kind of money I'm going to have to put out to find a nice set.

The unique thing about 63 covers as opposed to 64 and later covers is that the center of the 63 covers is Buick Tri-shield (silver instead of red/wht/blu) rather than the Riviera "R." The cast cover shown shown in thread #7 is from a '64. It has the "R" in the center and the space between the vanes is painted.

On a 63, the center would be a silver Tri-shield on a black background and the space between the vanes would be natural aluminum. As you can see the '63 Riviera cover is a one-year, one-model cover. Nothing from any other year like it. Nothing else from '63 like it.

The cast aluminum cover and the base stainless cover share the same center cap; the cap for the spinner on the wire cover is smaller.

I'll see if I can post some pictures of each tomorrow. (I've purchased base covers to rob them of the center caps.) Tire jockies seem to think the best place to smacka spinner for the cast covers is right in the middle of the plastic which cracks it.

Ed

The unique thing about 63 covers as opposed to 64 and later covers is that the center of the 63 covers is Buick Tri-shield (silver instead of red/wht/blu) rather than the Riviera "R." The cast cover shown shown in thread #7 is from a '64. It has the "R" in the center and the space between the vanes is painted.

On a 63, the center would be a silver Tri-shield on a black background and the space between the vanes would be natural aluminum. As you can see the '63 Riviera cover is a one-year, one-model cover. Nothing from any other year like it. Nothing else from '63 like it.

The cast aluminum cover and the base stainless cover share the same center cap; the cap for the spinner on the wire cover is smaller.

I'll see if I can post some pictures of each tomorrow. (I've purchased base covers to rob them of the center caps.) Tire jockies seem to think the best place to smacka spinner for the cast covers is right in the middle of the plastic which cracks it.

Ed

And I always thought the tri-shield were supposed to be R,W & B as opposed to silver. I thought the silver color was just a result of the colors fading over the years. I only had one emblem insert remaining on my '63s spinners as the others had disintegrated over the years. I never was able to find original nor repros for my spinners and I ended up adapting a set of shields from another set of hubcaps from a later year of Buick.

OK Tip: Here's something I have done for many years. I have all the combinations and when I feel like it I change things up. Poverty one time, wires the next. I even have a car I run no hubcaps. It always gives me great pleasure breaking any mold for things having to be absolutely authentic and correct. Mitch

• 5 years later...
On 11/19/2011 at 3:14 PM, RivNut said:

Chuck,

Thanks for the pictures. This should put everything into perspective for the owner's of a '63 who are trying to make it original.

Ed

Ed, speaking about original looks. I'm looking for a picture of a 1963 Buick Riviera trunk material and layout. I'm not a "show" car person. I do like to have the car looking like it is suppose to look. If you can provide direction I'd be grateful. Clark Corvair advertises they have period correct goods. I need to qualify what the complete look is for the trunk. As always

Thank you

Red Riviera Bob

Cover the entire trunk floor and wheel wells except for the cardboard pieces. You should see no metal. Depending on when your car was built, you'll either need a full tire cover if your spare is on the floor, or a half cover if you spare is tucked up under the package tray. I'd search the internet for pictures.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 8/23/2017 at 0:57 PM, RivNut said:

Cover the entire trunk floor and wheel wells except for the cardboard pieces. You should see no metal. Depending on when your car was built, you'll either need a full tire cover if your spare is on the floor, or a half cover if you spare is tucked up under the package tray. I'd search the internet for pictures.

I happened to meet another member of ROA yesterday at a Sat AM cruise in. The gent owned his 65 Riv for 52 years and the car was really really clean and in great shape, I saw the trunk of the 65 and I'm getting the picture.

thank you

RRB

8 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

I happened to meet another member of ROA yesterday at a Sat AM cruise in. The gent owned his 65 Riv for 52 years and the car was really really clean and in great shape, I saw the trunk of the 65 and I'm getting the picture.

thank you

RRB

Ed, when Ibought the 63 Riv the tire was tucked under the package tray with 1/2 cover of what appeared to be original light brown tweed. I'll call Clark's and they can hook me up with the right goods.

thank you

RRB

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2011 at 10:09 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Tip: Here's something I have done for many years. I have all the combinations and when I feel like it I change things up. Poverty one time, wires the next. I even have a car I run no hubcaps. It always gives me great pleasure breaking any mold for things having to be absolutely authentic and correct. Mitch

Mitch, I’m trying to sell myself the appropriate description of the cast aluminum wheel covers that bolt on the steel wheel of a 63 or 64 Riviera is NOT a rim. Some refer to the bolt on cast aluminum wheel cover as cast aluminum “rim”. Set me straight on this nit picking semantic regarding the cast aluminum ‘Rim” or wheel Cover?

thank you for your help

Red Riviera Bob

"Covers" cover the rim which is part of the wheel. In my vernacular, a wheel cover covers the entire face of the wheel, a hub cap covers only the lug nuts/ bolts.  The rim, according to Mr. Webster, is the part of the wheel on which the tire is seated.

• 5 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 7:28 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK RRB: It's called the Turbine wheel cover.  Simple. As. That!  Mitch

On 12/15/2017 at 7:28 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK RRB: It's called the Turbine wheel cover.  Simple. As. That!  Mitch

Mitch, thank you for your help on this I like to get things right. “ Turbine wheel cover” got it. I was a sales guy for 31 years that did government contracts and it is hard to keep things simple. Lately I was calling it a 63 cast aluminum turbine wheel cover.

Regards,

RRB