1950 Oldsmobile 99 ?????

Guest racecarchip

Guest racecarchip

Hello,

I am looking for any information on what is supposed to be a 1950 Oldsmobile 99, the story is that only 15 or 16 were made. I saw the rocket emblem that says 99 on it. Is this for real and if so, what's the deal with this car

Thanks,

Chip

The only thing I can shed on this would be to say that, if there was a "99", it would not have followed the "logic", if you will, of the Oldsmobile numerical system.

The second digit in the series they had (66, 76, 88, 98) would have denoted the number of cylinders that the engine would have had; hence the debut of the "88" in 1949 with the "Rocket" V-8 OHV engine (the "98" series debuted in 1941, with a straight-8).

If there was a "99", I can bet there would not have been a 9-cylinder car, but who knows...

Someone turned the 66 emblem upsidedown. I used to see a Rambler running around town that said "Mable" on the front end.....or perhaps it was an ultra rare 65 Mable. They only made 12 of them, I hear.

Remember all those 5.0 mustangs with the single exhaust pipes...? :rolleyes:

Whoever told you 15 or 16 was feeding you a pure unadulterated load of crap. There were NO "99" Oldsmobiles built.

What you have is an aftermarket "lookalike" emblem sold thru the likes of Warshawsky/ J.C. Whitney as a replacement for a lost or damaged "88" emblem, and changed just enough that the GM lawyers couldn't say it was an unauthorized duplicate and gather royalties. You see the same type thing on old stock aftermarket production hubcaps- similar, but not an exact duplicate of the factory design.

When we were teen-agers in Jersey, they used to say "get off the table, Mabel, the quarter is for the beer".

Edited by Marty Roth
punctuation (see edit history)

Guest DeSoto Frank

There's another Rambler running around with it's lettering transposed to read "MARBLER"...

I think it might have been written-up in HCC in the last year or so...

Those Nash-Rambler guys are a witty bunch, you know... :D

:cool: