1988 Reatta radio module connectors

edselsouth1

I've got down to the radio module on my 1988 Reatta, and can only find two electrical connectors on the top of the module. There are, however, four spaces for connectors. One connector (white) is plugged in, and three spaces are open. I am assuming that there are other connectors to the module. What color connectors, and the order/color of the wiring in the remaining connectors. The PO had removed all of the aftermarket audio that was installed, and there are a number of wires that are taped, etc. I'll attempt to post a pic of the existing mess, and get a couple more and better pics tomorow. Thanks, David

post-70231-143138313684_thumb.jpg

Guest Mc_Reatta

I made up a list of these connectors and what wires are in each one a while back. It is posted on Ronnie's site, reattaowner.com. The two 4 pin connectors that are not plugged in are for the speakers. The other unused connector is for aux input, cell phone option etc.

You can pick up the connectors at an auto stereo store, Walmart, ebay etc, and wire them back in if they aren't there anymore.

Padgett, Mc_Reatta, Thank you both. I did find the two connectors on the bottom, and they were plugged in. I'll look again on Ronnie's site for the connector wire post. I'll need to check for the blue connector, and see that all wires are in it. The speaker wires are probably the ones taped. I'll know tomorrow! David.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Problem is cell phone is a mono input.

You need to find a car that had a cd player or cell phone installed to get that aux cable.

Most folks just use the tape player input which goes to one of the bottom plugs on the radio module already as their aux input.

In either case, you need a tape player that will at least respond to the CRTC that there is a tape in the player ready to be played which will enable the play option on the CRT before either of the aux inputs will work.

You can make up an aux cable from the aftermarket combo plug (if you get the one with all 4 connectors not just the 3 for the radio) and an 3.5 mm mp3 connector cable if you are of the mind. That's how I made one for Dave a while back.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Here us what you need, best place I found to get is off ebay.

Gm Oem Reverse Radio Install Wiring Harness Male Plug - eBay (item 220675453486 end time Oct-27-10 14:00:38 PDT)

53203d1271092578-mp3-hook-up-89-gm-male-plug.jpg

Believe the section on the bottom plug on the right is the aux connector. The other 3 parts are for the standard radio connections. They don't supply wires and pins for the aux section, I cannibalized them from another connector.

Looked again at the wiring harness and connectors on the '88 today. It appears that all wires are hooked up properly except for the speaker wiring, both front and rear. The PO had just bundled them all together, and then got power from his radio unit. The connectors that the wires were to go in have been discarded. I believe I have to find the proper 4-pin connectors, wire the speakers in, and may be ready to go. Got to go to the salvage yard tomorrow. I'll update when I get the wiring repaired. Thanks to all for your information. David.

Here us what you need, best place I found to get is off ebay.

Gm Oem Reverse Radio Install Wiring Harness Male Plug - eBay (item 220675453486 end time Oct-27-10 14:00:38 PDT)

53203d1271092578-mp3-hook-up-89-gm-male-plug.jpg

Believe the section on the bottom plug on the right is the aux connector. The other 3 parts are for the standard radio connections. They don't supply wires and pins for the aux section, I cannibalized them from another connector.

First of all David, I apologise for highjacking this thread... :o

Mc, the eBay ad says it fits 90/91 reattas. I need it for an '89 I tried to follow the thread "MP3 Hook-up in an '89" but kept getting lost... perhaps someone could compose a cliffnotes version, for Ronnie's site?

Guest Mc_Reatta

NCReatta,

It will fit pretty much all delco radios from 86 to 96. The same one fits all Reattas.

What is it your trying to do?

This one will work too, but doesn't include the aux connector portion. This is what is stock in cars without the phone or cd player option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GM-88-02-MALE-OEM-FACTORY-WIRE-HARNESS-GWH343-GWH-343_W0QQitemZ110427363736QQcategoryZ32809QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.e17001.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D6%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5375134369187355004

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Oh, alright. I'm just trying to get an MP3 hookup in my '89.

So, if I buy the connector, and solder in a 1/8" connector, it'll all work right? Are there four wires coming from the bottom right plug? Will I need to re-wire my radio with the new plug? or can I just butcher the one from eBay? Sorry I'm so ignorant, I'm just rather clueless (obviously).

Guest Mc_Reatta

Does your tape player work sufficently to allow you to get to hit play? Otherwise neither aux input will work. (has to respond to the CRT and sense that a tape is installed ready to play)

Do you want to go through the tape player input (easier to get to) or leave the tape player alone and go through the aux input on the radio? (more work)

The proper connector to mate with mp3 players is a 3.5 mm not the 1/8 inch one they sell at the rat shack.

Yes, it does, I can put a tape in, and press play, and it'll start to play it, but it'll cycle in and out...

I would rather not have to take the seats out and finagle my hands in that tiny space to do it though the radio if possible. Is there a difference in sound quality between the two?

I have a spare tape deck that I pulled from a '89 Riviera if that would help. I don't think it works, but my original plan was to make one good one out of two bad ones... but this would be a better use I think.

Thanks for all the help.

Here is what I did. I took the inner plug out of the Riv. tape deck. [What is wrong with your tape deck is probably what is wrong with the Riv tape deck]. On that plug there are 3 wires in a shield and one is outside the shield. Of the wires in the shield one is your right side speakers and one is the left. The third is the ground wire which gets wired into the loose wire on that same plug lead. All this then gets you about 8" of lead to go into the 3.5mm plug that you buy from Radio Shack along with a 3' or so lead with 3.5mm male and female ends on them. This allows you to run the lead under the console out the cigarette tray and give you lead to work with in your lap.

The last part to this is that you take the tape deck bezel off, remove the tape deck. Leave the leads connected to the tape deck. Make the CRT play the tape deck, then turn off the tape deck, disconnect the lead that is the same as the one you just made. You then connect your new lead, put a cassette in [with the tape removed]. Engage the play button and you have music thru your MP3 player.

You can then put the cassette deck back in it's spot and put the bezel back on and you are finished.

I am sure that McReatta can help you with the wire colors or you can do it by trial and error. It is not hard to do and by doing it wrong you will not hurt anything, it just takes more time.

Wiring thru the phone plug is overrated. I only did it because I spent the money to have the tape player fixed. I only use the radio or the MP3 lead. The cassette deck is way too slow.

Or I will do it for $50.00 That will include both ends and shipping.

PM me if interested.

Edit notes. Please remember that I have to go to the yard to get a cassette deck, then Radio Shack for the MP3 lead. Solder everything up test it and send it. I really don't want to do it,but for $50.00 I will...

BTW Ronnie was there one in that stuff I sent you? I thought I had a ready made one laying around but now I can't seem to find it...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Got the connectors from the salvage yard today for the '88. Wired them in, and got sound, but only through the left rear speaker (good quality and volume). The other speakers do power up, but can barely hear them. All of the radio functions seem to work properly (through the controller) other than the 3 speakers. Moving the connections in the module sometimes helps, and sometimes not. Getting a great amount of static when moving the connections at the module. The pins in the module may have corroded to the point of no return. Looks like I may need a module to replace this one? David.

• 1 month later...

Bumping back to the MP3 hook-up question (Sorry edselsouth1 for hijacking the thread. :o )

I have a 3.5mm cord that I removed from a nice set of headphones that got stepped on at my church (teach you no to just push things off the desk! :rolleyes: ). It has 4 wires. 1 left, 1 right, and 2 grounds. Getting ready to attempt to put this thing together tomorrow. Mc_reatta, do you know what color wires go to which channels? Is it nessicary to solder it together (don't have a soldering tool handy)? or can I just twist them together, and use electical tape?

Thanks again,

Guest Mc_Reatta

Do you have a DVM to cross check the plug sectors to the individual wires?

Typically the right channel hot wire is red, the left white or yellow, the grounds are black and brown. But they could have used any color they wanted to.

In your case you will tie the two grounds together as there is only a common ground in the radio module inputs.

They are very thin wires, really should solder. Doubt there is a crimp connector small enough for them. I have seen small wire nuts that might work. You can twist together, but without some type of mechanical means of holding them tight, it will eventually give you problems.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Pin out for the 3.5mm plug is:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69482&stc=1&d=1289581576

Use your DVM to check which color wire goes to each section of the plug.

Normally right channel is red and left channel is white. Other colored wire or shield wire will then be ground.

post-55241-143138350689_thumb.png

Ok, came really close to getting everything to work... BUT (I hate buts) Now my stereo has so much static, I can't hardly hear anything. it has static when the tape is playing and when the radio is on. I change the balance, and nothing changes with the static. volume doesn't either. It's good for the first 8 seconds when I first turn it on, but then it gets really bad.

Did I completely kill something? :(

I hate it when things don't go like they're supposed to....

That is certainly a good opinion. I would also like to offer mine.

I go to a pick and pull. I pay maybe $10.00 for one and 10 minutes to pull it. Reinstall is another 10 minutes. The radio I get should last 5 to 10 years. I don't think I will have either car that long. [both are very nice daily drivers but one has 180k the other 220k].

That $140.00 difference can be used buying other needed parts or building an inventory of back up parts to keep your car running.

This is what Mike said....

first, about the radio. it gets really difficult to get that radio from cars other than Reattas, as you don't know which model radio the junk car has. the cooling fins have to be long like your radio module has, NOT the spikey ones that the non-equalizer radio has. also be sure the car does not have a Bose radio, as the Bose radio has no amplifier. Bose puts an amplifier at each speaker, not in the radio..

On top of that, I've been having trouble getting into u-pull-it yards since I'm so young. Most won't let me in until i'm 16, and then I have to have an adult accompany me. It makes it difficult. :(

Nope.. Is that what I need to do? is that hard to do? Where can I get the capacitors?

Thanks for all the help you guys.

The link below will answer your questions about how difficult it is to replace capacitors. It is not too bad if you take your time and understand what you need to do before you start. IF you are going to junk your old radio unit it wouldn't hurt to try your hand at doing the repair. I got the capacitors at a local TV shop. They were not expensive at all but I can't remember the exact price.

Radio Capacitor Replacement Instructions*-*ReattaOwner.com