The Reatta Database Page???

Guest ReattaFan1

It was updated at least 3 times in 2010.

When people send me updates, I update my master within days. If I am getting very few updates, I do not send an update to Tom. In some cases, it might not be updated online for several months.

I am working on new information, but it is very time consuming. The master was scanned last year and converted to Excel. Now I am cleaning up the info.

Example, the scanner might scan 1G4EC13C8LB900444 AS IG4ECI3CBIB90044, notice the scan made the 1 and I it made the L and I and the 8 a B. If these are not corrected, Steve will point out the errors and claim the information is invalid, tainted, etc.

So in the interest of correctness I am spending hours looking for any scan errors in the 1990 printout.

Guest steveskyhawk

"Example, the scanner might scan 1G4EC13C8LB900444 AS IG4ECI3CBIB90044, notice the scan made the 1 and I it made the L and I and the 8 a B. If these are not corrected, Steve will point out the errors and claim the information is invalid, tainted, etc. "

Finally Barney agrees! This is kinda like the dyslexic errors that the human donors made when they wrote down the vins at the wrecking yards, parking lots etc. No big deal unless your pride and joy is reported as scrap. I'm just saying.

I routinely scour the wrecking yards is the greater Los Angeles and strip quite a few Reattas destined for the crusher in a week or two. I make it a point to deny Barney the data from these cars (and so should you) so to protect the value of your car and mine.

If a car is reported as scrapped with one incorrect digit in the vin, then somebody's car's provenance is all but destroyed.

Barney's bad data is worse than no data.

Guest ReattaFan1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Eaton

Quote:

We could bring this up for a vote......database or no database. According to Steve there is no database now, because it is incorrect.

Steve is also afraid I will transpose a vin number if he send them, what about on his end, he could do the same, so to play it safe and not risk an error, he is doing nothing.

I might also point out that while Steve post here often, his post are always to correct someone..... give his opinion and do not add content.

A recent example........ the post I started on the 1991 Reatta wheels. I ask if someone could give the backspacing for the Riviera/Park Avenue chrome wheel. Steve responded with the following..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those chrome Riviera wheels are one of my favorite Reatta upgrades. I believe they are the best looking OEM wheel available for our cars. I have figured out how to make brand new matching chrome hubcaps which includes an NOS Reatta center. Pictured is my black 89 with the Riv wheels and centers. I think the older cars ride and handle a little better with the larger wheels and tires. IMHO

I have multiple extra sets if anyone is interested. Shipping wheels is expensive so do you research before you contact me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that he gave his opinion, did a pitch on his ability to put a Reatta emblem in the chrome hub caps, followed by a sales pitch for the multiple extra sets of wheels he has available.

He has multiple extras sets of wheels but did not include or offer to give us the backspacing dimensions.

This is a constant theme of his post. I stopped responding to his negative responses long ago but sort of set him up for this one, so I felt there needed to be a response.

Were human, errors happen. On my Reatta title Florida State made an error the title reads IG4EC11C7JB903694 Oops! it happens. Thanks Barney for all that you do. Im pretty new to the forum I just was curious about how soon it took for the updates to show on the database

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

...So in the interest of correctness I am spending hours looking for any scan errors in the 1990 printout.

Barney - a trivial computer program could read the file and easily find the sort of scanning discrepancies that you are describing in a fraction of a second. If I could be of assistance, please email or PM me.

Title errors happen. It recently happened to us. The DMV fixed it very quickly.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Barney keep the faith.

It has always been surprising to me that those that are the most negative are the ones least interested in trying to offer a solution. I have no interest in what you are doing with the data base. I have two nice daily drivers with clean titles. I know that once you get your project done and I look up my VIN and see incorrect info I can notify you with what is wrong, and am confident that it will be corrected. The ones here that should be the most concerned are those with Select 60s or '91 convertables.

Carfax has been known to get things wrong and no one calls for them to be terminated. Ebay has just started a vehicle history report and my thought is to just use them as a guide.

Steve comes on here thinking he is offering a service [which he is] but all he is doing is alienating potential clients with his abrasive posts. From reading others comments, Steve is pretty much the last supplier used by frequent posters to this site. I believe [without any evidence] that his best source of revenue is Ebay thru his on line store.

As a personal note I would not support buying parts from anyone who does not support both the BCA and the Reatta Division, and would encourage others to do the same. The powers that be, that monitor these forums, went after Reattaman for his signature regarding religion. I think that they should censor and remove any indication of "parts for sale" from everyones signature line. That is what we have a "Buy/Sell" section to this website for. And at the top of the Reatta general discussion page we have a list of suppliers that offer parts.

That should be enough.

Oh and by the way 90% of the parts bought and sold are interior parts. And all interior parts are corrosion free no matter where in the country they are bought from.

And the more I write this, the madder I get.

If more of you would walk thru u pick yards you would see how cheap parts are. These salvage yards don't really care about anything but the steel, motors and transmissions. The interior parts are sold for almost nothing. And the extra advantage is that you get to learn how to remove a part on a car that is not yours!

So here is the pricing I typically pay for parts at my local yard.

For $5.00 each I can buy the following;

Glove box latches, Headlight/Wiper pods, Radios, Cassette Decks, CCRT, Fog light/Head light Retract switches, 16 way seat pods, Console/Dash trim pieces, Door switches, Mirror/Window switches, Hood supports, virtually any wire harness, MAF sensor [or any sensor for that matter] Inverters

$10.00 - $20.00 gets me;

IPC, CRT, ICM/w Coil pack, EGR, EBCM, BCM, ECM, Teves pump motor, Door panels, Antennas

I bought a set of four Wheel Speed sensors for $10.00, Reatta tailight, Alternators, Headlight motors, Headlight control modules, Serpentine Tensioner assembly, Harmonic Balancer

Windshields/Rear windows are $75.00 and they remove them

Outside mirrors w/glass are $20.00

Mirrors with compasses in them [from other cars] are $10.00 as well.

Light bulbs and the underthood thumbscrews/Sockets I keep in a "Donor" car until I buy some stuff that equals $30.00 or more and throw them on the counter with the "big" stuff. Cost? Free.

Think of this when someone wants to charge you 10-20 times the above price list. They may say it is nicer, but a little Windex followed by Armour is about all that is done to clean it up.

There are 3 suppliers to this forum on a regular basis. [i am not one of them, but do sell occaisionally, mostly on the Riv, forum] Two are retired from their professions and are reasonable, the other is not.

I do not know of a single major automotive database that started out error free (and that includes the one that got all of the GM billing cards from 1959 to 1985 for one division). Every one has started out with one or more people trying to accomplish something.

Barney, if you ever need any help, just let me know.

Guest Kingsley

Dave 89 - I heartily agree that any signatures made on the Discussion Forum which relate to the selling of parts are mis-placed and should be in the Buy/Sell section. I personally feel a bit whorerish when I do and my signature will be changed.

I have mixed emotions about the no parts selling things in our signatures..

Some people, such as Jim Finn, have a large quantity of parts, and can't list each part individually in the buy/sell forum. It's virtually impossible. I personally dont have a problem with Jim's signature..

I have several Reatta parts cars, and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

And I think Steve's would be fine if it said simply:

Anybody looking for a southern California car or hard to find corrosion free parts, feel free to contact me. If I don't have it I know where to get it.

Had his methods of contact, and a link to his eBay store. But claiming that he has the BEST headlight motor repair kit (while it may be true, I have never used his before) is pushing it.

Same sort of thing with Kingsley, who has offered to change his.. If he just includes his website, email, phone and his basic info (Kingsley Baker - '89 Coupe - '90 Coupe

BCA 42720 - Reatta Division Club 994), I think it's all good.

As for me, I don't have a huge inventory of parts, but I'm glad to offer my assistance to anyone who needs a part, or is looking for a car. Normally, I can find the part somewhere, or direct them elsewhere.

If anyone wants to constructively criticize my signature, then feel free.

I'm not trying to tick anyone, or make anyone mad, just adding MHO.

Guest ReattaFan1

I hope my signature isn't too much out of line. All I am requesting is help in staying afloat during a layoff hardship. Ive had so many people step forward and offer help with parts. And sent these items requesting nothing more than to continue to post these pictorial repair tutorials and keep them in mind for near future parts for repairs once I get back on track.

Thanks to:

Steve Scott (steveskyhawk) for the free headlamp repair kits. I found your eBay store and have saved you as a favorite seller.

Joseph Dalkranian (Richard D) for the cassette player belts and the Reatta lapel pin he gave back on Christmas.

Marck Barker (NCReatt) Today he went up and pulled Reatta Parts for me in

return on servicing his Reatta radio module. Thats Awesome!

Padgett for the great deal on the Wheels I bought off him. (He advanced me the rims, I still owe him on those) By the way Padgett, these are off a 1999-2004 Cadillac SLS, right? Is the backspacing dimensions ok on these wheels for the Reatta? I didnt think to ask until I saw the post Barney Eaton mentioned about the Riviera wheel upgrades on the Reatta.

Brian Warren (bwarren) for ordering me a nice center armrest from Jim Fin (Jim)

Dave Lemke (DAVES89) for the countless items he sent. Man! it was like Christmas when I got that huge package.

Dave, I'll get right on those tutorials I promised. I hope you like them.

Thanks everyone for your help. Gosh! I hope Im not leaving anyone out. If so I'll think of them later when I give a proper thanks in a new thread later on. Im hoping others see the value in the work I post on this forum.

Doug

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

I hope my signature isn't too much out of line. All I am requesting is help in staying afloat during a layoff hardship. Ive had so many people step forward and offer help with parts. And sent these items requesting nothing more than to continue to post these pictorial repair tutorials and keep them in mind for near future parts for repairs once I get back on track.

Thanks to:

Steve Scott (steveskyhawk) for the free headlamp repair kits. I found your eBay store and have saved you as a favorite seller.

Joseph Dalkranian (Richard D) for the cassette player belts and the Reatta lapel pin he gave back on Christmas.

Marck Barker (NCReatt) Today he went up and pulled Reatta Parts for me in

return on servicing his Reatta radio module. Thats Awesome!

Padgett for the great deal on the Wheels I bought off him. (He advanced me the rims, I still owe him on those) By the way Padgett, these are off a 1999-2004 Cadillac SLS, right? Is the backspacing dimensions ok on these wheels for the Reatta? I didnt think to ask until I saw the post Barney Eaton mentioned about the Riviera wheel upgrades on the Reatta.

Brian Warren (bwarren) for ordering me a nice center armrest from Jim Fin (Jim)

Dave Lemke (DAVES89) for the countless items he sent. Man! it was like Christmas when I got that huge package.

Dave, I'll get right on those tutorials I promised. I hope you like them.

Thanks everyone for your help. Gosh! I hope Im not leaving anyone out. If so I'll think of them later when I give a proper thanks in a new thread later on. Im hoping others see the value in the work I post on this forum.

Doug

The wheels will work. I have the same rim, only in chrome [i like bling] as does at least one other to this forum.

Regarding the signatures. The only reason Kingsley and Jim Finn started posting about parts in their signature was because Steve was doing it. My opinion is that if you are selling something for gain, get posted at the top of the forum page and respond in the buy/sell. [Ronnie you are in a "gray" area. You are offering a service and are not really selling anything for personal gain].

Doug, you are telling a compelling story. As I said in my post to you, you are not a "taker" You have offered solutions to some of the unaddressed issues that we as Reatta owners face. I and others are/were glad to help. And for the public record, I didn't give you those parts, I fronted them to you, as Padgett did. [My only regret is that I didn't send you a MAF sensor. I had it in my hand, then put it back].

Look, I am not the judge here. I am just staing my opinion, you do what you want.

But that is not the elephant in the room, it's the one guy coming here and 'dissing what others are trying to accomplish. He won't join anything, he offers no solutions, he runs down the quality of other suppliers products [bTW Steve there are no more NOS 1990 Reatta headlight switches. If you are selling them as used, yours are no better then anyone elses are. If you are sending them out to be rebuilt, then yours are no different then anyone else trained in electronics would have rebuilt].

The point is this, I was raised that if I didn't have anything good to say about someone then I shouldn't say anything at all. So I guess if that is followed, we will see Steve [and his signature] post maybe once a month.

And as I have broken my own rule, this will be the last comment from me on Steve and his attitude towards others.

I haven't heard from Barney yet, but it was rainy here yesterday. So I wrote a bit of code to read in a list of VINs and do some validation on them. For obvious reasons, the program is targeted towards 88-91 Reattas, but I also put in code for same year Rivieras. It is about 185 lines of (Fortran 2003) code so far. Still need to add some semantic checks - such as flagging 88-89 convertibles, or wrong engine for the year.

Learned a few things, like how to properly compute the check digit. (Some websites are correct, some have an error in their algorithm.) I pulled a few VINs from some used car ads. Found one Riviera with a bad VIN posted.

If the forum finds the links and photo in my signature line promoting my website ReattaOwner.com offensive I will be happy to remove it.

BTW, if anyone can figure out a way to make money from ReattaOwner.com please let me know. So far I've not been able to do it. :o

ronnie,

your signature line is NOT offensive to me. as a matter of fact it is helpful.

no need to change it, in my opinion!

gryfan

Southern Ontario Reatta Owners

Ronnie: agree yours is tasteful. As to the VIN I have done something similar with Excel scripts. Haven't used Fivetran (Fortran V added if-then-else) since my last VAX though Quick/Visual Basic is often useful.

Agree, would be simple to write a check program for the existing spreadsheet since there were so few differences in Reatta VINs. Maybe later.

Barney: Are you planning to keep the Excel format or use a database like MS-SQL Express (free for non-commercial use).

Ronnie,

I'm with gryfan, Kinsley and many others; all I ask is for you to keep up the excellent service you render to this forum. Thank you for all of your efforts.

Barney,

All I can say is consider the source of your provocation and keep on truckin'. I would like to thank you as well for your interest, insights, and assistance you have and continue to furnish this forum. You have been one of the basic building blocks of this Reatta Group and I am honored you have continued to support the true meaning of exchanging useful information.

Guest ReattaFan1
... And for the public record, I didn't give you those parts, I fronted them to you, as Padgett did. [My only regret is that I didn't send you a MAF sensor. I had it in my hand, then put it back].

Yeah, we did discus payment. But for what little cost it was on shipping and what you asked it was hardly anything. Most would consider it a steal. I thank you very much. No worries on the MAF. Once I get square with you on this Im sure Ill put in another order.

I have to wonder how this thread went from the data base update to the posting of parts on the forum. I don't have a problem with someone selling parts or posting it either. Just keep in mind that we need to keep it friendly. There is more good information than ever before on this forum and new members will use it to improve their cars. Make sure that the info that is out there is accurate, as our cars get older mis information can become a problem. The Reatta Resources at the top of the forum is very good as is other members offerings. Remember the AACA supplies us with this forum at no charge and a big THANK YOU is in order, I think the AACA is all about accuracy for every make of car and the Reatta is no exception. The data base is very important and if some one finds an error then see that if gets fixed. We all can benefit.

Let me take a minute to again say that if you are not a member of the BCA and the Reatta Division and or the AACA please consider it again this year. I think that we have one of the most active and lively groups on the AACA website and we are respected and we need to show respect to all posters

THINK SPRING AND KEEP CRUISING

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Boorteatta I think a lot us will think "Spring" when Spring is Sprung. Right now most of us are thinking shovel and snowblower/thrower; even some our southern brothers are getting a taste of cold and snow this year. :(

Edited by 88atta (see edit history)

Boorteatta I think a lot us will think "Spring" when Spring is Sprung. Right now most of us are thinking shovel and snowblower/thrower; even some our southern brothers are getting a taste of cold and snow this year. :(

Well daylight savings time starts March 13th. Then its spring and shouldn't be any more snow. Works for me and I wish it for you

Chuck Kerls

You put the top up ?

Well, actually driving withe the top down.. I store it with it down, but any driving I've done in it (a shake down drive a couple times since I bought it and such) has been with the top up.. Not all of us live in the sunny warm state of Florida padgett.. ;)

Here in the upper midwest we just hope that summer falls on a weekend...

However I chuckle to myself when people talk about the cold stopping them from working on their cars. Just three weeks ago I had to get a cornering light to use as a substitute on my daughters car until she got her replacement parts. She got a written warning on a broken light after she just had a fender bender.

Temperature outside? 0 degrees with wind chill -30. No hat, no gloves [my daughter had my car]. 30 minutes outside brushing snow off cars so I could see if I had found a car with matching pigtails, couldn't feel my fingers from about mid finger up. After I got the parts and then back inside I let my hands warm up gradually and fortunately no residual issues.

If we didn't have Jan/Feb winter it would be pretty tolerable up here.

Construction season can also be considered mosquito season.

-30 F wind chill...luxury...why don't you come north my friend. Actually, it isn't bad, but I was born and raised in central Saskatchewan...there is a certain element in having grown with it. We can hit around 100 in the summer, but that isn't typical...probably 70s - 80s, which can be nice. If anyone wants to experience it, I am putting together a tour for the Labo(u)r Day weekend. I am really just getting going on planning, but looking at hitting the Mennonite Heritage Village in Steinbach, as well as Lower Fort Garry and the Marine Museum of Manitoba north of Winnipeg. If anyone does come up and we can make the time, I can also show off my collection of toys and projects. I had done this in 2009 and my daughter Teresa had an article on it in the Bugle (January 2010). Early September is generally quite nice yet for temperatures, although it can be a bit cool if it is cloudy / windy. It would be an extremely unusual weather event to see snow that weekend.