Piston question

buick5563

While I was disassembling my engine today, I broke part of the skirt of one of the pistons. After cussing and placing full blame on the garage manager ( :D ) I located an NOS piston. It is for the earlier engine (matching serial numbers from my parts book). My question is this: is it better to try this one (the NOS), or a replacement from Egge? I would like to spend my money on better things than a full piston set... Or am I hosed and need to bite the bullet on the full set? I still need to take it to the machine shop for cleaning, measuring, honing etc, so I may need oversize pistons anyway.

Thanks,

(and per private messages and other conversations, I DO indeed like pie)

(and beer)

(etc.)

Mike, Three of my Buick engines had pistons with broken skirts when I tore them down. My opinion is that they were a weak design or material choice. Personally I would not reuse the original pistons. If I did I would dye check everyone of them for micro cracking. Might as well spring for a new set.................Bob

Be SURE to check the compression height of the replacement pistons vs what's in there now. Seems like I recall Willie commenting on that a while back.

The other issue with pistons is "weight". Replacement pistons seldom have the same weight as the OEM pistons do. OEM's were supposed to weight the same through about .030+, but the replacement brands were all different for the same application.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

(what kind of pie? what brand of beer?)

Gee whiz guys, now it's not just Willie spending MY money, y'all just gotta pile on!

I've heard the 56 pistons were taller and wouldn't fit 55 heads.

I will most likely "bite the bullet". I just wanted to do the engine portion of this show on the cheap since it is a low mileage car.

Pecan, a la mode. Peach cobbler will do, as will a good ice box pie. Pizza pie is good with a cold Shiner Bock. Or Amstel Light if it is a deep dish, ya know, the metabolism has slowed as has my desire to go on 100 mile bike rides in this heat. Spandex is hot. ;)

You're getting off lucky Mike...they usually have me buy an entire car.

I occasionally make pecan pie. We generally make a cherry pie or two in the summer from the semi-sweet cherry tree in our yard. Y'all don't seem to have them south of the border (although that doesn't make sense to me), but Saskatoon berries are fantastic and make the best pies - there's a couple Minnesotans who are on here who were up a year ago and were force-fed some if'n you don't believe me ;):D

For those who do not remember, in the mid seventys it was the thing all the college students were doing.... To keep it automotive there's a local garage desturbance...

:) ... :o... :D Dandy Dave!

Back on topic:

I got the rest of the engine broken down last night so I could take it to the machine shop today. It's amazing how fast you can get the rest of the pistons out if you have already broken ONE. Some ring damage occured with the BFH approach. :o

Like I said, they need to measure the bore before I order parts anyway. Pistons WILL be purchased.

Back off topic, yes I do own several padded (diaper-like) spandex cycling bibs. Anybody can rebuild an engine, it takes a real man to water plants in his front yard immediately after a long bike ride while still in full bike gear.

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

It takes a real man to water plants in his front yard immediately after a long bike ride while still in full bike gear.

You sir are an idiot. Mrs Buick 5563 is totally embarrased when you do that. Think of the neighborhood! Have some respect. If you aren't ON YOUR BIKE, you shouldn't be wearing that silly get up!!!

When shopping for pistons and engine parts you may want to check out Terrill Machine's prices. I used their pistons etc for my Buicks and Olds. Prices are way less than Egge's/Kanters. The pistons I got from them looked good and dimensionaly checked out spot on. .............Bob

That is a sign of a well-rounded, brilliant mind. One that looks deep into his own soul and knows what is correct.

\

Somebody PLEASE tell this Knucklehead to SHUT. UP.

Don't you need to get greasy in the garage or something?

Do something with that brilliant mind of yours, Einstein.

When shopping for pistons and engine parts you may want to check out Terrill Machine's prices. I used their pistons etc for my Buicks and Olds. Prices are way less than Egge's/Kanters. The pistons I got from them looked good and dimensionaly checked out spot on. .............Bob

I've used them in the past. Good call. Thanks, Bob

Hey Mike...I spent about 2 years at home with little ones...toddler / diaper age to boot. There did come a point where the asylum was looking like a good place to book myself into (not like that has necessarily changed mind you). The funny part is not knowing which of your personalities is going to hit the keyboard next....

Might we be observing the 5563 "right brain" and the "left brain" conversing??? If you're watering the plants in "full bike gear", that would also mean those plastic-spiked shoes making "horse-hooves-sounds" when you walk in them (not going to mention that guys I've seen walk in them do walk funny, plus that funky sound). Just the right time of the year for midnight bike rides . . . when the neighbors aren't looking.

A good thing about Terrill is that you can trek up there to get the pistons yourself, Mike. Their website indicates a 1909 Buick Toy Tonneau in their museum.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest wildcat465
Back off topic, yes I do own several padded (diaper-like) spandex cycling bibs. Anybody can rebuild an engine, it takes a real man to water plants in his front yard immediately after a long bike ride while still in full bike gear.

Um Mike. Or, um, the other Mike. I hope there is a garden hose involved with this project. Or maybe we have zeroed in on the neighbor problem.

Ooohhh! That'd drop property values, wouldn't it?

I did take the engine in to the machine shop today. The tech thought it needed boring, so I told him about this thread (badump-bump-crash-rimshot).

Upon telling Mrs. Buick5563 about me relaying the front yard watering incident over the world-wide interwebs, she said she regretted getting me the iPad for my birthday and told me to get a life. Soon I will be installing clean parts, that should do it, right?

Hey Mike, Try mowing your lawn in a Speedo and to keep property taxes down. ;) And nevermind what the neighbors think. :D Dandy Dave!

I kid you not about this next anecdote:

There is a guy who rides a bike around Austin in a thong and Chuck Taylors. He fought the City Council to earn the right to do so, claiming he is not naked. The first time I saw him I almost wrecked the car. (No, he didn't cause my recent car wreck that totalled my truck and trailer).

In other words, the neighborhood, NAY the city has already been overrun by worse things than me in spandex.

"Keep Austin Weird"

The main reason I wanted to reuse my old pistons was to show newbies and other folks that an engine rebuild could be done for under the $2500-$3k that I spent on the last rebuild of a nailhead. Well THAT is out the window! My credit card is scaldingly hot right now. Oh, well...

Yeah...Paul's got it right...the little boys PISTON the plants to water them.

my point exactly ;) (recheck my link)