Toyota stops sales of 8 models in recall

Reatta Man

I would assume that the purpose of that would be to minimize the time that those factories are idle.... i.e. not making profit producing cars.

So I guess they want their factories like their cars (moving forward and not idling) (Sorry.... just could not stop myself)...

I guess the priority is fixing the revenue stream before fixing the concerns of their customers who have already spent money with them.

Everyone remembers the recent engine sludging problems with about 3.5 MILLION vehicles including Lexus?

Toyota Agrees to Sludge Settlement for Consumers

toyota engine sludge - Google Search

No one remembers Toyota's sludging problems. No-one remembers the crap they first imported. No one remembers that their first 2 generation minivans were unsafe, unreliable POS. No one remembers that they have never built a pick-up that didn't rust apart if it didn't break apart first - and that includes the current Dakota and that Yuppie Beast - read the NHTSA claims on those rust buckets. Some how consumers, CR and other industry media will soon forget this blantant disregard for safety too.

Guest windjamer

:DHey, great news for Toyota!!:D Ford and Chevy have anounced ( on my tv) that they will gladly accept all those POS toyotas as trade-ins and even offer o% interest.:eek: Just like in a good John Wayne movie, the caverlry to the rescue.:D This time on Ford and Chevy. horses.:rolleyes:

Guest Skyking

.........and this is just another black eye for CR. Maybe if they tested these cars like they claimed, this fiasco would have been avoided. More lies! It keeps going on and we keep believing.:rolleyes:

The real question we need to consider is what does this mean to those who will restore these cars in 25 years?

Will judging require the original system that failed or the recalled part?

Is the AACA accumulating the information so that these cars can be properly judged when they become eligible?

Without taking the time to actually look at the wording of the Judging Guidelines,

I would offer that there is precedent that safety upgrades are acceptable in AACA judging, that would clearly indicate that the replacement parts dictated by a recall certainly would not receive any deduction.

Time to call a halt and lock this thread guys. We have skated a thin line on getting into a rant and it now is. This is an antique car site that tries to allow discussion on all things automotive without getting into bashing.

As we have said before, few opinions are changed here and those with anti-import feelings are having a field day. It is inevitable that the tables will be turned another day as a domestic has a big recall and then we start the cycle again. It is the nature of manufacturing automobiles.

As a former dealer, there is a silver lining in this, shops will be busy and technicians will find a way to make the flat-rate on the recall or beat it. Cars will come in for other needed services.

Locking this thread now. Maybe we can find some interesting antique car talk!