Texas to Danvers Route Recommendations

chuckfmtexas

I will be towing my 32 Buick in my enclosed trailer from Fort Worth, Tx to Danvers for the BCA Meet. I have looked at Mapquest, Google Maps, etc and it appears I have two choices when I leave Nashville.

Option #1 - I go North through Bowling Green, Lexington, Hunnington, Charleston, Morgantown, Hagerstown and then on through Pennsylvania and eventually connect with I-95 around Newark and it is pretty straightforward from there to Boston or-

Option #2- I stay on I-40 and then take I-81 through the Great Smokey Mountains etc. The less mountains the better towing the load I will have so I assume Option #1 is the better choice.

Comments?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck Nixon

Chuck can't tell you much about option 1, but on option 2 I-81 is my route to Hershey and is a very scenic drive and through VA runs in the Shannondoah Valley. I have not been on the mountainess section between Knoxville and galax, Va though as I come up I-77 to get to I-81 N.

Chuck, I drove truck for many years. Now retired, but if memory serves, option 2 is way less mountains than option 1. 1 81 runs between the 'ridges' of the mountains mostly.

But allow me to make another suggestion. A little farther, but I believe less pulls. I 30 to Memphis. North on I 55 to I 57 in MO. Take that to I 70 at Effingham IL. East on I 70 to Columbus, OH then No on I 71 to I 90 . I 90 in NY is a toll road, but reasonably flat. Just a thought.

Ben

Chuck,

If you take I-95, you sure want to avoid the NJ, NYC and CT rush hour times. I am no expert on the other routes, but you might also look at I-81, in PA to I-84, the MA pike and then to Danvers. But again I-84 in CT traffic (Danbury, Waterbury and Hartford) gets heavy at certain times of the day. Later advise also for anyone coming that route.

John

Edited by jscheib
Deleted I-80 (in PA) (see edit history)

Chuck,

There may be better info, but there has been some construction on I-81 in Scranton, PA, but it may be better now. Also, there are some hills on both I-81 and I-84 that may be a problem, but I expect those that are more familiar would be able to provide more info.

John

Chuck

Look at all options and be prepared to change the day you leave. Some decisions will depend on your tow rig (one ton dually with fifth wheel/gooseneck vs maxed out 1/2 ton with bumper pull), weather conditions (rain, heat, or wind), or traffic conditions (construction, day of the week or time of day in an area).

I would avoid I-40 through Tennessee---too many big rigs traveling 85+ mph.

Willie

I would definitely NOT come up through NJ, NY and CT on I95. I would follow 81 from Tennessee up to Scranton and then take 84 across to the Mass Pike, then 495. That's the route I take to Hershey and also the way I go to and from Florida (except I get off 81 and take 77 to Galax). It's hilly but very scenic. I don't think any of the "hills" would present a problem for you.

I have made the drive from Texas to Massachusetts and back nearly every year for over 50 years--first as a passenger in my parents' car and later driving my own car. I have tried and taken every single route that has been mentioned in this thread. Ben Bruce gave the flattest route, if you are looking to avoid hills. That is the way I came back from Massachusetts two years ago when I bought and towed my '59 Electra home from Melrose, Mass., determined to avoid the hills.

Routes to avoid, in my experience, are Interstate 44 through central and eastern Missouri--lots of long hills, up and down constantly--and lots of speeding 18-wheelers on the downgrades; Interstate 40 across Arkansas and Tennessee--more 18-wheelers use this route than any other route you can possibly take. They routinely drive in excess of the speed limit and will nearly run over anyone who isn't doing at least 70-75 mph. I-40 is the main street of America for truck freight. From just west of Nashville to just east of Knoxville, the hills are long and hard and frequent.

In New England, you should avoid Hartford, Connecticut during rush hours. There is no interstate loop around Hartford--the highway goes right through the center of the city, and it can sometimes take two hours to get through Hartford, especially on a Friday afternoon in summer. At times other than rush hour, it's a good way to go because Interstate 84 is one of the few toll-free interstates in the Northeast.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

you could also continue on 287 after the tappen zee bridge and get onto the Hutchinson River Parkway, which turns into the merrit parkway in CT and then get back on 95 around exit 38 in CT and then take that up to the danvers area. Once you are out of the new haven area on 95 in ct (past exit 52) traffic is never that much of an issue the rest of the way till u get to the boston area. The merrit/Hutch is also autos only like the sawmill.

you could also continue on 287 after the tappen zee bridge and get onto the Hutchinson River Parkway, which turns into the merrit parkway in CT and then get back on 95 around exit 38 in CT and then take that up to the danvers area. Once you are out of the new haven area on 95 in ct (past exit 52) traffic is never that much of an issue the rest of the way till u get to the boston area. The merrit/Hutch is also autos only like the sawmill.

Thanks I'll check that out.

Wow, thanks for all the input folks :) I will now sit down with my trusty Rand McNally maps and plot these routes to understand them better, then get back to Google Maps and plot them digital.

I am pulling a Pace 24' enclosed trailer with the 32 Buick in it with a Ford Super Duty F 250 diesel. I have driven this rig to North Carolina twice, Colorado Springs BCA Nationals in 2009 and Iowa BCA Nationals in 2010. Only hills/mountain climbs I can remember was the route to Colorado Springs but made it up and over the pass at the Colorado border OK.

I do know I-40 well as I used to go to Nashville in early June every year for 9 years with an open trailer towing my Chevelle to a national show. I have had several close calls with 18 wheelers so I don't relish going that way with the Buick rig.

I do know the I-84 route from South Hartford to Boston as the Buick was found south of Hartford and restored in Forestville, CT. I have made the trip back and forth to Boston during the 3.5 years of restoration as my son lives in Boston and when I would visit the family I would make the 2.5 hour drive to Forestville south of Hartford.

Again, thanks for the input and Pete I may give you a call to clarify some details on the route you took to get back to North Texas.

Chuck

post-36870-143138559325_thumb.jpg