1964 Starfire Conv't Antenna Question

Bee-Oh-Pee

Folks,

This is my first post, so be gentle! :) Today I wired the $$ for a "super" nice '64 Starfire convertible, and I have a question about the antenna. I've never seen the car myself, but it has no external antenna in the pictures -- even though I'm 99% sure it had an AM/FM radio from the factory. Can anybody solve this mystery? (Hopefully I'll know firsthand when it arrives at my house in S.E. Louisiana next week some time.)

Thanks in advance,

John

That's my guess too. Electric antenna that was retracted when the pics were taken.

All power antennas were on the right rear fender. Factory air cars with manual or electric had them on the rear fender.

I'm not sure what they did on a dealer A/C install job since the antenna would have been right where the evaporator core needed to go.

BTW- welcome to the world of early 60s Oldsmobile idiosyncrasy. You will run into some things that will make you ask yourself, why on God's green earth did they do it that way?

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Guest mortsciguy

I also have a 64 Starfire convertible. It is in excellent condition, so I would be happy to share any pics or info. My unit is non-a/c.

Kelly

P.S. The antenna location is on rear right fender top, withe the switch below the center dash overhang.

Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome.... The car definitely has no trace of the antenna anywhere.... you can see inside the trunk, where there's no column for it on the right. The car has no A/C, factory or otherwise. But judging by the pictures, it has an Olds AM/FM, and the current owner says it plays fine.... so the mystery remains. I should get it some time next week and will get to the bottom. But obviously, it has no power antenna switch, either; so it definitely did not come with power antenna. Does anybody know whether power antenna was supposed to be standard if you got a factory radio, or was it an option ? Can anybody point me to the definitive list of options on these cars? I have some literature on the way, but nothing as I write. It does appear to have the cornering lights; but not a lot of other options.

Best wishes, and I'll be looking for some venues to show it in SE Louisiana in a few weeks!

"Ponchatoula" John

A manual right front fender antenna was standard on all radio equipped cars. As mentioned, a/c cars and power antenna cars had the antenna relocated to the right rear quarter. Sounds like at some point in its life the right fender got wrinkled and replaced with one from an a/c or power antenna equipped car. It'll be interesting to see where the antenna lead from the radio runs to...

Paul

Kelly,

Pretty car!;) This is my first Olds since my '73 Delta Royale 455 sedan that I bought in '76 sold in '80, believe it or not. I had been a old Chrysler and Buick GS guy until 2005. I tire-kicked (even flirting with a couple Chrysler 300 convert's) for over 5 years and this week it was time to ante up.

Thanks much for the offer --> I know it's only a matter of time before I take you up on it.

It will be extremely interesting (and hopefully not too surprising) when I finally get to look at my car under a microscope; it's supposed to be picked up today by the shipper. If pic's don't lie, it will be a "beaut."

BTW, what's the deal with the '64 S'fire front side fender vents, how some just have chrome outlines (mine), and others (yours) have the full chrome insert?

Let me know if you get a line on an original jack and spare.

Also BTW, what part of MI are you in? I used to go up to N. Mich. (Antrim Co.) every summer.

John

I also have a 64 Starfire convertible. It is in excellent condition, so I would be happy to share any pics or info. My unit is non-a/c.

Kelly

P.S. The antenna location is on rear right fender top, withe the switch below the center dash overhang.

The inner coves on the fender vents are to be painted body color with just the trident outlines showing chrome. Common mistake when painting a 64. Same thing happens with 69-70 Toronado gas filler doors.

Here and classicoldsmobile.com are probably the best for 60s fullsize Olds. oldspower.com leans toward G-body Cutlass and realoldspower.com is more hardcore racers.

Hi John,

You just missed the big show at Community Motors in Hammond - just up the road from you in Ponchatoula. I missed it too because we were on the AACA Founders Tour in Florida.

You need to meet Marion and Vicky Fannally on Range Road, or Doug Wells on Hwy 22, and get involved with Louisiana Region AACA, and with the Slidell Chapter - Larry Larmieu is President. You can PM me for contact info.

Guest mortsciguy

John,

I live in Lapeer County, about 70 miles north of Dtroit ( in the "thumb"). I lived in Belle Chase, LA for a year when I was in the Navy. Rocketraider answered the "full chrome vs. paint filled" question quite nicely. Looks like I have details to attend to.

Kelly

Hey Kelly... Belle Chasse is a great place. The air show is this weekend, and I think I went about 20 years in a row! But I haven't been to one since before Katrina. I actually work at a Navy/Military facility on the lakefront in N.O.

We really didn't pass thru your neck of the woods going up to Antrim Co. We did drive down to Flint from Bellaire, however, for Buick's 100th birthday party in Flint in 2003. (That was an event to remember!)

Sounds as if you have a little detail project on your hands!

Best,

John

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee
Signature (see edit history)

Guest chequenman
Hey Kelly... Belle Chasse is a great place. The air show is this weekend, and I think I went about 20 years in a row! But I haven't been to one since before Katrina. I actually work at a Navy/Military facility on the lakefront in N.O.

We really didn't pass thru your neck of the woods going up to Antrim Co. We did drive down to Flint from Bellaire, however, for Buick's 100th birthday party in Flint in 2003. (That was an event to remember!)

Sounds as if you have a little detail project on your hands!

Best,

John

So where's your power antenae, we're still waiting for the results!!! ;)

A little FYI- the 1964 showroom catalogs show the Starfire convertible in your exact color combination. White with blue interior and top, and I think the artwork has cornering lights. Also has the bolt-on aluminum wheelcovers.

You have a handsome automobile there.

Since we're talkin' radios here, wasn't '64 the first year you could get a factory "reverberation" unit? If it was set right, wasn't half bad for "fake" stereo, but listening to a ball-game or a talk show with one would be like hearing it from inside a 55-gallon drum!

Know an Oldsmobile guy down from Lafayette, LA (a little ways from you), his name is Scotty Hall.

A '64 SF ragtop is indeed a rare bird; only a little more than a couple thousand were ever made; congrats on your purchase!

I'm thinking 63 was first year for it, since I pulled one out of a 63 88 sedan 20-plus years ago along with a rear defog setup. The defog ultimately ended up in Bob Dotseth's Sunset Mist 62 Starfire, and the reverb went in my blue 64.

Mike, that's why they had on-off switches! Rough roads could play havoc with one too, boingy-boingy-boingy every time you hit a bump or went over railroad tracks.

I liked Oldsmobile's reverb setup better than Pontiac's. Olds had a simple on-off switch for the amp and the radio's fader controlled volume of the "concert hall" rear speaker. Pontiac had a 3-position switch- front speaker only, rear speaker only, or both speakers with rear speaker reverberation. No rear speaker volume control.

My green 64 has an aftermarket reverb- Archer, I think from Radio Shack. Debating whether to keep it- it works, just cluttering up the bottom of the dash. I would love to see it and the underdash A/C gone. I'd like to see ALL of the A/C unit gone, but there's a little matter of a seized bolt holding its bracket to the engine, and that bolt goes into the water jacket.

So where's your power antenae, we're still waiting for the results!!! ;)

Chequenman,

The car has been delayed... maybe it's the ol' "soft shoe," but the shipper said one of his trucks got delayed by the Tuscaloosa weather and he was set back about a week on his deliveries. I've been sworn to up and down that these guys are good ("the best"), but I have no experience with them; so I'm hoping it will all turn out well. The name of the company is Stooney's and they're out of NJ. The latest timeframe is a pickup tomorrow (5/9) and delivery on Thursday (5/12). I'll post pretty much as soon as I take "delivery."

A little FYI- the 1964 showroom catalogs show the Starfire convertible in your exact color combination. White with blue interior and top, and I think the artwork has cornering lights. Also has the bolt-on aluminum wheelcovers. You have a handsome automobile there.

Thanks for the compliment, Rocketraider --> Couldn't agree more. I did see that picture in the brochure... that's gonna' make quite a nice display at a car show! Really glad the new baby has cornering lights, as it's kind of light on other options.

Thnx again....

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee (see edit history)

Good to hear that, Dave. The only other endorsement I had gotten was from the seller; so I was taking them on their word. My biggest problem with the whole thing -- and I partially blame myself -- is that I paid for the transportation up front, in full, 2 weeks ago. Makes one a little nervous, to say the least.

If Stooney's stated high waters have delayed them, they are being truthful. I used them, and found them to be upright, honest, and fortunately for me, on time.

I am sure it is frustrating for you. It may get worse, as the waters keep rising!

I recommend Stooney's to all who ask. It is a top notch outfit!

They transported my 55 Cadillac Coupe de Ville from upstate NY to WI. I specifically requested that the car be covered in transit and not moved once loaded, until it was off loaded at the time of delivery to me. When the car arrived they had to remove 3 cars to get to me. There she was, on the top, all the way in the front of the trailer, with the car cover in place!

What more needs be said?

To view pics of their operation, see my web site GrayLady

Quite an endorsement, Dave. I did request to Lori (the dispatcher) that the car not be moved from N.Y. to Ponchatoula; but if my baby has a safe and secure ride, I'll be happy.... ignorance is really bliss where all this is concerned. If I were the negotiating party at the outset, I'd have probably talked more closely with a few movers before shelling out the clams, and gotten some real promises. But Stooney's was basically chosen for me; judging by your posts, I could have done much worse. We'll see this week.... I'll let the world know one way or the other.

BTW, GrayLady is fabulous. I have a friend near Traverse City, MI, w/ a 55 CDV w/ very few miles, wearing Celadon Green Iridescent factory paint. The finish has been touched up in places, but is largely original. Although Gene has about 10 cars, this one consistently gets the most gawks, even with competition like a red 59 Dynamic 88 conv't and a '63 T-bird conv't -- both practically mint.

Yes, we do like the Gray Lady. Our plan is to put some miles on her this summer. To date the only major thing I have had to do to her is rebuild the carb. That task went well.

I have, and shall continue to, highly recommend Stooney's. Very professional in my opinion. Hope your ride arrives soon!

Folks,

Well I finally got the car last night. The pictures didn't lie... she's a beaut! I would just set up a chair in the garage and stare at her for a few hours today if I didn't have to work! She does have a few more (relatively minor) issues than were communicated, which is really not surprising, since the guy did not communicate car stuff well at all, either by intention or by ingorance. (I'm reserving judgment on that.) After all, caveat emptor. I'll post some pictures and issues in the coming days.... but just wanted everyone who's been following this thread to know of the blessed event!

Hey, Dave. Stooney's farmed out the job.... the guy who moved it (Gran Turismo Motorsports) seemed pretty decent. It definitely had to be moved at least once; but he seemed pretty careful. Had some other pretty nice cars, so I'm sure it was in good hands.

Here's a pic as she just rolled off the truck; and a second one getting her oil changed at her new home (with siblings); and a third one showing that the air filter ass'y had simply been installed wrong.... no carburetor rebuild needed for now!

I will follow up in another thread about what else I've found mechanically....some pretty incredible (such as no air filter element in canister!).

post-75254-143138540857_thumb.jpg

post-75254-143138540871_thumb.jpg

post-75254-143138540883_thumb.jpg

Why is the air cleaner housing installed wrong? Because it is pointing straight? I seem them "every-which-of-way," and have now definitive authority as to what is correct. Perhaps Olds advertising at the time, with a pic of the engine, might answer the question of what is correct?

A nice lookin' ride!

John,

Looks like a very nice car. Check out everything before you do much driving. I recently bought a 63 Starfire coupe, looked pretty but needed brakes, front end work, etc. I'd suggest you pull all four drums and change the transmission fluid just to be safe. Good luck!

Thanks, Don. Honestly --> cosmetically, I don't think they come much nicer.... it's almost flawless, especially for being its age. Nothing's perfect, and it has obviously been in the hands of one or more folks who really don't know much about mechanical maintenance; but it survived until now, the engine runs very nicely, and the Slim Jim shifts solidly, which is great news.

Throughout the car (interior, under hood, etc.) is evidence of its original mileage (about 44k) that's reassurning. It's so funny to see that little 4-blade fan (no a/c) and no clutch on a big car! And when I saw that bizarre oil drain plug, I 'bout flipped! Never saw one before, and my first thought was that it was aftermarket.

Dave, the air cleaner is on correctly now; in the seller's pictures (and when I got her), the snorkel was pointed to the right (passenger side) and I thought it might be because of some sort of interference with a supposedly replaced carburetor; but the person just didn't have it on straight. I still need to get and install a PCV setup, which was removed at some point.

Guest chequenman

There should be a nipple tube attached to the right side of the Snorkle allowing a 5/8" moulded hose to go to your right rocker cover PCV.

Nice looking ride, Good Luck

Cliff

What, pray tell, is bizarre about the drain plug? It made perfect sense in the 1959-67 timeframe it was used... :P Of course there was a special tool made expressly for removing it back then.

Some of you know about the 1961 Holiday I bid on over the weekend and dropped out when it went higher than I thought it should have. A twenty-something who had never driven anything but Hondas bought it :eek: :o . I explained some of the things he'd run into with this car and the drain plug was one of them.

RE: connection to valve cover- 1964 uses a steel tube to connect the PCV valve to the aircleaner snout. It fits into the grommet on aircleaner, and then connects to PCV with a short length of heater hose and ear clamps.

Ha ha! Yeah, what was that weird 7/8" head doing on my '73 '88's drain plug? :) It took me quite a while to get that thing off last Saturday without damaging it. BTW, I did find a Mac socket for that recessed head, and ordered it for the next change....

Glenn, if you ever run into that tube anywhere or if you'd happen to have an extra, please let me know.... I'm not having any luck on line thus far.

Thanks.... more pic's and idiosyncrasies forthcoming, hopefully sooner rather than later. Here's a "solo" pic for now, and about as good as I can do while in the garage.

What, pray tell, is bizarre about the drain plug? It made perfect sense in the 1959-67 timeframe it was used... :P Of course there was a special tool made expressly for removing it back then.

Some of you know about the 1961 Holiday I bid on over the weekend and dropped out when it went higher than I thought it should have. A twenty-something who had never driven anything but Hondas bought it :eek: :o . I explained some of the things he'd run into with this car and the drain plug was one of them.

RE: connection to valve cover- 1964 uses a steel tube to connect the PCV valve to the aircleaner snout. It fits into the grommet on aircleaner, and then connects to PCV with a short length of heater hose and ear clamps.

post-75254-143138544312_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest mortsciguy

John,

Long time, no talk. How goes everything with the '64 Starfire Convertible? I just did a valve job ( at 49,500) on mine, and did a little 220 mile round trip to the Oldsmobile Homecoming in Lansing, Mi. 75 mph both ways...wow. Let me know how your Starfire adventure is moving forward!

Kelly Martin

Hey, Kelly! Hard to believe it's been over 2 years since the last post in this thread.... downright scary, in fact.

I do a little to the Olds, but really don't do enough. Just the basics -> washing when it needs it; oil changes. I did a thorough lubrication a few months back -- things like all the hinges, lock cylinders, latches, etc. Got all the PCV system installed, as I think I updated on the board (maybe it was on the CO site?). I adjusted the door strikers and latches, and other small things. But my "to do" list is long, yet. It really needs front end work, and a radiator flush. That will all come later this year.

I did do the trunk (jack & spare); but as I've gone into gory detail about, I'm convinced mine came without the side cardboards. I can tell by the way the carpet was glued, when compared to the many pictures I received (including yours I believe?) of other '64 Olds trunks. I even bought the blue boards, but after fiddling with them for days, came to that conclusion. Not sure whether the spare cover was blue from factory, but I sure like the way it looks now. :cool: The other pic is the finished PCV system. Not sure whether I've posted these somewhere else on this site.

post-75254-143141967128_thumb.jpg

I'd really like to get a nice set of early '70s 15" wheels and put some radials on mine to drive on trips like that. I don't feel comfortable at all with those 14" biases I have now. I feel I'm pressing my luck. But then, I guess I'd have the wheel cover issue to deal with, too, as I hear my 14" won't fit the 15" GM wheels. Alway sumpin'.

That must've been nice to take that trip. I'd love to do something like that. Did you feel your car got lost in the shuffle, or did it garner rave reviews?

Did you ever touch up those trident fender vents? Great to hear from you.....

John,

Long time, no talk. How goes everything with the '64 Starfire Convertible? I just did a valve job ( at 49,500) on mine, and did a little 220 mile round trip to the Oldsmobile Homecoming in Lansing, Mi. 75 mph both ways...wow. Let me know how your Starfire adventure is moving forward!

Kelly Martin

post-75254-1431419671_thumb.jpg

Guest mortsciguy

Hey John,

Good to hear from you. When I got my Starfire, it was sporting bias ply tires and drove just terrible. It kind of twitched over expansion joints and broken highway surfaces. I shoed it with the biggest radials I could find, which turned out to be 215/75r/14 Hankook radials. What a great difference! If you go that route, you can run the stock rims and caps. I think I spent $340 complete. It is also a good idea to have the alignment done to radial standards, which you can get from someone on this site.

Still have not dealt with the paint needed on the trident trim.

Kelly

P.S. did you ever answer the antenna question? Been so long I can't recall.