cubic inches to c.c.'s

R.White

:confused:I have a question about displacement. According to my workshop manual, the figure for the 1926 engine should be 212.5 cubic inches. While I am happy enough with this, the authorities here in the U.K. expect me to quote cubic centimeteres (c.c.'s) or litres. I think it is just over 3 litres but I don't know for sure. Please could someone explain the method for converting cubic inches into cubic centimetres or just tell me what size my engine is, exactly. It would help with the registration form. (I realise the spelling is different) thankyou. Ray.

Guest Honolulu Dick

The quick and dirty magic number seems to be 61. Divide CID by 61 and you get Ltrs. Multiply Ltrs by 61 and you get CID.

350 CID divided by 61 equals 5.737049 Ltrs.

Your old 4-banger DB @ 212.5 CID should convert to 3.483606 Ltrs.

These responses have been most helpful and will enable me to answer the authorities with confidence.

Incidentally, do you have to pay tax on your historic vehicles in the U.S.? Does it depend on which State you live in or is there one rule for everyone? Here in the U.K. we have to notify the authorities even when the car is off the road (Statutory Off Road Notice) or face a heavy fine or even prison!

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Honolulu Dick- gotta love quick & dirty!! Thanks!

As far as tax goes, probably every state has its own procedures, but in California, which many state laws mimic, we pay a registration and license fee annually. If your car sports YOM (year of manufacture) plates, an additional fee is charged for this. If your vehicle is not running, you place it in "NON-OP" status which still costs something, but it is pretty minimal.

Traditionally a brand new car would pay the highest registration fee based on the value of the car. Each year the reg fees would drop a bit until they hit a baseline bottom level fee over about 8 years. This was true until recently when all of my "bottomed" out cars started going UP again!

In California, sales tax is paid on every transaction where there is a non-family change of ownership. This is up to 9.75% in some counties. Sales tax is charged over and over on the same vehicle each time a new owner takes title.

Government at all levels tapped the coffers and now grasp at anything to TAX you.

Hi Guys,

Australia is a little different.

You need a roadworthy certificate and then you can get you car registered.

You pay an annual fee.

If your registration lapses ( you dont pay it ) you can still keep the car but when you want to register it again, you need another roadworthy certificate and then you can register it.

Often proof of ownership creep in to so you have to be ready for that one.

;)Some interesting threads here, lads.

In the UK we do not pay any tax for vehicles first registered before 1973. This arrangement was originally introduced as a rolling programme designed to remove all vehicles over 25 years old from car tax and was introduced by an enlightened Chancellor of the exchequer, Ken Clarke, who also transformed our economy. Sadly, the programme was halted in it's tracks and much of his good work was subsequently undermined by a short sighted successor who saw the motorist as a convenient cash cow. Fortunately, when it comes to the certificate of road worthiness issued by the Ministry of Transport (M.O.T) the leglislation has traditionally been non-retrospective, hence my 1926 DB tourer is exempt from emission tests, indicators, seat belts, etc. and The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) keeps a close check on the masses of relevant new legislation spewing out of the European Union (EU).

Funny old world.

Ray.

In Oregon we can put a year of manufacture plate or a special interest plate issued by the state on a car that is over 25 years old. Then pay a one time registration fee for a permenant registration. And it is only around 65 dollars plus any title transfer and vin inspection fees.

The catch is that we can only drive the car to and from car functions, or parades and the likes. I have never been checked for driving to and from functions so couldnt tell you what the penalty would be.

As for the sales tax we are taxed on our income and do not have a sales tax. (very controversial here as those that work 'under the table' are not paying their share).(Hookers, drug dealers, back yard mechanics and the likes).

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

I wonder where is this thread going? The biker memories are indeed interesting. My original question asking how to convert cubic inches to cc's has been answered in several different ways; I particularly like the internet link from Lozrocks but for a quick calculation Honolulu Dick's 'Quick and dirty majic number 61' is hard to beat. I am so impressed with all your responses. Thankyou.

Ray.