Need Tips on Cleaning Hubcaps

Bell1220

I have all kinds of hubcaps I need to clean up. I'm not talking about with some polishing machine to make them perfect - I just want to make them as presentable as possible. What are some of the best ways/solutions to use to spruce up dull parts and/or bring the best shine out of shiney ones. Also - differing procedures for chrome, stainless, etc.. So far I've been using dish soap, water, and a paper towel. But, in some cases, they come out splotchy.

Thanks.

I have a mound of stainless steel caps that can be seen from "Google Earth" and my honey uses "Simple Green" on them to make them presentable for me to sell on ebay. She says, "Nothing works better". No blotches anywhere!

If they are wire spoke wheel disks put them in your dishwasher. Does a wonderful job but don't get caught by the commander in chief. The penalties are even worse than using her vacuum to clean out your the oil burner on you furnace.

I know a guy here in Florida who has polished stainless steel for some of the nicest cars in the country. The other day he was cleaning up some old chrome parts with Florida sugar sand. (dirt) I was astounded, but he says it works great on chrome but not for stainless. It doesn't make a brilliant shine, but takes the rust and crud off. I may have to try it.

I thought you were taking me for a ride with that one. But, checked it out on Google and found that ketchup is really supposed to work. Someone posted that they used tin foil with it - or the foil from inside cigarette packs to rub the ketchup into rusty caps with good success.

Thanks for the information. This has gotten pretty interesting. I will be trying out all of these tips.

I remember back in 64 my sister bought a new Olds F-85 Cutlass with wire wheel hub caps. After about six months of trying to keep them clean especially the spokes and behind the spokes she decided that she would pop them off and put them in the dishwasher using plenty of Cascade (no water spots) detergent. It worked great. The bad part about it was all the asbestos from the brake dust was going through the dishwasher. Something she didn't discover about brake lining until ten years later :eek:. These days would be alright as asbestos lining is forbidden.

Don

The bad part about it was all the asbestos from the brake dust was going through the dishwasher. Something she didn't discover about brake lining until ten years later :eek:. These days would be alright as asbestos lining is forbidden.

Don

What year did they stop using asbestos in the brake lining. I have some caps I'd like to throw in the dishwasher. But, I'm not about to take that chance!!!!

Good question, I don't think they have any now. I do remember seeing some shoes and clutch disc in boxes with warning labels even in the early 90's. Not to worry though as kids we always played in the street... so where did that brake dust end up?? you guessed it... where we played catch, football, skate boarded. Then down the storm drain when it rained and out to the ocean where we surfed. We were a hardy bunch!

Don

FYI, If you do house renovation and your old appliances are to be replaced save them if you have space for them. Old washing machines for your oily rags and clothes. Old ovens for heating cylinder heads to install valve guides and seats, and baking ceramic coating paints. Dishwasher for cleaning wire wheels. refrigerator/freezer for storing beer/vodka and frozen valve guides to slip in effortlessly into those heads you had in the oven. Don't want to forget those old deep fryers with corn oil to help heat up gears and spacers for installing on a crankshaft--- I mean you can use a press, but this makes assembly a smooth as butter.

Don