• V-8
    • BOMBSIGHT
    • VERTICAL GRILLE
    • SWEEP SPEAR
    • BUICK "8"
    • VENTIPORTS
    • HAWK
    • ROUND BUICK AUTHORIZED SERVICE IMAGE
    • EARLY BUICK (CURSIVE IN RECTANGLE BOX)
    • WILDCAT

I see by the photos from our friend in Ga.that my old memory is still functioning "49 were Buicks first venti-ports and the spear is a semi-sweep. I can't remember the '51's trim at present but I am thinking it was a semi spear as well not a true sweep spear as was on the '54's Thanks for the pictures Mr. Earl. Come to think of it maybe the '53 Riveria Coupes or convertibles were the first with the true sweep spear. Thriller, good point but I thought we were talking about the trim not the body pressings. I owned a '50 Roadmaster and don't recall a sweep spear on it. Man I wish I still had that one. Mark

Guest my3buicks

53 was the first year for the TRUE check mark sweep-spear in stainless on the Skylark - but I believe that the sweep-spear hearkened back to the pontoon fender lines of the 42 Roadmaster and the sweep-spear style continually morphed until it's height of style from 53 thru 57. The sweep-spear continued in Buick styling off and on clear up to today's LaCrosse which has it in the upper side body lines.

I was remiss in forgetting one iconic image from 1919 to 1984.

One that bleeds Buick and GM??????

What is the first thing you see when you open the door of a Buick during those years that represent our members cars..........................???????????????????????????

FisherBodyLogo.jpg

Simply put, I still maintain that the forty-nine's were the first for the sweep-spear (albeit were not as pronounced as the 54-57) as well as portholes, and riviera hardtop. Beautiful year of Ned Nickles showing off his design style. Here is a convertible produced later in the year than the one above displaying the sweep spear instead of the straight bottom trim. My wife loves this car. (so do I)

49buickroadmasterconvdv.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I was remiss in forgetting one iconic image from 1919 to 1984.

One that bleeds Buick and GM??????

What is the first thing you see when you open the door of a Buick during those years that represent our members cars..........................???????????????????????????

Body by Fisher?

Guest my3buicks

Mmmm, that 49 is tasty.

I will still say the 42 Roadmaster started the Sweep - spear styling that by 1949 started taking shape with the accent chrome and finally hit home with the 53 Skylark

post-30591-143138474997_thumb.jpg

I guess it comes down to a question of defining terms. If you mean the basic styling concept, it goes back to the 40s. If you mean curved side panel trim, then Lamar has shown us photographic evidence on a '49. If you define it to be the heavily check-marked, then we start in '53 with the Skylark. It isn't an argument per se.

As for my earlier comment on the side trim, I was just going by the photos in the Standard Catalog of Buick. I sit corrected.

I have been away for a few days and have not followed this thread, but now I need to look for some old photos. I think a version of the sweepspear first appeared on the Brunn designed and built Custom Buicks of 1940, 41 (see page 216 of "The Buick - A Complete History).

John

I will bow to the gentleman from Connecticut. That sir is indeed a SWEEPSPEAR. Hopefully someone with more time than I will post the pictures and text. Very interesting that it appears the Sweepspear was designed by one Hermann C. Brunn and not Ned Nickles after all. Thank you for this great information John. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! Nobody's ever right but nobody is ever wrong. :D

Perhaps someone should start a new thread called The Ornaments and Emblems of Buick.

I like it, I like it This forum is very stimulating to the little gray cells not to mention all the work the memory banks do in searching out the places where we filed these bits of information away. I am having trouble with the concept of "never being wrong/ never being right". Does that mean we all agree to respectfully disagree on all non essential subjects to our beloved Buicks which is the one thing we all have in common? So Just what color crayon am I then. Mark

Does that mean we all agree to respectfully disagree on all non essential subjects to our beloved Buicks which is the one thing we all have in common?

Yes. THAT is what makes this forum great.

So Just what color crayon am I then? Mark

Green with envy over cars that are better than our own. :D

Now I have to dig some more. I also belive I saw that other Brunn designed cars (non-Buicks) also had a form of sweep spear, so it would probably be correct to say that Ned Nickles brought the sweep spear design to more wide spread use.

John