brake issue

Guest Rockin Reatta

Guest Rockin Reatta

I am buying a 1990 reatta coupe. It has brake issues, I have been reading everything I can online and especially here, on this forum. I have used the brake test as seems to be the first steps. Here are my results. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

#1-yellow light 1, red light 10

#2-pressure on pedal never seems to change

#3-3 secs for red, 2 for yellow

#4- 3 secs, motor stops as soon as the lights go off

#5-as soon as you touch the pedal the motor runs, and stays running for about 2-3 secs after you let off pedal

#6-fluid level does not change, but if ignition on and hold down pedal, pedal slowly sinks and the fluid level drops. when key is then turned off fluid comes back up(with pedal pump)

#7- very weak. but it is there

I'm thinking bad pressure switch, accumulater, and maybe pump/motor. Am I close?

Thanks very much for your time.

Edited by Rockin Reatta (see edit history)

Guest Rockin Reatta

I believe there is some boost, because I took it to a local mechanic and he had me pump the brakes while he was trying to bleed the back brakes, ( he doesnt know anything about the system on this car, and at the time I didnt either) the pedal did feel very hard at that time.

Also thanks for the reply.

Edited by Rockin Reatta (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Rear brakes are power bled with ignition on and red light off, fluid will flow out the bleader screw without touching the pedal from the pressure in the system.

You need to pump the pedal only to bleed the front brakes.

Guest Rockin Reatta

Yes, I know that now( I have since read all the post and followed all the links you guys put in other posts)....but when I had it checked out, I didn't. All I knew at that time was that I wanted this car. I wanted one every since I saw one back in the early 90's.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Somebody should have sent you to the doc a long time ago to get a triple shot of the Anti-Reatta vaccine.

'Fraid its to late now and there is no known cure.:rolleyes:

It sounds like you have a completely dead accumulator. There could be other problems but without a working accumulator it is next to impossible to diagnose the other problems.

Worse case..... a rebuilt unit that bolts on the firewall is about $600 exchange.

Guest Rockin Reatta

the prices I found for the whole unit is $800.00-$1100.00, can you please let me know where to pick up a good one for around the $600.00?

I appreciate all the help and comments so far, thanks

OTOH having a complete set of spares is not bad. Had myGenie Excellerator from the last century fry. Genie help offered a pair of control boards for $138. Went to HD and bought a 2010 model for $209 complete with two remotes and a wireless wall unit. Had to replace the power head and the two STB units but working fine now and have lots of spare pieces which interchange with the other two Genies I have.

I am buying a 1990 reatta coupe. It has brake issues, I have been reading everything I can online and especially here, on this forum. I have used the brake test as seems to be the first steps. Here are my results. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

#1-yellow light 1, red light 10

#2-pressure on pedal never seems to change

#3-3 secs for red, 2 for yellow

#4- 3 secs, motor stops as soon as the lights go off

#5-as soon as you touch the pedal the motor runs, and stays running for about 2-3 secs after you let off pedal

#6-fluid level does not change, but if ignition on and hold down pedal, pedal slowly sinks and the fluid level drops. when key is then turned off fluid comes back up(with pedal pump)

#7- very weak. but it is there

I'm thinking bad pressure switch, accumulater, and maybe pump/motor. Am I close?

Thanks very much for your time.

Now that you have the car and a few issues it would be a good time to join the BCA and the Reatta Division. We are the fastest growing Division in the BCA and all Reatta owners are welcome

THanks

Chuck Kerls

Thanks Barney. I have added SIA to the vendor list on ReattaOwner.com.

I noticed this on their website:

SIA offers flash reprogramming on late model ecm’s and offers a rebuild & return program for all product lines in which we do not stock. Send us your original unit and we will rebuild and return it in 24 to 48 hours.
Could this be a source for getting our PROMs reprogrammed to turn on fans at a lower temp.?

Think he is buying the set from Dave which I suspect is a good deal & even better if the accumulator is any good.

BTW the hard part for me these days is not the reprogrmming, it is finding PROMs that will accept reprogramming. Might ask if they have new 27C256s.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest Rockin Reatta

Thanks for all the help. As soon as I receive the parts from Dave I'll install them and see were I'm at and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys.

Thanks Barney. I have added SIA to the vendor list on ReattaOwner.com.

I noticed this on their website:Could this be a source for getting our PROMs reprogrammed to turn on fans at a lower temp.?

I just wish one of you electronics wizards would just develop a switch to turn the fans on high when the A/C is on. Something plug and play for us mere simpletons...

I only use the a/c a small part of the year.

All I know is that 5-8 years ago I was getting near 100% good reprogrammed original PROMS. Now about 1 in 3 verifies after erasing/programming. Two different programmers. I suspect age is a factor.

New PROMs are available (even have some) just takes a while for someone good at soldering to replace one (28 soldered pins) & haven't got a round tuit. Too many projects.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rockin Reatta

I have received and installed the brake parts I got from Dave and the brakes are working great. Thanks alot Daves89!

Good for you. Now is the time to consider building a bit of an inventory on parts to get you back on the road faster when parts fail.

Such as;

IPC, CRT [if you have an '88/89], Climate control module [if you have a 90/91], blower control module, extra head light switch [if you have a 90/91], coil pack/ICM, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Accumulator, pressure switch, various relays, light bulbs, and fuses.

If you are a little crazier like me you can stock even more.

Such as;

Rear tailight and wiring harness, EBCM, wheel sensors, rotors, BCM,ECM, steering column, complete Teves unit, cassette deck, shifter/dash panels, wiper/window switch, seat switches, CRTC, inverters,head lights, head light and wiper pods, head light motor, oxygen sensor, glove box/cubby latches, pass thru latch, shifter knob, door pull handle trim pieces, inner door wiring harness's, inside and outside mirrors, radio antenna.

Looking over this list I guess I am crazy. But then again I am trying to keep two cars running. [And I don't want to steal parts from one to keep the other running].

That's not crazy. Crazy is the two Pontiac 400s, and one 421 in the garage. I have & only one car left that uses & it already has a good engine. Of course I have a friend who has cornered the market on Pontiac OHC-6s.

"Enough" is when you don't know how many you have...