Help in Massachusetts

Guest 48 Roadmaster

Guest 48 Roadmaster

Hello Everyone. Let me first introduce myself a little. My name is Sean. Im VERY new to the classic car scene. I have a 1948 Buick Roadmaster 76S. I have only owned it since June of 2009. I have done a little bit of work to it (actually... I have had OTHER people do the work to it), but it is no where NEAR where I would like it to be. I was wondering if there were people on here that could point me in the right direction to have a few things done in my area. I live just outside of Worcester. I spoke to BUKE on the phone today and he told me this is a great place to start and ask questions. (Thanks BUKE!)

First of all, I am looking for a new wiring harness for the car. I know of 3 places that seem to have decent reputations, but was wondering how many people have actually used these places and would recommend them. They are, Harnesses Unlimited, RI Wire and YNZ yesterdays parts. Secondly, is there anyone in the area that would be able to do the job of replacing the harness? I dont want just anyone working on the car, but if people have reputable installers, feel free to either post them or send me a private message. Lastly (for now), I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can get pair of reverse lights (the whole assembly). There are holes on the body of the car, and from what I have read these were an option back then, but my particular car doesnt have them. Any leads on any of these things would be extremely helpful. Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions and sorry for this long boring post!

Sean

post-66268-143138170964_thumb.jpg

post-66268-143138170966_thumb.jpg

post-66268-143138170968_thumb.jpg

post-66268-14313817097_thumb.jpg

Sean,

I don't think there is such a thing as a boring post that ends with photos of a car like that. Welcome to the hobby and the forum. You have a great car. You need to keep in mind that the National Meet is in your neck of the woods in 2011.

I'm nowhere near you, so can't offer installation advice. Good luck with the car.

Sean,

Welcome to the forum. BUKE is very much a Buick enthusiast and fellow BCA Minuteman Chapter member and friend. If you have not done so yet, please join the club (Buick Club of America - BCA - Welcome) and then our Minuteman Chapter...many great members who can offer excellent Buick advice.

I have purchased and installed two wiring harnesses from Rhode Island Wiring, and have been very satisfied with their product. I also recommend that you join the BCA and the Minuteman Chapter--lots of good people in that chapter, who are friends of mine.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman,TX

1948 Roadmaster model 71

1949 Super model 59

1950 Roadmaster model 76-R

1959 Electra 2-dr. ht.

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. ht.

1963 Wildcat conv. 4-spd.

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D I've done a ton of rewireing on all sorts of vintage autos and equipment. But you are a little futher than I want to drive for a service call. Should be someone qualified closer to you, but if not, you could bring it to me when the weather gets a little better, and I get some room in my work area as it is full right now. I'm just over the Mass border in NY. Sweet old Buick. May you have many happy miles with it! :cool: Dandy Dave!

Guest 48 Roadmaster

Many thanks to everyone that has sent me private messages and posts here. I think I have made the decision to go with RI Wire. Im still not sure what to do about the install of it though. Im trying to find someone somewhat locally with a great reputation for working on Buicks and/or classic cars in general. Does anyone know how involved of a project this would be? How much should I expect to pay for a complete harness install? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just so new to this whole experience. :confused: Thanks again!

Welcome aboard. That is one hell of a car. While I cannot answer your questions about the cost of an installation, I am just wondering what causes you to think you need a new wiring harness. One reason I ask is because of that rear windshield wiper. I didn't think anything like that was available back in the late 40's so if that was true it's appearance tells me someone's already done some electrical work.

Guest 48 Roadmaster

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. John D: Yes, according to my Buick shop manual, the rear wiper was an option back then. From what I understand, it is a rare option. Unfortunately, none of the wipers are working at this point and I have a lot of different switches under the dash that I really have no idea what they are for. Hopefully by getting a new harness, i can take things out that don't belong. The reason I am looking at getting a new harness is mostly because the wiring under the hood is dangerously scary! If you look at it wrong it just starts to crumble and break apart! In my opinion, definitely a fire hazard!

last winter I did business with Rhode Island wire and have to recomend these people to anyone. They pay a lot of attention to details and their final product is as good a reproduction as anyone could make. They are close to me and I drove there and saw their entire operation. Very impressive.There are a few harnesses to your 48 Roadmaster. Mine is a 47 Roadmaster canvertible. The main harness includes the basics under dash and most all the under hood stuff including front headlights ETC. Another harness is the rear lights, fuel guage, interior lights and if you have power windows and seat that is another harness. Heater system is another harness. As I remember it if all the harnesses are bought the price is about $1200. I bought the wire and connectors from them and built my own harnesses and then brought is all to them and they spooled up the harnesses for a price. All in all it cost me slightly over $300 to get the harnesses completed color coded and ready to install. Lots of man hours to install harnesses in an assembled car tho. Be prepared to pay fairly big.. Your Buick is a beauty and I am sure it is worth while to spend the necessary money to make it right. Wish I had the time to help you install the harnesses. My spare time is now spent on finishing my own Buick so it is ready for the 2011 Buick national here in Mass. Get back to me if you wish tho. I will try guiding you thru any problems you have with your Buick. I am in Wareham Mass, near Cape Cod. Pirate3200@aol.com

Guest sconnors

Sean,

I have a 1950 Buick Special and am having a wiring harness put in this April. After extensive research I decided to go with YnZ's Yesterdays Parts

They were great to deal with, competitive price wise and the party that is doing the harness said he has had great luck with them.

On that note, I live in New York State right on the Ma/Ny border. I'm having a guy do mine up this way and that's all he does is antique car restoration. Here's his information:

Adler's Antique Autos, Inc.

Now for the money issues. The harness was $1400.00. The guy who is putting it in gave me an estimate of around $2600.00 in labor. I've gotten cheaper estimates, but I figure if I'm spending $1400 on a harness I don't want someone to garbage it up. I've seen this guy's work and it's incredible.

Hope that helps. Feel free to email me or check out the pictures of my 1950. By the way you got a great car!

My email is scottpconnors@yahoo.com

Scott

Guest 48 Roadmaster

Thanks for all the help everyone. Over the past few days a lot of you have sent me messages on here and a few private messages, too. I really appreciate all the help and just cant believe all the support I am getting. Thanks again to everyone! I should be ordering the harness Monday or Tuesday from RI Wire. Looking forward to getting that project done! Now to find a trustworthy installer. A lot of you have messaged me with suggestions on that, too. Thank you. Keeping all options open and will hopefully decide on that in a few weeks!!