1937-38 Dodge front axle needed

alsfarms

Could someone add a couple of pictures of what a stock 1937-38 Dodge front axle would look like? Also, what other years and makes are interchangeable so I can look wider to find an axle. Does anyone have an axle left over from a Rod conversion?

Regards, Alan

Hello and thanks for posting the parts book cut of the 1938 Dodge axle. More questions, are the passenger cars and light pick-up axles the same? I had it my head that Chrysler Corp. used some tube type axles, but it sure does not look like '38 Dodge was one of them that did.

Thanks for your taking the time to post your information.

Al

Hello and thanks for posting the parts book cut of the 1938 Dodge axle. More questions, are the passenger cars and light pick-up axles the same? I had it my head that Chrysler Corp. used some tube type axles, but it sure does not look like '38 Dodge was one of them that did.

Thanks for your taking the time to post your information.

Al

I totally was with you on this one...I thought for sure that my '36 Dodge Brothers touring sedan had a tube front axle. Why would Chrysler go back to that "I-beam" style? I am also with you on the truck axles as being tube type. I am still learning...and learning...someone please educate us.

Thanks again for the notes. Would someone , who has a 37-38 Dodge down for restoration, take a picture or two and post them here. My curiosity is very pointed and I would sure like to see what the axle should look like. Another question, did Dodge and other Chrysler products alter the wheelbase by moving the front axle forward on the front springs? I have lots to learn.

Al

Hey, Thanks for posting the pictures of the tube axle. This type is what I remember to be coorect for a 1937-38 Dodge or Chrysler product. Will someone post a picture of a solid axle, to use as a comparison with the above tube axle type? Thanks again for taking the time to respond and post.

Al

Guest Nathan T

:) I noticed you are looking for a 37-38 Dodge front axle. They are indeed are not I beams. I have owned both a 37 Dodge and still have my 38 Dodge touring sedan (almost 30 Years).

I have an axle with spindals and hubs. You may contact me at (269) 553-9451. Ask for Nathan. I just registered at this site in order to reply.

Guest Nathan T

I hope I am not posting this twice. I have a 38 dodge Sedan front axle with both spindles and hubs. If interested call me at (269) 553- 9451 and ask for Nate.

It doesn't seem to be clear whether you want an axle for a 37 or a 38. But here is a picture of a 37 axle, car # 74D TRG 4dr sedan, which is an I-Beam . If you are interested this axle is available.

Glen

post-63263-143138196102_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest claudiu1988
It doesn't seem to be clear whether you want an axle for a 37 or a 38. But here is a picture of a 37 axle, car # 74D TRG 4dr sedan, which is an I-Beam . If you are interested this axle is available.

Glen

Can you put a bigger picture of the front axle.

So, eBay guy lists his axle that is for sale as a '34 - 35 - 36 - 38 front axle. Note: 37 is NOT listed. A clue maybe? (BTW: My '36 has the tube axle.) Seems I heard this some time in the past, that Dodge tried the solid "I-Beam" axle for either all or part of '37, didn't like it, and went back to the "tried and true" tube in '38. (Look at all the leaves in the '37 spring set-up in "31DH's" photo vs. the '38 springs in "hwellens" photos! Interesting!)

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest gunnar single
Could someone add a couple of pictures of what a stock 1937-38 Dodge front axle would look like? Also, what other years and makes are interchangeable so I can look wider to find an axle. Does anyone have an axle left over from a Rod conversion?

Regards, Alan

I have an I-Beam front axle from a 1936 K22 truck. I'm not sure if it will fit but if you find out it will its available.

Ther is a complete axel on ebay now.Under 1938 dodge.Take a look.

No front axle listed in the 448 entries in eBay under "38 Dodge". Only a rear axle.

Could you "copy and paste" the eBay URL from that auction that you found? I took the time to look through all 448 items and didn't see it, others may not want to take that much time.

Its under , 1938 dodge thats 1938 dodge again thats 1938 dodge

OK. THIS time I tried "38 dodge" in "eBay MOTORS", not in "eBay"! On item 155 of 760 total items I found:

1934 1935 1936 1938 PLYMOUTH DODGE DESOTO STRAIGHT AXLE : eBay Motors (item 160428595213 end time May-01-10 06:30:44 PDT)

This item was already mentioned earlier in this thread. :confused: If others try a simple search in "eBay" or "eBay Motors", at least try "38 dodge axle" and save yourself some time!

Not all a waist of time though. I found some other really cool stuff for my "36 Dodge" too!

Have a good one!

• 1 year later...
Guest Walsterdoomit

Hello. I hope that I can help you out with this axle. I have a couple, and probably have all parts as well, to go with it. I have springs also. BUT, I am unsure of the year and model. All I know, I think i have it narrowed down to a 1937 dodge. It IS an I beam type. NOT a tube design. I will take some pics and add to this later today. These are heavy axles! Shipping would be expensive, but I am sure you know that. I will post them and hopefully someone can confirm the year / make.

Guest Walsterdoomit

1937 DODGE TRUCK FRONT AXLE SOLID/CLEAN DRUMS/SPRING'S | eBay

This is an ebay listing running today. Mine is almost identical. The only exception is the extensions on the hubs. My axles do not have the extensions. Just hubs with a 5 hole lug pattern. I would gladly take less than he is offering. I have 2 axles if anyone else is interested.

Any input as to the model would be super!

Guest Walsterdoomit

Here are some pics. However I looked closer at the other axles and they a not all the same. I will need to pull them out of the weeds. The area is pretty wet right now, so Ill try in a few days.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to Everyone that has participated in my search for a 1937-38 front axle. As the urn churns, my project has prospered! I now have a 95% complete 1937 DeSoto. A good solid car but unrestored. I do lack the front bumper if anyone knows where I might locate one. (Then I will be close to 100%) This car will be restored original. The other project, I was very serious about, lacked just enough parts that it was bumped out of the way when the DeSoto came along. I like the looks of the DeSoto probably better than any of the Chrysler products of that vintage so I am happy. Thanks again for everyone taking the time to read and respond and offer help. I wish all of the AACA forums were as helpful as this one!

Al