Riviera gs sells at barrett jackson auction

dr914

I was just e mailed this by a guy sitting at home watching today's (friday) auction: 1965 Buick Rivera GS just sold 77K. they anticipated 100K. mike

Says a lot about our cars finally getting the credit they deserve. I did see a what looked to be an immaculate 63 selling on tuesday for 28,000

Guest ahhh65riv
How do you spend $218,000 to restore one of these? QUOTE]

Lol! I started thinking the same thing... Then I started adding up in my head what I've spent on mine so far... It adds up quick! Admitedly $200K is a stretch. You would basicly have to replace, recrome, re-paint, re-upolser just about everything!

Erik

Guest Gee_Rydes

When somebody advertises how much they spent on their car, it is a clue into how they do things. Most of the time I think they are foolish as they think somehow that because THEY spent it... I should consider it value added to the price of the car.

I guess they figure they saved me from spending that money that would have to be spent anyway? I prefer to locate my own services and spend my own money rather than letting somebody else be in charge and make some possibly foolish decisions.

Plus if a retail shop did it, it don't mean squat when it comes to money spent. They usually have all their guys act like they are working on the car when the owner shows up.

I would love to have a client give me $218K to make his car perfect. I know I could do it for FAR less and make a few dollars.

How to spend $218,000.00 on a Riviera restoration?

1. Spend way too much for the car in the first place!

2. Don't plan the restoration out in advance.

3. Don't do anything yourself! (except writing the checks!)

4. Don't get an estimate of the costs up front!

5. Change your mind on body and interior colors after the work has been done!

6. Tell the restoration shop that "cost is no object!"

7. Put your heart way in front of your of your head.

8. Have a bunch more money than sense!:D

Tim

White Post Restorations is a highly recognized restoration shop on the east coast - I believe it's in Virginia.

I had a couple old cars about 12 years ago I wanted done professionally. I inquired and they sent me a video of their set up. Very nice, with a library to do research and the ability to restore anything.

To start with, back then the deposit was $20,000. I suppose today it's $35,000. Still, I doubt the previous owner could provide $218,000 in receipts if pushed.

I am surprised some of you guys don't recognize the car as the 65 GS is a small fraternity.

I found it amusing that you guys said "a GS sold for $77,000". I knew you were talking about a 65 but isn't that sad when "we know we are talking about a 65". The 66 GS with the 2x4 motor was just as nice if not better - the equal in styling, interior design and won awards for Dave Holls body.

Or a bucket seat console 71 Boattail GS with 455 Stage 1 and posi.

Thankfully the $218,000 guy lost a lot of money and the value of the 65 GS has been "corrected".

I knew what I was getting into when I started on my Dad's car. I would have been much better off buying a perfect low mile one then available for only 23,000. My $30,000 was a well planned perfectly executed restoration, we at Automobile Atlanta restoring Porsches every day so we know what to do and how to do for the best results for the least money.

The unfortunate thing for me is this was my DAD'S original car that he and I bought new together (I went with him very very excited) at the Buick dealer in May of 1964 so out of the shear nostalgic obligation HAD to restore the car. I knew what I was getting myself into and I knew that better cars were available .

Guest Buick Bonery

The photos of the car on Barrett-Jackson's site look like they were taken in front of the Sacramento Radisson. Maybe all Radissons look alike, or does anyone remember this car from the meet?

Mike,

Close but no cigar. Not exactly the same as Sacramento Radisson. That car wasn't there as far as I know. I sure would like to see one of these high dollar restorations in person to try and see why so much money although I think it would be a fruitless effort.

$200,000 to restore a car certainly isn't unheard of, spending it on a mid 60's Riv is. If you pay someone to do the work and it's a complete frame off nut and bolt deal, you'll be into it for over 1000 hours so you're already half way home and that's without materials, machine work, upholstery, chrome, etc. I can't imagine the previous owner was expecting to get anywhere near his money back, but then again being a senior member of the more money than brains club, maybe he was :D

I had a chance to inspect that Riv. To be honest, for the money spent, I would have expected better quality. There was lack of detail work in the engine bay and in areas that I would have expected to be better for the money spent.

Overall, a nice car, but I was rather let down to see it in person.