My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Hello again

At last I have been able to make some progress in cutting out/up the windscreen frame. Next step will be to silver solder up the corners, drill and tap the holes for the fixing screws that secure the top frame to piano hinge that attaches it to the header rail and the ones that link the header to the windscreen pillars, then hopefully & finally another trip to the platers.

post-51681-143138959594_thumb.jpg

At last I have found a local source for the parts I need for the Lagonda Gearbox so it should be all back together again by early next week. Then I can get back to finishing the Packard windscreen frame.

Bernie J

Sorry about my prolonged absence. People suffering from withdrawal symptoms can get a quick fix by visiting my Lagonda Rapier thread under British Cars.

I can assure you my failure to be doing any work on the Packard is far from intentional!

Bernie J.

Today has been a good day on two fronts. First the Lagonda Gearbox is poised to go back into the car a little later today. Second at long last the spare wheel carrier arrived on my doorstep about an hour ago. It will need a light sand blast prior to being painted but before that I need to trial fit it and drill a couple of more holes to suit five bolt wheels. In the same package was the stepped nut to secure the steering wheel so I can finally fit up the hand control quadrant and levers.

If you are feeling frustrated with the delay imagine how I have been, as I said on my Lagonda Rapier (British cars) thread. I have now achieved a PhD in Preselecterology. If you had asked me a month ago I would have laughed at any suggestion that it was going to take so long to dismantle and rebuild (5 times) that gearbox.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138987851_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138987861_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Finally I have been able to make some progress (a little) on the Packard. This morning was spent washing all the greasy hand prints etc off the Lagonda and cleaning up generally. This afternoon I was able to cut out some gaskets and finally fit the glass into the headlamp rims. Next week I hope to make some real progress with both the windscreen frame and the spare-wheel mount.

Bernie J.

Having finally got around to actually looking closely at the spare wheel mount I realise it is from a slightly later model and will require some minor modification to accommodate the 1923 Five lug wheels so that looks like the next task.

With "old cars" nothing is ever simple!

Bernie J.

Mounting the spare wheel involves a little more than perhaps i had realised. First job was to remove the petrol tank, with that out of the way I could drill the required 9/16th hole in the centre of the rear chassis cross member, This is to take the original factory supporting strut. For some reason the car came with two of these but no centre hole. Next the as yet unpainted spare wheel carrier could be trial mounted prior to drilling the two holes in the rear tubular cross member. It all sounds so simple yet it has taken the best part of the morning. Next step is to have the carrier itself sandblasted then I can give it a coat of black paint, then finally install it.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138997479_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138997485_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138997493_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138997499_thumb.jpg

Not a great deal of difference to the last photographs of the spare wheel carrier, the only difference apart from a day spent prep-ing and painting is that it is now (hopefully) permanently mounted. One more task to be crossed off the list.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143139000144_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313900015_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139000156_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it seems that I must have used the last of my silversolder flux and the trade shops are closed for a public holiday long weekend so I have changed back to road testing the rebuilt gearbox in the Lagonda (see my thread under British cars). No rest for the wicked!

Bernie J.

What a remarkable and small world we vintage car enthusiasts live in.

Recently a friend who lives in Suffolk, England, sent me (in Melbourne, Australia) a link to a Dixie Flyer dashboard clock that was for sale on e-bay. I forwarded this information on to my contact in the Kentucky Trailer Co, Louisville Kentucky, originally the Kentucky Wagon Co makers of the Dixie Flyer and now owners of the D-F Firefly Speedster. I have just heard from them that they have now secured the clock.

Bernie J.

Hi West

Good to hear from you again. Thank you for the e-bay link, perhaps someone else may be inspired to restore an original Doctors Coupe. I think that one is sufficient for me to cope with at present. It is interesting to see some of the original features although I think that I prefer my seating arrangement. Somehow I cannot see Helen sitting up/down on that little hard folding jump seat intended for the passenger anymore than I can see her lounging in the rear. I hope to have my finished seats in the next week or so, then all the experts can pass judgement.

Looking at the photographs on e-bay I also prefer my disc wheels to wooden spokes. I think that they greatly enhance the cars appearance.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143139057805_thumb.jpg

Finally I have been able get back to some serious work. Having had a small collection of pieces brass channel sitting on the bench for some time I have been able to glue them all together albeit with silver solder rather than superglue. It has not been without trauma but I think that once they are all cleaned up they may be able to go to be plated. Before that I have to do a final trial fitting just in case there may be some minor fettling to be done. Only then can yet another box can be ticked.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143139061294_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139061302_thumb.jpg

Decisions decisions. I had originally thought to make the windscreen in two sections, divided horizontally with the upper section hinged at the top. I have now decided that this is impractical and will use a single piece of glass instead. In doing this I can overcome a number of small problems and believe that it will be a far neater and more satisfactory outcome in the end.

Bernie J.

Another day and a little more progress on the windscreen. The one last job I have to do is to drill and tap the holes for the fixing screws that attach the top rail to the side pillars.

Before you all rush to your keyboards, the camera angle has thrown up some strange perspectives. The sides of the windscreen are actually perpendicular and parallel!

Bernie J.

post-51681-143139063713_thumb.jpg

Guest cben09

And of the 1143 replys,,,I wonder how many are Packard owners,,,

Many threads ratio is about one thousand to one,,,,

Generally folks from New York dont make eye contact,,

In Maine here we give a friendly wave to police,,,

And they wave back,,

City boy with me almost fell out of his chair,,,Cheers,,Ben

Hi Bernie. I don't post too often but check in every few days. I enjoy watching your progress and how you take each task on to it's completion. Don't let the lack of comments discourage you, many are watching, and I find several of our local club members also keep an eye on this thread. You have them talking in the shop on Saturday morning coffee. Keep up the good work. Ed

hello bernie,dave from calif,i usually dont reply to often,this is only the second time,i think the packard is looking great,i think its remarkable how you just get it done,ive watched others look for parts for years and am guilty of it myself,what you dont have youll produce ,i think we can all take lessons from you ad your driven spirit,if more of us where like you there would be less half finished projects waiting in the shops,for several years ive had a 1927 moon roadster in storage unsure of weather to restore it or just part it out,after watching the dixie and now the packard the moon is finally in progress, i thank you for the postings it gives myself ad im sure many others the ambition to get it done,again if im lucky enought to make it to australia i will make it a point to meet you just to shake your hand, dave

Thank you to ALL my friends

I was not digging for compliments, I would just appreciate a little feedback occasionally. I am always conscious that not everything I do meets with instant approval. The change of plans for the windscreen for instance took quite some thinking about and time worrying whether it was the best solution to a difficult problem. I am always open to helpful suggestions and comments. As it is I have virtually made TWO windscreen frames and used up almost 12 metres of brass channel section.

Bernie J.

Today has been relatively low key. Since putting the gearbox back into the Lagonda Rapier I have wanted to do a reasonably long test drive. We have a VSCC Event this coming weekend and I needed to be sure that all was ok. This morning was cold but with some weak sunshine so I headed out through the nearby hills to visit Dave the Painter. I discovered that the adjustment for the remote control gearshift was failing to pick up top gear about every second or third change up. All it needed was one turn of a threaded rod, all that is left on the must do list is to buy and fit two new windscreen wiper blades. That left this afternoon free so I pulled out the bits of the basic top frame that I had started on months ago. Naturally with Melbourne's climate it had a complete coating of surface rust. After three hours with an aggressive wire brush in my angle grinder, a couple of sheets of sand paper and a spray can of Black "KIL-RUST" the bits have been "hung out to dry". At the very least they will not go rusty again.

Bernie J.

Yesterday I decided that I had procrastinated far too long and that my next task was to make the mounting straps for the vacuum tank. The photographs tell the story. Starting with a length of 1 1/2 inch X 1/8 inch strip the first job was to slice this into two pieces 3/4 inch wide. This was done using one of my favourite thin cut off blades in my angle grinder. These were then de-rusted and de-scaled and the edges cleaned up using a 120 grit "flap-wheel" on the same trusty angle grinder. They could then be measured and marked up having first measured the circumference of the Vac tank. The ends were then folded in my off-set vice and the necessary holes drilled, finally they were rolled around a former of the same circumference as the tank (in this instance a worn out emery wheel from the bench grinder). Finally they were given a light sanding to clean off any hand prints etc and given a coat of fast drying etch primer. This was again given a light sand-papering and a coat of black paint then hung up to dry. This morning they are ready to be fitted to the Vacuum tank. Next task will be to fit it to the bulkhead then I can finally move on to completing the plumbing of the petrol and vacuum lines.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143139069015_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139068994_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139069017_thumb.jpg

Help!

I know that the improvements to the set up are obviously brilliant but I really am having trouble coming to terms with the system for uploading photographs. Can someone please explain or I will just have to give up, the frustration is killing me. Added to this I just don't have the time to keep going around in ever decreasing circles.

Bernie J.

Bernie,

It is different but easy. At the top of the Quick Reply screen there are small icons. The fourth from the right is "Insert Image." If you hover your cursor over the small icons, it will display the icon name. When you find the "Insert Image" icon, click it. That will bring up a dialog box where you can then choose to upload from your "Computer" or "from URL". To upload a photo from your computer, click on "Computer" at the top of the box if it is not already on that setting, and then click on Select Files at the bottom, to choose the photo that you wish to post.

Thank you Matthew

I have successfully posted some photographs on my other (Lagonda Rapier) thread. Work is continuing on the Packard. Today has been spent sorting out all the little brass pipe fittings to connect up the Vacuum tank. I still seem to be missing one hopefully tomorrow will solve that problem.

Bernie j.

More progress on the fuel system I have discovered a local firm Pirtek who carry a large range of brass fittings for imperial size (1/4 & 5/16 inch) copper pipes. So at last I can move on one step closer to having the Packard running.

Bernie J.

Guest 1928Packard526

Bernie —

Back on 1/18/11 I sent you a photo of the engine compartment of well restored '22 Packard 6. I still have that photo, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post it again under this new S/W iteration for your use. I have the instructions that were sent your way, but they won't work for me. As consequence, I will send a copy of that photo to you via regular email. The photo may not help in any case, as I see no sign of a return spring.

Later,

Pete P.

Thanks Pete

It must be something to do with our advanced years. I still am working around posting photographs but by following Matthews instructions I am successful sometimes. It seems that progress for the sake of progression sometimes leads to recession, or does that sound like Greek philosophy?

Bernie J.