91 sat for a while, fired it up now NO brakes, nothing!

Reattatude

I let my poor 1991 Reatta sit thru most of the summer b/c the a/c needed a charge - and maybe b/c I got a nice 1989 too. ; ) But during the course of time, about 4 months the battery weakened so it needed to be charged to get it to start.

Well, I think I let it sit too long. Today, I charged the battery a couple of hours and it fired up OK (had Pushed it into the grass a couple of days ago when the driveway was getting seal-coated) When I put it in gear and started rolling backwards I put my foot on the brakes...and the brake pedal sunk straight to the floor, I pumped it but no good, had to shift quickly back into park to stop the car.

The brake warning light is on in the dash - this is a Bosch system so if anyone has suggestions pls post Id hope not to have to tow it somewhere but its undrivable in the present condition!

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just the hose. :D

Hi Roger :D - (I sent you a PM yesterday)

I think its weird it didnt start leaking until it was pushed off the driveway into the grass. Had the drive seal-coated so I would have noticed a leak before we moved it. There is plenty fluid in the grass too.

Of course now my freshly coated drive has brake fluid on it. Ugh! :mad:

Windex works to remove brake fluid off vinyl siding. Testing out a pump/motor and the cut/crimped brake line wasn't crimped tight enough...

Good thing the wife wasn't around!

Probably good soultions for concrete driveway, this is asphalt and the brake fluid has already pretty much soaked into the surface. I will try some soap on it when wash one of my cars.

At least I wasnt flying down the hwy with no brakes!

• 3 weeks later...

All the rear brake lines were replaced.something about the retaining springs had coroded and that comprised the lines. The mechanic was pretty flabbergasted as they failed one after another everytime be would put in fluid and pressure test. Lol...except the bill isn't a laugh.

There is seldom anyone having problems with the 1991 brakes, so looking at the service manual, there is a proportioning valve for each side of the rear. They appear to be where the lines turn to go to each wheel.

On the Teves system, there is a proportioning valve at the rear because there is high pressure on the rear brake line and the proportioning valve is actually a pressure valve.

Since they put one on for each wheel in 1991, I suspect that they also are pressure valves and you may have a faulty one that is allowing too much pressure to reach those rear lines.

"pool of fluid under the back drivers side tire " is a pretty good indicator. Could happen to any brake system.

Incidently, the dual front, single rear brake line was common to many cars since the dual master cylender became common in 1967. I think the dual rear line system is (relatively) new. My '78 Sunbird V8 had a single rear line and was probably proportioned about right for a Reatta.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Yes, its a 1991. The pedal still sinks pretty close to the floor to get the car to fully stop.

The Buick Roadmaster wagon in comparison which got a brake job at the same garage is almost too touchy. The brakes are working excellent on it.

The tech said the rotor were a little rusty but that should have wore off - I think something is amiss in the Reatta still.