Another Theft! GRRRRRR!

Steve Moskowitz

Peconic Bay Region<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Antique Automobile Club of America<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

A 1928 Pierce Arrow "Helmeted Archer" radiator cap / hood ornament was stolen yesterday at our BBQ. The car was parked in front of the Barnyard Finds Store during our BBQ. The thief is on tape, he drove a 2006 or newer BMW F800ST motorcycle. The bike is yellow / pumpkin orange with black trim and has a high rear luggage box.<o:p></o:p>

Owner Margaret Vitale has offered a cash reward for information.<o:p></o:p>

If you see the "Archer" for sale or you can help, please contact the Suffolk County Police, 5th Precinct, Patchogue, New York, Detective John Borgess, Tel. 631-854-8500.<o:p></o:p>

Now that's just common, to steal it OFF the car.

Any chance that security tape caught the bike's license number? More than likely it's stolen too...

There have been three reports of cars stolen from owner's property here in the past couple weeks. All three not roadworthy per police reports, but one was an original 1985 Mustang GT, another a late 70s Nissan Z car, both awaiting restoration, both original owner cars.

I guess the scrap metal thieves are getting bolder. Makes me wonder when I'll go by the country house and find the two I have stored outside gone. A scrap metal dealer left a business card stuffed in the door out there a few months ago which made me uneasy, but leaving a name and contact number, not likely he'd come back to steal.

I guess the scrap metal thieves are getting bolder.

Heard a report on the radio this morning about the police catching a guy at the scrap yard selling metal framework for an outdoor above ground pool. Seems when the home owners went to work he drained the pool for the metal.

I'm thinking whoever took the Archer is aware they're worth some coin.

I don't know if it's desperation, crack addiction, or just plain sorry and trifling human beings, but that's bad when your swimming pool gets dismantled and stolen for the scrap value. Is there even a hundred pounds of metal in one of those frames?

Then all you get from the cops is "we'll give you a police report for your insurance claim".

That's why thieves are bold. They know it's low priority cop work and the losses will probably be covered by insurance.

Still infuriating when all your hard work and expense is stolen by someone who had no part in earning or restoring it, and they reap profit from it.

Yes - that would be the cap style that was stolen - I think it was the only PA archer with a helmet. I've had one like it in my collection since I was 14 - it was the first hood ornament I had the money for.

Sad times when some SOB can do such a thing, but my advice is to watch e-bay for one. There may be no way of tracing it back to the car, but I'd bet anything you will see it there.

A couple of years ago there was an incident in Virginia where a Model T in a trailer was stolen. At the same time 2 Harley's in another trailer that had been owned by an officer had also been taken. After several sad weeks for the T victim, he started looking for a replacement for both the car and trailer when someone alerted the police that his exact trailer was lised on e-bay - it was a custom trailer that held the car with it's top up. Long story short, the theif had a Sellers History there where he'd sold several trailers all over the country in the preceeding few months...

Guest namvetschrysler

Arn't they a mob of thieving Mongrels, no respect for peoples property, i would like to catch up with the low life that stole my carby, he wouldn't be doing what us blokes like to do for a very long time.