56 Power Steering Rebuld Kit

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

Anyone familiar with the power steering rebuild kit that CARS has? I found a mechanic that said he thought he could do it, if I found the kit. Anyplace else the fluid could be leaking from?

jerry

post-67843-143138583157_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jerry:

Do you have a part number for the kit from CARS? I'm not having much luck searching their site.

My steering box leaks more than my Dynaflow, but otherwise works fine. I disassembled it a couple of days ago--it's pretty straightforward, but I'm planning on leaving the control valve intact and am not planning on tearing into the piston or ball nut--just replacing the assorted o-rings, and the seals at the pitman shaft and input shaft.

So far it looks like 3 large o-rings, 2 medium sized o-rings for the elbow on the control linkage, and two small o-rings between the control valve and main body. Plus the seals and washers.

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Rick

Take those O rings to a seal and bearing place and have the counter guys match them up. That is what I did when I rebuilt the AC compressor in my 55. It will cost you three bucks instead of a "kit" price which I guarantee costs more. The only thing is that they may make you buy a pack of ten O rings. At that point, make your own kits and sell em on eBay!

Fusik told me they were developing a kit but I have not heard if it was completed yet. Isn't there a gasket or two needed ? One for the top plate and one for the plate for the steering column shaft?

I pulled the seals at the pitman shaft and the input shaft.

The pitman shaft seal carries the following identifying info: EP 46 5683373

The input shaft seal reads: GP 20892 09 5682846

Are all numbers significant, or just one set--maybe the ones starting with 56? If I match those numbers, are all the appropriate dimensions going to be correct for this application?

Thanks,

• 6 months later...

Finally decided it's time to get this project done, but no one seems to have a gasket and seal kit.

Spent some time on the phone with Terrance at Fusick--says the 56 Buick box was a one-year only unit, and they have not yet developed a kit for us. (They will PAY $100 and shipping for a unit they can tear down and use to create a kit.)

Anyhow--are there any other suppliers for a kit?

I rebuilt 2 Buicks and a 55 Olds unit using only the book and my local bearing/seal store. All units work great with no leaks at a VERY modest cost. Ditto for the pumps............ Faint hearts never fair maidens won.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

........ Faint hearts never fair maidens won.................Bob

I agree, but if Fusick will pay him plus pay for shipping AND rebuild his, then it'd be worth it. Plus he would technically be helping the future restorers who don't realize that you can just hit a bearing store and rebuild it for five bucks.

True. But then he wouldn't learn anything or have the pride and pleasure of doing the job himself. Is Fusik saying they will pay $100, shipping both ways, and rebuild the unit or are they saying they will pay $100 for a core to tear apart to see whats inside? ............Bob

Sorry I wasn't more clear--Fusick wants to buy one they can keep so they can develop the kit at their convenience.

I took a vacation day today and visited the bearing store in Raleigh for the seals and the rubber store for the O-rings and felt seal. Some of the rings looked a little smaller in the cross section than the originals, and they had to trim and reglue one of the larger rings to fit.

The cost of the O-rings and felt seal was less than $4. Not sure how much the seals were, will pick them up on Tuesday.

Mcmaster-Carr has a huge selection of O rings and a helpful guide to selection. They also sell the ring material by the foot to make your own. You cut the rubber on an angle and glue with super glue. I've had good luck doing that but if I could get the rings in the correct size that would be my first choice...........Bob