My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Welcome back Ben. Good to have your input. Work on the Packard has slowed this last week. I have a major report on the VSCC of Aust 24 Hour Team Trial to write for the Automobile magazine (UK).

Bill B. Unfortunately I gave the Snubber tool to Kentucky Trailer along with a small parcel of spares for the Dixie Flyer. I wonder if they will ever get to use it? I am sure that I can fabricate something similar when I get around to putting the snubbers back together. At the moment they are a box of bits. At least the paint is having a chance to harden.

Bernie J.

Hello Bill

If you contact Dan Murphy at KY Trailer he may be able to give you the spacing. Alternatively if you wait for two or three weeks I will bring my fabrication attempt forward. I will have to go back through my D-F file and find the photographs of the original. Perhaps someone out there has one that they can photograph and measure. I really don't think that the exact spacing of the pins is all that critical.

Bernie J.

Hello again

After a quick search I have found the photographs of the famous "Snubber Adjuster" Hope that this is of some help. Next thing is to find a suitable size horse shoe and a skillet handle... (First find the suitable size horse)

Fortunately the scrap iron man still has not come to collect all my junk so I can re-visit a couple of the bins in search of some suitable material.

Working backwards, the length of the pins should be approximately the same as the width of the strap. From there it should not be too difficult to guesstimate the other dimensions.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138584156_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313858416_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Guest cben09

Some years ago[dont ask],I needed a similar pin spanner,,so I used an old Coe's wood handle wrench,,drilled 2 holes ACROSS the jaws threaded em,,,ground the ends of the bolts/pins,,

Now I had an ADJUSTABLE pin spanner,,Cheers Ben

Hi Ben

Sorry that I have been missing for a couple of days. I have been out in the shed looking for one of those adjustable spanners, I was sure that I had one somewhere. Having just got rid of a ton and a half of junk you would think it would be easy to find.....

Bernie J.

Hi all

I have just purchased most of the material needed to make a start on constructing the seat frames early next week. Before that I have to give the Lagonda Rapier a service and clean in preparation for Sunday mornings VSCC Frost-bite Run. For those scratching their heads right now, here in the southern states of Australia it is now mid winter and a 100 mile run into the near-by hills in an open 1934 sports car can definitely be described as a Frost-bite run.

Bernie J

Would you believe it?

After searching for the missing plug that goes into the side of the timing chain case for about six weeks including a giant clean-out. I walked back into the garage this afternoon after stopping for lunch. There right in the center of an otherwise empty floor was the missing plug. How did it get there? It certainly was not there when I stopped work. I had not even been working on the Packard, I had given the Lagonda a chassis grease, checked the levels in the sump and gearbox and adjusted the front brakes.

The only (totally illogical) explanation is that my friendly resident garage poltergeist had decided that it was time to quit that trick. Problem is what stunt will he/she try next?

Bernie J.

Well here we are on Sunday Evening Australian Time. As mentioned we had an early start this morning for the VSCC Frost-bite run. While it did not snow as it has on previous such runs, we had 161 miles of gale force winds, rain and heavy mist. After lunch we had had enough of being Spartans decided to put the top up. It really did not matter as with the weather conditions there was precious little scenery that we could see. The Lagonda Rapier went as we have come to expect, sitting on a very comfortable 60 mph, for most of the journey home. Back to the Packard tomorrow, start of another week.

Below is a photograph of some of the participating cars lined up prior to setting off for an entertaining days motoring. Reading from left to right;

1929 Lancia Lambda Saloon, 1926 Vauxhall 30/98, 1953 Riley 1.5 litre, 1924 Vauxhall 23/60, 1928 Ford Model A, 1927 Morris Cowley, 1934 Lagonda Rapier.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138592795_thumb.jpg

Would you believe it?

After searching for the missing plug that goes into the side of the timing chain case for about six weeks including a giant clean-out. I walked back into the garage this afternoon after stopping for lunch. There right in the center of an otherwise empty floor was the missing plug. How did it get there? It certainly was not there when I stopped work.

The only (totally illogical) explanation is that my friendly resident garage poltergeist had decided that it was time to quit that trick. Problem is what stunt will he/she try next?

Bernie J.

Happens to me all the time. I know it can't possibly be my fault, your paranormal explanation must be true!

Hi Don

I hope that by not responding to your message sooner that you don't think that I don't appreciate your input. Far from it! I enjoy and look forward to contact with like minded enthusiasts from across the world. To day I spent the morning writing a report on our weekends motoring for both my local club's Newsletter and for the Automobiles in Action section of the Automobile magazine in the UK. This afternoon I have made a start on the seat bases for the Packard. Tomorrow I am taking the Peugeot to a friends garage/workshop to have the clutch attended to. It has recently commenced slipping after fifteen years of enthusiastic driving. That is one of the problems in owning one of those fragile foreign cars!

My son who has been driving the car for the last 5 years kept driving it up 4WD Only tracks. Got mixed up between 4WD (Four wheel drive) and Fwd (Front wheel drive).

Bernie J.

Work on the seat frames is progressing (slowly). Managed to put in a two or three of hours this afternoon. Hope to finish the first one over the weekend so I can take it over to Tony my terrific trimmer, he can either give it his approval or suggest any modifications to the design he thinks advisable . I also need to talk to him about leather, carpet and top/tonneau fabric colours before I decide on a final paint colour scheme.

Bernie J

As I have said previously I am a much more proficient welder than a carpenter.

That being so I have almost completed the first seat frame. Amazingly this one seat has eaten up almost 8 meters (26 ft) of steel tube 3/4 inch for the base and 1/2 inch for the backrest. To fit in with the floor plan of the body the seat-bases taper quite sharply towards the front. Rather than the little jump seat next to the driver my car will have two matching fully upholstered front seats. The seat backs will fold forward to allow access into the rear. At least they will not squeak or rattle, will stay together and will weigh a whole lot less than a comparative timber framed seat.

Yes, you will only be able to fold the seat back forward when the door is open.

Bernie J.

post-51681-14313859933_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138599331_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138599339_thumb.jpg

How did you spend your weekend?

Fairly much as usual I spent mine out in the "garage" working on the seat frames. It is amazing how much you can achieve with basic hand tools and a little dedication.

Below are the completed seat frames started on Friday afternoon and finished about 4.30 Sunday afternoon. The third photograph shows my high tech welding bench and tube bender. The most sophisticated tools that I have used are the two magnetic "welder's friends". As I work 99% of the time on my own they are invaluable. I use an ancient gas welding set-up a four inch angle grinder with thin cutting disks and a drill. Oh yes and my brains! Funny how many people, as they grow older, forget how to use them....

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138601331_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138601339_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138601348_thumb.jpg

Bernie, Isn't one reason to include some wood into the design as it provides a method for attaching (stapling) the material to the frame? I know you can use hogs rings for a seat cover arrangement to the lower metal frame. Is that the plan??

Also for that square channel, formed totally cold or was some heat involved?

Chris

Hi Chris

How is it all going?

You are correct the outside of the backrest is to be covered with 3mm ply as is the perimeter of the base. The frames are with Tony (my terrific Trimmer) now. I will try to get some progress photographs. His shop is about 20 minutes from my home.

The curved sections of the frame for the back rest are cold formed using my patent tube bender, seen in the foreground of the photograph of my welding"bench" etc. That is an old 13 inch rim cut in half, a bar welded across the "well" at one end and a extension "handle" on the other. Simply insert one end of the tube to be bent under the bar and carefully apply pressure on the other end. Presto a nice 13 inch radius bend. It works with both square and round ERW tube up to 3/4 inch with a wall thickness of 1.6 mm, without rippling or distorting the tube. All the welds are gas-welds (oxy-acetylene). I do have an equally ancient Arc (electric) welder that I use for heavy gauge materials. None of my tools or equipment are under 25/30 years old. Perhaps that is why it all works so well. Not necessarily fast but they get the job done! Just an aside, I have found that 90 year old hickory Dodge Four (23 inch) wheel spokes make excellent hammer handles. I have been using one for about 20 years!!!

Bernie J.

Just don't tell the judging people. I know that the finished results will look "right" and as I have said before they won't fall apart , squeak or rattle. The seats are to be upholstered in Biscuit hide with Chocolate brown carpet on the outside back.

For anyone interested attached are some close up photographs of the tube bender with 3/4 inch round steel tube.

If you are wondering what happened to the other half of the wheel. It is doing sterling service as a hose reel (holder) bolted to the wall next to the outside garden tap.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138604231_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138604237_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138604243_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138604249_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138604255_thumb.jpg

Hi All

When someone asks "What did you do today?' they could hardly expect you to reply as I would have to today "I re-cut the slots on 200 wood screws by hand with a hack-saw"

But that is exactly what I have been doing. I proudly bought two boxes of obsolete and nigh on impossible to find, slot head wood screws. These are needed to re-screw the panels back onto the wood frame of the Packard, Imagine my dismay when I found that the antique bronze finish on these particular screws had filled the slots. There was only one thing to do. Clean out the offending slots by hand one screw at a time. A great way to fill in an afternoon! At least all the purists out there will not be offended by Phillips head screws. Even if they would have had to tear out all the trim to find them.

Bernie J.

In case you are wondering the Packard coach-builders did not take short cuts by nailing their Aluminium panels onto the frame. No! They screwed them on using little 6 gauge X 3/4 inch wood screws, one screw every two or three inches! This is one of the tasks awaiting me over the next week or two.

No power screw-drivers please, just the old fashioned jobs. Turned by hand using arm power.

Hello Bernie,

I just caught up on you r postings. Good progress! I need to digress for a moment and hope you will respond regarding your posting #450. I can roughly ID a couple of the cars, your Rapier, Model A, and down the line a Riley. Could you please describe more fully the cars you mixed with for your run.

Thanks,

Alan

Hello Alan

Starting from furthest from the camera there is a 1928 Lancia Lambda Weyman (fabric) Saloon, a 1926 Vauxhall 30/98 roadster, a 1953 Riley 1.5 Litre saloon, a 1927 Vauxhall 23/60 tourer an A model tourer, a 1928 Morris Oxford tourer and our 1934 Lagonda Rapier.

The mix is fairly typical of the members of the Victorian VSCC cars. Unlike the clubs in America the club prides itself that it has never held a static display, Concours or show. It does have a strongly competitive element to most of the monthly events. These vary but the road events usually are based on both navigation skill and time elapsed/average speed. In addition the club runs Speed Hillclimbs, Sprints and an Observed Section Trial (mud and wet grass test hills) The club has strict rules for the competitive events with just two classes. Vintage (pre 1930) and PVT (up to 1940)

For social runs such as the one photographed members may bring their post WW2 Classics. For speed events there are additional classes based on engine capacity and a further division for cars running without fenders, lights, etc and for "Specials" usually home constructed racing cars built from a mixture of components but from within the "period" i.e. Vintage or PVT (Post Vintage Thoroughbred) For example my car being 1934 is classed as a PVT as it has been bored out from 1100cc to 1498cc it runs in Speed events in the PVT Under 1500cc class. The VSCC has two, one for each category, perpetual trophies awarded annually for the best overall performance by a car and driver combination during the one year. These are keenly contested.

For those who would like to know more I write regular reports on the Clubs events in the "Automobiles in Action" section of the UK based Automobile magazine.

Sorry to be so long winded but I hope that this helps.

Bernie J.

Hello again Alan

Knowing that you are, among other things, an Alvis owner I thought that you may like this Alvis 12/50 photographed at the start of last years Alpine Trial a two and a half day event run during the Spring. It usually attracts between 50 and sixty entries. As the name implies it is run through the Australian Alps with the over night stop at a ski resort. It usually covers about 300/350 miles.

Typical VSCC events usually have about 6 Alvis among the entries.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138606851_thumb.jpg

I am just a little disappointed that no one was sufficiently interested in the Rally Plaques to comment. There are some interesting ones among them. How many of you have seen the "Driver's Parade" at Le Mans 24 Hour or better still actually driven your car in the "Parade"?

You don't get any of them in "Dime stores" you have to be a participant.

Enough of all that, it has been too cold in my extremely well ventilated work-shop the past two or three days. I have spent the time on my computer writing about 3,000 words but more of that later.

Bernie J.

Bernie,

Rally Plaques from participation are personal and specific to the car and owner. However, now that you've opened the door, I congratulate you on your extensive collection gathered over your many years of participation in events including some with very limited access. Seeing I started only a couple of years ago, my "collection" pales in comparison.

On another matter, a few posts ago you mentioned an Alvis 12/50, well last month I came across one in of all places West Ryde, a Sydney suburb. Couple of pic's I took as it sat at the traffic lights.

post-52046-143138611652_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138611654_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138611656_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138611658_thumb.jpg

post-52046-14313861166_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138611663_thumb.jpg

Guest Xprefix28truck
Would any of these photos be of help to you?

Packard | eBay

I usually don't chime in on other peoples posts....BUT ....what kind of a restoration is it when people are to LAZY to take leaf springs apart and restore them right????? RUST ON A FRESH RESTORATION....SAD.....

Hi Kent

Your comments are most welcome. I could not agree more. It is a bit like the glamorous girl who does not bother to wash her face but just puts more make up on. Real beauty goes much deeper than just a shinny paint job.

I guess that I will just keep plodding along one step after another.

Bernie J.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Bernie,

I follow your threads with high regard. You are a true craftsman beyond compare. The work I have seen you do is most impressive. Keep up the good work.

Hi ocf

As I said I will just keep plodding along. This afternoon I have been straightening out the battery box support irons. I am convinced that the forklift driver down at the docks just did not give a damn, but that was a long long time ago. With some gentle heat and a heavy hammer they have now straightened out nicely and after all who is going to climb under the car to check them out? At least I will know that they are correct.

Bernie j.

Hello

As promised I am back at work on the Packard (at last) The rug rail/body brace is back from being nickel plated and trial fitted. The Hood (bonnet for Aussies) has been temporarily assembled and trial fitted and lots of other small things happening. I am going to see Tony Mc Connell (Trimmer) this afternoon to talk about Top material but more of that later.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138620137_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138620143_thumb.jpg

Out of the Arc

A long time ago, probably before many of you were borne I used to have woven exclusively for me and sell the traditional 1920s Salt & Pepper top material. I have just one roll that I have had squirrelled away. It still has to be laninated The finished product is a three ply fabric with a heat sealed centre membrane of Butyl-rubber. I think that it could make the perfect "Top" for the Packard.

Bernie J.

Sorry about the duplicated photographs I have tried to delete one without success.

Bj.

post-51681-143138622965_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest lexaniwheels123

Lexani Wheels

this is my favorite web site.The postings are very unique and also out standing performance with the new creativity and excellency with the new different ideas and concepts.Really I am waiting for some more new posts from you.Keep up your excellency

Bernie, Have you resolved what the color scheme is going to be, Last time we chatted about it you were thinking of a beige and brown. If that is the same plan then this swatch you shared should be striking. How does the proposed laminated Heat sealed with Butyl rubber differ than Stayfast brand top material. Would this three ply fabric be too thick to fold when the top is put down??

Chris