My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Bernie,

The dome light for your 222 Coupe is shown on page 219 of the Parts List book. I have tried scanning a copy but its not very clear, it appears to be a large round ornate light. On the same page there is a picture of the later model rectangular shaped dome light for the later models, I have one of those if its any use to you.

Davidpost-59973-143139255515_thumb.jpg

Today those tiny steps are becoming "leaps & bounds" Tony has made a start on the door trims! My task for today was to approve the prototype flap for the door pockets. While I appreciate that Mr Packard only seems to have rather plain flaps on his door pockets in 1923 I rather like this treatment that Tony has come up with. Ignore the triangular lines they are not part of the finished flap. Just the rather understated letter "P". This is taken from an original script although possibly from the 1930s. Personally I think that it will be discreet enough not to offend even the purest Packard purist...

post-51681-143139259119_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

With the aid of David McC's page out of the Parts list I can identify my interior light switch as Part Number 127388. The switch itself is marked Diamond H Switch, patent applied April 8 1913. This will go nicely with David's rectangular Dome light, Part number 132606. While I am not a total originality freak it is nice to know that I am using genuine Packard equipment as originally fitted to the 126 Single Six. As the old song goes "Little things mean a lot".

post-51681-143139262927_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Hello David

Your light arrived safely in this afternoons mail thank you very much.I am absolutely delighted with it! With some careful surgery and a little solder I should be able to marry your rim and glass to my base. I am going to visit my son Steve tomorrow and will take all the necessary bits with me. Steve is also going to do a small turning job on the moto-meter for me, reducing the diameter of the head of raised head countersunk screws that secure the wreath / beveled edge glass. A small but important (to me) detail.

post-51681-143139263808_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

post-51681-143139263795_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139263804_thumb.jpg

Hello

I have worked out how to connect David's top to my existing (round) base so hopefully the next time you will see this light will be with it installed in the Packard. I spent some time yesterday afternoon with Tony working out the shape and profile for the top (hood to Aussies) so things are moving rapidly.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

My day out in the Yarra Valley visiting my son Steve was a day well spent. We managed to sort out the interior light so that it is ready for me to install tomorrow, The Moto-meter is ready to fit onto the radiator cap and the horn switch now has it's handsome black (pot lid knob) button and ready to advance one step closer to being fitted. An unexpected bonus was the brass body ID plate that belongs under the carpet on the passenger side that Steve has managed to engrave on his little cnc jewellery mill. Another of those little things that all add up.

Keep on keeping on"

Bj.post-51681-143139265049_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139265001_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313926503_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139265039_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul

Welcome to my thread. So that you are not wasting the day I have some new photographs with my friend and master "Trimmer" Tony McConnell at work on the top. You could be forgiven for saying "Top job". You can see more of Tony's work on www.classicandsports.com.au.

Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-143139266749_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139266719_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139266727_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139266736_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139266742_thumb.jpg

Bernie, your resourcefulness in finding methods and materials to replace unobtainable original parts continues to amaze me! Your thread is one of the few that I look at every day. Thanks for continuing to share your restorations with us.

I really cannot claim all the credit for the Horn button. Charles H Brown, an Architect and Twin Six owner living in Hong Kong, very kindly sent me a pack containing two different sized "Pot Lid" knobs. He had found with some minor machining these made an ideal replacement for the early 1920s Packard horn buttons. Another amazing example of the kindness and friendly bond between enthusiasts and in particular AACA members all around the world! If you are wondering Charles, I have used the smaller of the two and have carefully stored away the other in case of emergencies.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-143139266783_thumb.jpg

First time I've ventured into the Packard portion of the forum and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of the work over here. I'm sure you've already found out anything I could suggest, but I do own a Dyke's Auto Encyclopedia with some Packard info in it... if there's still specs or anything you need, no guarantees, but I could see what I have. Excellent job here.

Hi Les

I did get your reply thank you, with you in central Canada and me in south eastern Australia you have to allow quite a time difference. I am writing this at 7.30 a.m. local Eastern Australian Summer Time. Start of another great day.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

I know my book doesn't do anything to clear up your wheel conundrum. It lists 1917 to 21 as having Firestone 34x 4 1/2 rims(wood), the 1921 "6" as having a 32x4 Kelseys(steel). On the subject of disc wheels it doesn't give any sizes, only installed on all 1924 -26's.

Hello again Les

I am afraid that my wheels are something that are destined to remain a mystery. After two and a half years of looking behind bushes and turning over stones, I have been unable to identify either the person who sold the car and shipped it out of America or the one who bought it and imported it into Australia, only to walk away and leave it on the docks as unclaimed cargo all those years ago (In the 1950s).

Some how I believe that only one or the other of those two would be able to provide the answer. Possibly not even them.

The 1917 to 21 that your book refers to would be Twin Sixes. Looking at archive photographs of the then new 21/2 Single sixes with the optional Disc wheels were fixed discs with detachable rims, the 1923 and later Sixes had the five bolt disc wheels with lock rims the same as the first series Eights. These are the wheels fitted to my car and while not documented anywhere I suspect that all 1923 Single Sixes fitted with disc wheels had 23 inch. This is a very narrow 'window' as 1923 cars were two (rear wheel only) brakes while 1924 and all subsequent Packard cars had front brakes as did all the "eights". The brakeless five lug front hubs would have been used for just one year, even then only on the "Sport" (low radiator) and when specified by the original buyer as an optional fitting.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Continuing on from the above.

One can only ask how many of the 1923 (Packard) cars were sold with the Doctor's Coupe (222) body AND the optional disc wheels?

Unfortunately a question that I doubt will ever be answered. But surely making my car extremely rare even before the roof was cut off in the 1950s. I have only ever seen the photograph of one other. Today it is the only 1923 126 Single Six convertible (coupe) victoria to exist. How the Packard purists look at it I don't know.

Do they hate me for not restoring the car back to an original Doctors coupe?

Or do I gain even a little acceptance for at least making an attempt to save the car from its original 1950s destiny, to be broken up for spares?

To my mind the original seating arrangement made the car impractical (today) for anything other than show or museum purposes.

What would have you done?

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Thank you Pat

Among all those who look in on this thread you probably have the best idea of what it is like to rescue a car that has long since been given up for dead by others.

I can understand those who become impatient with my slow step by step approach but todays post is another small step. The first trial fit of the top (hood) fabric. I for one am delighted with the progress that Tony is making.

post-51681-143139269948_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-143139269936_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139269942_thumb.jpg

It would be a hard heart that condemned you for rescuing this car Bernie. If you had cut the roof off personally it might be a different story but you took an already altered car and improved it. You are quite correct I think in saying that the original configuration is suitable only for a display piece. For what it is worth, I would have done exactly as you have.

Oh you're still a waaay closer to the original configuration than anything I would have attempted... and much prettier. Might have ended up a speedster with a 50's six cylinder and juice brakes if I'd taken it on.... or worse yet, still sitting in my pasture waiting for me to get to work on it like most of my projects. I don't think you should worry about what others think. From the vast majority of the posts I've read here, most people are admiring your work, not criticizing it, myself included.

Hi Les

I am by far my own sternest critic. Today being Saturday lunchtime in Eastern Australia not so much has been achieved but progress is steady one job at a time. the next task is the side screens but no photographs yet.

post-51681-143139271328_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

post-51681-143139271306_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139271314_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313927132_thumb.jpg

A typical Sunday drive?

About 230 miles at an overall average speed of 35 mph over some of the best and the worst roads I have driven on in recent memory. Add some really tricky navigation and you have our day out in the 78 year old Lagonda. We left home at about 8.30 am and returned just after 7.00 pm. All in all a great days motoring together with a small but select group of fellow Vintage enthusiasts.

Tony is busy working on the side screens today, so by the end of this week he should be nearing the end. Hopefully some more photographs to-morrow........

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj..

I know someone who wanted a Single 6 town car, but was unable to find one. He built one up from a roadster front section and the rear section of a sedan. The entire car was just bits and pieces he found at swap meets, including all the mechanical stuff. It is an impressive looking car. I'll see if I can find a picture and post it.

Terry

Hi Terry

Welcome to my thread.It would be interesting to see your friends car.

My problem is that my car is totally original down to the timber body frame, as are virtually all the panels and it has matching numbers for all the mechanical components, it is just that some unknown person hacked the roof off and ripped out all the interior including the seats some time in the 1950s. My prime concern is that for judging purposes it may either be considered in-eliglble or be excessively penalised as un-original and be de-valued accordingly. My aim in restoring the car was to achieve a standard as near as possible to how it would look as a special order car leaving the factory in 1923. Certainly as a "convertible victoria" it is unique but as Roger suggests, it is something that could have been done in the 1920s or 30s.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

Hi Bernie

This is the car. It was built entirely from pieces. He was fortunate to be able to find a long wheelbase chassis, then found a roadster body for the front section and a sedan body for the rear. Engine, transmission, etc., all came from different places.

Members' Cars 1916 - 1929

Members' Cars 1916 - 1929

Terry

My prime concern is that for judging purposes it may either be considered in-eliglble or be excessively penalised as un-original and be de-valued accordingly. My aim in restoring the car was to achieve a standard as near as possible to how it would look as a special order car leaving the factory in 1923.

Would someone with car show/judging experience comment please....

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj