RARITY??

Guest 72sst

Guest 72sst

.Im looking at 2 cars and want to buy 1.One is a 1964 Mercury Parklane 2 door Hardtop w/ bucket seats and a console with 390.The other is a 1967 Ford LTD 4 door post with a 428 engine.Is either of these cars rare?

Thanks,

Eric<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Generally speaking, more Fords were made than Mercury’s and more 4 doors then 2 door models. So, without getting into specific production data a 2 door Mercury will be rarer than a 4 door LTD. Disclaimer: unless the LTD has some especially rare hardly ever seen options.

Guest De Soto Frank

I agree that the Merc sounds rare and more interesting.

Be advised that "rarity" can be a double-edged sword, if you have to go chasing-down parts specific to that "rare" model only... ;)

In 1967 Ford sold nearly 52,000 LTD hardtops - no info on engine options though. I guess not many of them had the 428 as I presume most would have had 390s. In comparison Mercury only sold 1,786 two door hardtop coupes in 1964 - assuming it is not a fastback coupe of which another 2,700 were sold. I imagine the fittings you list with the Mercury were standard for the coupe.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Buy it because you like it, not because you want to make money on it.;)

Wayne

Good advice, you'll be happier all the way around..

Guest De Soto Frank

In my experience, " nobody wants a 4-door post"... most guys looking at it would buy it for the engine and junk the rest....

I think 1964 Mercurys are VERY cool and a hardtop with buckets especially so. Good advice here to buy the one you like and do not expect it to be a moneymaker.

Also good advice that if the Mercury needs any body or trim parts it may be difficult as they are far less numerous than a Ford even when new. Mechanical parts should be little problem either way, condition of the body and trim are more important. Good luck, Todd

Guest Kingoftheroad
In my experience, " nobody wants a 4-door post"... most guys looking at it would buy it for the engine and junk the rest....

I agree, most car people I know prefer the 2 door body styles. No offense

Guest De Soto Frank
I agree, most car people I know prefer the 2 door body styles. No offense

Tell me about it... I am the "King" of un-wanted four-door "post" sedans !

:P

( And I'm surely not adovcating junking the '67 LTD just to get the motor, but that would seem to be the popular trend... :( )

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

Trend with 60s cars seems to mirror the "old days" when a 4 door from the 30s was not at all desirable. Much closer in many cases today in terms of value.

As a rule of thumb though, body style usually trumps rarity and equipment and at times even model. (Price a mint '37 Packard 115 convertible against a mint '37 Sr. closed car to see what I mean.) BUT buy the one you like. Also consider condition. If funds are limited and the sedan is mint think long and hard about your purchase. I would rather drive and enjoy a sedan than have a two door on blocks for years because I cannot afford to finish it.

Four doors can be outstanding buys. I see a real clean '66-ish Pontiac sedan once in a while, at a local garage that I guess belongs to one of the crew. Anyway, it is nice and unusual to see this car - you don't see them too often, but can usually see the two door hardtop at most any decent sized show.

So rarity counts, but of you are buying your first old car, I would look at these other factors as well.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I would go with the Mercury too

the LTD may be a little "newer" and more comfortable driving distances in, so if hauling a larger family to far off distances is a portion of your equation, you might want to consider it

you rarely see either at car shows, so, as stated above, go with what needs the least ... and what is more interesting to YOU, rarity of either will have no value IMHO

Guest 72sst

Thanks for all the help.I agree.Im not in the best of health.Im 46 and have had lots of classics of the restorable driver type.I not looking to flip this one.I want something few people have.Making this car my last.

Guest De Soto Frank
Thanks for all the help.I agree.Im not in the best of health.Im 46 and have had lots of classics of the restorable driver type.I not looking to flip this one.I want something few people have.Making this car my last.

I vote for the Mercury. :cool:

I agree that the Mercury is a much rarer car, especially a Park Lane with buckets and console. On the other hand, I've always had a soft spot for 67 Fords, especially the LTD 2 and 4 door hardtops. A Galaxie sedan with a 428 is pretty rare. I've been looking for a '67 at Hershey since 2004; one of these years, there's going to be one.