Fla law: junking cars.

rhb1999

I understand Florida law now requires cars to be junked to have titles? Good or bad? I mention this because, in the past I have seen collectible cars brought in to junkyards and scrapyards by people that I understand look everywhere for cars, any kind of car, to sell for scrap.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Obviously the legislators in several states in an effort to keep cars from being stolen for scrap have never tried to find the VIN number on a car turned into a cube of scrap metal. One of those stupid laws no state can afford the personnel to enforce and therefore the car thieves are insured of business as usual.

Jim

I too have heard that is the rule here in Florida. The other option is to cut it up and sell as scrap metal. What else can you do? If you keep them, the code enforcement people show up.

I have a friend who bought three vehicles from out of state just to get the parts he needed for his restoration. Now he has 3 partially stripped and rusty 1950 Chevrolet Sedan Deliveries that will be given to an energetic guy with a torch, then sold as crap metal. Seems like a shame to me.

I once bought a parts car from a junkyard, on the condition that I could not or would not title it, and that I would only use it for parts. But it was never put into the "yard", people have told me once one is put there it has something called a "certificate of destruction" status on it and it is almost impossible to remove? Paul Dobbins: I agree, I hate to see any collector car to be destroyed, one that can yield parts.

Perhaps someone could find the exact text of the law, before we start another thread like the "collector car tax" thread? Speculation is meaningless. Let's get the facts first, because frankly I don't understand what the OP is saying.

Dynaflash8:

I think you were being to kind to the legislators, you have to have a brain first in order for it to be classified in any form from dumb to ignorant to brain dead.

Here in Alabama there is no title on a car prior to 1974, so how in the world could anyone comply that moved to one of these states with a pre 74 car. You cannot provide something that NEVER existed in the first place. I know that Alabama is quite kind on old cars but I would rather have it that way then place all manner of ridiculous conditions that no one can meet.

ALK

Perhaps someone could find the exact text of the law, before we start another thread like the "collector car tax" thread? Speculation is meaningless. Let's get the facts first, because frankly I don't understand what the OP is saying.
Facts is just what I was looking for regarding the need for titles in junking cars in Florida.