Paint?

studeboy

Nothing wrong with its durability, but it might cost you to get the wood-spoke wheels color sanded before the clear coat. I would think a single-stage finish like urethane or enamel would look good and cost less.

Phil

I beg to differ on the use of a basecoat with no clear. All the basecoats that I am familiar with will not hold up without clear on top. They would just get dull and powdery. I think you would regret this,especially if you paid for it. A bodyshop may not be the best place to get wooden wheels painted. You want to make sure that the wood is sealed well so the wood doesn't soak up the paint.

A single-stage finish is not a basecoat without the clear. It is a finish that does not require a clear coat such as Dupont's Centari enamel or Nason urethane. A good seal-coat under your primer would be "clear, penetrating epoxy sealer." These are used under boat finishes. Restoration Supply sells one, as do marine supply stores.

Phil

Are your wheels wood spokes, wires, steel disc type? If they are wood spoke or wires, I would seriously question your local shop's experience with painting these types of wheels. As most on this forum can tell you, these are not exactly easy/simple wheels to paint, to begin with. The preparation involved is quite time consuming, and if not done correctly even the best painter can't give you a good job. Secondly, the actual painting process for wood spokes and/or wire wheels is not something that someone with no experience will find easy. I know, I've been doing this type of painting for over 30 years! Smooth, even coverage with no dry areas, sags, runs, etc. is something that takes experience, and lots of practice time. This isn't like painting body panels, especially in modern body shops that are used to base/clear systems that are then sanded and polished. Believe me, you don't want to try to sand/polish a set of spoke wheels! If you're interested in learning what's involved in producing a quality finish on a set of wheels, PM me and I'll be happy to discuss it with you in detail. Good luck.

I would say a basecoat with no clear is more of a satin finish, almost flat. I would think it would be much duller than the original finish and it cannot be polished. Sounds like a note to franklinman might be a good idea, he speaks the truth, as does nickelroadster advising the seal coat on the wood. Good luck, Todd C

Obviously . . . current OEM-style automotive basecoat/clearcoat paint is NOT what should be on the wood spoke wheels. As mentioned, correct prep of the wheels is key to getting good results. I would think that Home Depot or similar might have just what is needed to sand, "linseed oil", and seal the wood wheels . . . not unlike a wood deck or house trim where the wood might have dried out. I somewhat suspect that whatever paint system which wooden spoke "vehicle" wheels might have had, back then, would be similar to what was available for houses or wooden boats.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467