My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Hi David

Many thanks I look forward to receiving them along with the "mystery message".

I called over to see how Tony was progressing with the seats. I forgot to take my camera but rest assured they are going to look "super". He really is a master craftsman. He has just finished a pair of Ford GT40 seats but I sure know which I prefer. My seats may not look "tough" but they sure are going to look (and be) comfortable. All those chrome eyelets do nothing for me!

Bj.

All those chrome eyelets do nothing for me!

Bj.

Thinking about it I guess not everybody reading this is familiar with Ford's GT40. I hope that I have not confused too many people or that I am going to offend too many others... but once you see a GT40 seat you will never forget it. I cannot think what the attraction is but my guess is that GT40 owners by and large possibly tend towards having some "different" ideas / preferences about all sorts of things?

Bj.

Thinking about it I guess not everybody reading this is familiar with Ford's GT40. I hope that I have not confused too many people or that I am going to offend too many others... but once you see a GT40 seat you will never forget it. I cannot think what the attraction is but my guess is that GT40 owners by and large possibly tend towards having some "different" ideas / preferences about all sorts of things?

Bj.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I remember when I was 14 years old and visiting the Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum. Our school class went for the historical content. We were crossing the covered bridge on the site when I heard a very loud array of powerful machines race by on the other side of the wavy brick wall near the bridge. I jumped up on the stone bridge support and looked over the wall to see the Ford Motor Company proving grounds race track. The noise was coming from three brand new white Ford GT40s with blue stripes running up the middle. I was mesmerized! They were gorgeous, powerful, sleek and very fast as they made a blur when passing. I have loved that car ever since. The new ones aren't bad, either.

post-37352-143139160893_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139160912_thumb.jpg

Bernie, Still following along and enjoying every post. Those seats will look right at home as they appear to have the same level of quality that one would expect to find in that Packard you've assembled, I wouldn't expect anything less. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the car come together and hear of your first trip around the block. Scott...

Hello Pat Ben Scott and Ian

I have not been ignoring your kind comments thank you all for your interest. It is just that I have been rather occupied with both the Packard and other things. I will be back with some more progress photographs just soon as I can.

Bernie J.

I now have the seats at home and after a couple of minor adjustments they are trial fitted in the car. I still have to glue the carpet trim around the bases and complete one or two other minor tasks and there will be another box with a tick. There is always a small shadow of doubt when making seats from scratch, so I am really pleased with the result.

Bjpost-51681-143139168813_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Hi All

No Packard activity over the last two or three days. We have been away in the 1934 Lagonda Rapier over Saturday & Sunday. 400 Very competitive road miles mainly through narrow back roads through the hill country north west of Melbourne with the over night stop at Ararat.

Bernie J.

Hi-ya-all,

Sorry about that minor diversion. Back to work on the Packard again, I have decided that the garden gnomes really need a couple of cushions to sit on. Having bought the required piece of heavy weight upholstery velour, naturally of an appropriate beige colour, I am now busy remembering how to make cushions with piped edges.Using Helen's domestic Singer sewing machine, four thickness of this cloth only just squeeze under the foot! I only hope that the gnomes appreciate all the effort I am putting in on their behalf. Photographs to come on completion of the task.

Bj

Hello all,

I am not sure what "Alicemac's" message is all about, he,she or it seem to be promoting a non related website. Five posts scattered across the forum within an hour is going some even for a new junior member. Co-incidentally they all show a link to the same (Indian?) website

Bj.

I am not sure what "Alicemac's" message is all about, he,she or it seem to be promoting a non related website. Five posts scattered across the forum within an hour is going some even for a new junior member. Co-incidentally they all show a link to the same (Indian?) website.
Don't wory: this is the problem forums are faced. When one of the forum's administrator will be awake, this will be probably removed.

Another spammer. NEVER click these links: you never now where it may go or what it does to your computer

Use the red triangle on the left to RBP report bad post. I have reported

Moderators do a good job deleting these

At last, back to work! I have had a very productive day designing, fabricating and installing the front seat anchors. While perhaps not as convenient as modern seat runners, my anchors give infinite seat adjustment. to achieve this involves loosening two 5/16 UNF nuts (1/2 AF spanner) and retightening them once the desired seating position is reached. This may be further simplified if I can locate some 5/16 UNF wing nuts. Preferably either brass or stainless.

Bj

As promised earlier attached are two photographs of the rear parcel shelf/garden gnome seat cushions. To give you some idea of size, the shelf (and cushions) is 12 inches from front to rear. and the full width of the rear compartment. The off-cut material (heavy duty upholstery velour)has now been sewn up into wind lacing for the door opening. I now have to wait patiently until November 1st when Tony will have returned from European holiday and will complete the rest of the interior trim, the top and side screens.

post-51681-143139180821_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139180812_thumb.jpg

Back to basics today, having unearthed the original interior light switch in a box of small obscure parts I have spent this afternoon taking it apart, cleaning the contacts & cut the rectangular hole in the trim panel beside the passenger door, next job will be to find a suitable interior lamp and run the wires. Time flies when you are having fun!

Bj.

Continuing on from yesterday running the wires has become something else. This has involved discovering a new Yoga position kneeling inside the minuscule luggage trunk in order to access the junction box that also feeds the interior light in the trunk. The other trick is getting out again. More of the same fun tomorrow. You do not have to be mad but it sure helps!

Bj

Hi All

Those who have been also following my various posts on the other Packard specific Forum sites will know that I have been trying to establish the actual build (completion) date for my car. It had been suggested that the date on the bottom of the oil pan may have some relevance. This it turns out is the casting date for the pan. 3-5-23. This sent me in search of other casting dates. I now know that the crankcase was cast on 3-9-23 while the cylinder block is 3-26-23. All this tells me that the major components of the engine were all cast in March of 1923. The question is what was the typical delay between casting - machining - assembly - fitting into the chassis - construction of the body etc etc leading to the completion of the car. My guess is anything between to six to nine months. Suggesting that my car actually did not leave the factory until the later part of 1923. Has anyone got more accurate information?

What all this is leading to is the supposition that given the completion date of my car was sometime in the later half of 1923 it would be quite conceivable that it was delivered fitted with the same 23 inch, 5 lug, disc wheels that were fitted to the first of the eight cylinder cars which were first released in the second half of 1923 although dated officially as 1924 Models.

Bj

post-51681-143139193205_thumb.jpg

Thank you Roger

Unfortunately that only tells me that the Disc wheels were an option that the standard wood spoke wheels were 24 inch. It also tells us that the first of the eights had 25 inch disc wheels. This shoots my theory about the 23 inch wheels down in flames. So where do my five lug 23 inch disc wheels fit in?

Does anyone out there have a Packard with the same five lug 23 inch wheels. When did the Single Six change to six lug wheels? Checking out the period photographs on Packard Info it seems that the change to six lugs took place during the second half of 1925. Roger, perhaps your book will tell us what size wheels the 1924 Single six used?

Bj.

I have just discovered the answer, 1924 (Introduced on 12-27-23) Single Sixes used the same 24 inch wood spoke wheels. Tyre size increased from 33 X 4.5 to 33 x 5. Disc's were still an "option". Front brakes were standard.

Rather than sitting wondering, I have just been out and bought two lengths (2 x 4 metres) of 13mm X 3mm steel strip so I can make a start on the frames for the side screens.

Bj.