Cutting Rubber Bar Stock?

msmazcol

Anyone have experience cutting rubber bar stock? The stock is 1 7/8" and has a 1/2" center hole. I will need to custom cut the length and want a clean straight cut. I have access to a drop band saw and own a miter saw with a carbide blade. The rubber is a harder compound not a open cell foam. Thought I would ask first.

Thank you

I have used rubber block or bars stock many times to make the bump stops on the springs and a other rubber components. I have cut them out on a band saw then finished them on a linishing belt. If they need more shaping use a course belt then finish off with a fine belt. The end result is excellent.

Thanks for the tips. I also was leaning toward the horizontal band saw and clamp the stock. Control the drop of the blade. The idea of freezing the part has been brought up before especially if it has to be drilled. I have extra stock coming so I can experiment a bit.

Any other input welcome.

Thanks

Guest Joe Kieliszek

Hello,

I used the bandsaw- belt sanding method for parting off the rubber stock.

I then chucked the segment in the lathe and gradually ran a sharp hole saw

through- halfway from each end for the desired ID. Works like a charm...

Thanks,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I've had terrific luck cutting rubber windshield moldings on a cut-off saw by inserting them into a piece of PVC pipe. This keeps the cut square for gluing.

2" PVC should work perfectly. I used an 80-tooth carbide and simply cut slowly. The hydraulic shop I use, uses an abrasive blade on a cut-off.

3400960398_large.jpg

Wrap the rubber with masking tape and cut on a band saw with a coarse blade. Back the rubber with a piece of wood as you push it through. This works good for moldings that need to be glued together since it gives the joint a nice tooth. Use super glue to join........Bob