57 Roadmaster - would this be rare?

Guest Real Steel Sharon

Guest Real Steel Sharon

Hi,

One for TG57Roadmaster! I found this today on ebay, and the only other Roadmaster I have seen with this back window setup would be the one belonging to TG57 Roadmaster. Is this a rare type? Why did only some Roadmasters come out with this back window treatment?

Looks like a good project!

Buick : Roadmaster - eBay (item 260726300117 end time Jan-27-11 16:15:18 PST)

CDhJ7QWkKGrHqRigE0G0M2QJNBNO3C23TbQ_12.jpg

CDhJfVgEWkKGrHqRjIE0GvHyyFwBNO3BPnFg_12.jpg

The ones with the one-piece rear window were introduced later, because of disparaging comments about the 3-piece rear windows, which some people claimed made the cars look old-fashioned. "Suddenly it's 1949!" was the snide comment.

I was looking at this one, too, as it is about 300 miles south of here near Houston, Texas. Appears to have its original paint; seat covers over the original upholstery which is ripped on top of back seat; nice rear bumper ends, but why is the rear bumper sagging on the left side? Says it is missing the starter, but one of those shouldn't be too hard to find.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Good question Sharon,

First, let me say I really like your avatar pic...it shows your car to a great (if tiny) advantage. Roadmasters for '57 debuted with five initial variants: 4-door Riviera Sedans Models 73 & 73A; 2-door Riviera Coupes Models 76R & 76A, and Roadmaster Convertible Coupe Model 76C.

Models 73, 76C and 76R featured the chrome strips running along the roof, down the backlight (with the single-piece back glass "sandwiched" in between the chrome strips), then down to the trunklift handles.

Models 73A (like Rob's) and 76A deleted the chrome roof and backlight treatment, but still featured chrome strips on the trunk, a carryover from the '56 design meant to mimic trunk straps from an earlier era.

When the Roadmaster 75 2 & 4-door models debuted in mid-March, 1957, they did away with the chrome strips completely, although some '57 75's were specially-ordered and equipped with the roof, glass and trunk chrome. (These are the rarest of all, and I've only seen a picture of one or two of them).

The 73, 73A, 76R and 76A roof treatments are mentioned in initial brochures as having one-piece and three-piece backlights, but in reality the glass is the same as, and interchanges with, Supers and Cadillacs (the other c-Body cars) model for model.

Here's a breakdown of production, easily-accessed thanks to Sean's post from a few days ago:

Model 73......11,401

Model 73A....10,506

Model 76C......4,363

Model 76R......3,826

Model 76A......2,812

Model 75......12,250

Model 75A......2,404

My Roadmaster Model 73 is just like the one in the ebay ad, and there about a dozen or so listed in my 2008 BCA Roster.

Pete, I'm glad you posted on the thread, because in your excellent '57 BCA BUGLE coverage, you got this info wrong. Look at a '57 brochure, and you'll see the small print stating that the Model 73A is available with a one-piece backlight; same with the Model 76A. The same info, presented differently, is in the "Let's Look at Buick" brochure.

You also said that Roadmasters 75's were available at the start of the of production year. The RM 75's were first reported in the March 18, 1957 Automotive News, in the same article that intro'd the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. They also were introduced in the Spring Issue of the BUICK Magazine, and the special Springtime in a Buick foldout.. I'll be happy to share these and the AN article with you, if you wish. The "Suddenly it's 1949" jibe had more to do with the Special & Century B-Body cars with their actual 3-piece backlights (also shared with all Oldsmobiles), than with the sleeker RM treatment.

Anyway, I hope this RM 73 finds a good home, as we all know, or are discovering,

what great automobiles the '57's are!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

SHARON, sharp eye. I can see that you're cut out for this particular forum sub-group - we are all about pointless Buick minutiae! I generally like the chrome roof trim better on dark painted cars, although it looks terrific on Tom's car. Camera angle has a lot to do with it, no doubt.

TOM, I had no idea that Roadmaster 75s sold so well - almost half as many as the "standard" model, during what was a pretty short production run. No wonder Buick was keen to use the interior design again in the upmarket Limiteds the next year. Did they keep building the 73 or 73A after the 75 went into production?

Who was it that first slagged the split-window B-bodies with, "Suddenly it's 1949"? Sounds like a Tom McCahill quip and he did kind of sideways mention it in his Roadmaster road test, although not in reference to the rear window.

There was quite a stir on the forum a while back, when the 1954 Buick Landau concept car found a new home with one of the regular correspondents. The attached photo is awful - the car is far more attractive than this. Got me to thinking - was that the immediate inspiration for the chrome trunk strips on the '56 Roadmaster?

post-59990-14313841983_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138419853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest Real Steel Sharon

"First, let me say I really like your avatar pic...it shows your car to a great (if tiny) advantage"

Thanks TG! Just for you, I have put a larger copy of the pic on the signature... This pic was taken by the lady we bought the car off in California - very posh "Graceland" type pic and very posed, but it certainly shows the car off! She was a dealer (which I don't have a problem with although in hindsight she was a bit dodgy) but I tracked down who she bought the car from who had had it for 20 years and got more history and more "honest" information on the car's condition rather than taking the seller's sales pitch to heart. Certainly paid off, with a touch of luck thrown in for good measure!!!

After we bought the car, I phoned the previous owner who had had the car for 20 years and filled him in on my story and told him that the car that he had loved and taken care of was going to a good home in Australia. He certainly sounded appreciative of the phone call, and told me to enjoy a great car in good health.

On another note, Rob - yes I am an avid collector of all information '57 Buick at the moment - can't get enough. Never know what little gold nugget of information may come in useful...

Rob, Buick was touting its "Dream Car Styling" for '57 (as was Mercury), so there's no doubt that

the Landau and other Motorama cars influenced those trunk "straps." The production '54 Skylark

used a similar styling element, though not picked out in chrome...

1954%20Buick-04.jpg

The RM 75 and 73 pics below are good examples of how the rear changes with and without

the "Tiara-Top." (My long-standing nickname for it).

57_75_slo_07_rrx_46690.jpg

Larger

57_rwb_show_2008_2x_12458.jpg

Larger

Sharon, thanks for adding the lovely profile pic to your signature; it's just so fluid, so fleet.

After all these years, I have yet to find a bad angle for these four-door flagships!

TG

FYI, the seller of the blue and white car that is near Houston and currently on ebay, (at the top of this string) answered my inquiry about the sagging rear bumper. He says the transport truck driver snagged it while it was being unloaded. So, at least it's not sagging due to a rusted bracket or frame, which is what was in the back of my mind. Other than the cracked windshield, that looks like a fairly easy car to restore.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7383

A fellow Buicktown club member is selling his spectacular '57 Roadmaster Riviera 76R. As listed above,a very low production model. He has it advertised in the current issue of Hemmings. He says that you can e-mail for pictures at scottsal33@comcast.net.

Guest Real Steel Sharon

Hi Ken,

Thank you!

Were you at the Yanchep Goodfellas Run a couple of months ago with your absolutely gorgeous 54 Roadmaster? I saw it driving past, and had to go and find it and have a close-up look after you parked - wow!

Sorry, I don't think it will be possible to join a club. We live two hours south of Perth, and with two little kids and our own business it would be very difficult to attend meetings etc.

My husband Ian and I are involved in the street rodding/kustom scene in Perth and go to as many events as we can with our tradestand "Real Steel Rods & Custom" selling car-related merchandise - hats, t-shirts, stickers, mexican blankets, garage signs, novelties etc. In fact, I think I met your lovely wife when she bought a Buick badge at Yanchep! I definitely remember asking a lady who was asking about Buick stuff if she was the owner of the beautiful 54.....

Guest Real Steel Sharon

Hi Ken,

The 55 Super 4 door Sedan is actually mine (have I spoken to you on the phone before about the diff in this car?)

The 55 is a great project car, no rust and complete except for the motor/gearbox and windscreen. It would be available for sale (asking $7000 ono) if you know of anyone who is interested, but all or nothing - will not part it out.

Its a great car, and the idea was to rebuild it as a car for me. Only problem is we are short on time and space and decided it would be better (and quicker!) to buy a car that was going - which lead us to the purchase of our new 57.

Not fussed if we don't sell the 55, it will just go into storage.

Guest Real Steel Sharon
I have posted a couple of pictures of my 57 Roadmaster 2 Door from back in the day. I believe these were taken in the mid 80's. I think I sold her for the Princely sum of $800.00!! Those were the days.

Hi qbansmokr,

I like your old Roadmaster. That colour scheme looks great.

Regarding selling it, I guess the only question is do you regret parting with it (and were you happy with the $$ at the time!), and have you moved on to other/better things?

Guest my3buicks

The rarest is the 75R 2 dr Riviera Cpe at 2,404 followed by the 76A 2 dr Riviera at 2,812 followed by the 76R 2 dr Riviera at 3,826. The Conv saw a production of 4,363. The 4 door cars are as follows: 73A @ 10,525 - 73 @ 11,401 and 75 @ 12,250

Guest Rob McDonald

KEITH, there is some distinction, then, in my owning the most rare (model 73A) of the least rare body style (4 door) Roadmaster for 1957. Gee, I feel special, maybe even Super. Hey, while you're in there, what was the most rare Buick that year (not counting the bare chassis' that got hearse-ified)?

Guest MARTINOS1

please check out my post for one for sale..started restoration and am involved deep....i have other projects that will bring in the money faster so i have to concentrate my moola on them...good price for all the work i already started on mine...

Guest Rob McDonald

Just 2 Century coupes? Wow. I could see those going to the crusher, without anyone having a clue how unique they were.

Hey, BUICKJIM, since you're doing your car over again anyway, what about building it into Century number 3? Of course, you'd have to find an original manual transmission and the super rare dog dish hub caps. Ha! and they say that Bugatti Royales are scarce...

Guest Rob McDonald

SERB, if only we had less of that bothersome trivia - like random serial numbers or our first telephone number - and more useful knowledge, we'd be an unstoppable species.

SERB, if only we had less of that bothersome trivia - like random serial numbers or our first telephone number - and more useful knowledge, we'd be an unstoppable species.

Moved to Manitoba in 1998...you wanna know my SK driver's license number, phone number in Saskatoon, U of S student number? Got them all...sigh.

Guest Rob McDonald

Awful, isn't it? My first driver's license number? 955501. You've got to agree though, it was a pretty cool number. Did I remember that client conference call on Thursday morning? Nope, too busy trying to recall my first license plate. EB-something,something-12.