Tools of the 30's and 40's

fordmerc

What tools were available for work on cars of that era?

Specific concerns about bolts and nuts:

Were sockets common? Were ratcheting socket wrenches used?

I assume box wrenches were common.

(Based on placement of some nuts and bolts I find it hard to believe that socket wrenches were used; access permits only a box wrench.)

The one tool that stands out in my mind was the big 2' Tee wrench that made removal of the Ford flat head a pleasure.

You just stood by the fender and spun it, and off the head came. No air compressor needed!

And who could forget the curved 5/8" wrench for the starter?

Most tools we have today are similar to those of 100 years ago. Hand tools have become slimmer and stronger. And there have always been special tools made for certain applications over the years including buggies. I have a complete set of sockets with rachet and universal joint in the original box dated 1910. My Grandfather started plumbing in 1895 and I have most of his original tools. The tools changed when we went from lead to cast iron and steel then on to plastic. Most of our hand tools do the same as years ago they just look newer.

RHL

With that said, how about the torque wrench. a lot of early car books tell you to Snug the head bolts down evenly with no mention of a torque wrench. A tool that a mechanic could not be without today. Dandy Dave!

Socket wrenches were definitely available and in common use in garages. You need to get some old MoToR magazines, a trade magazine of the era. The ads are fascinating and so are the articles.

The ads for socket wrenches featured a crank shaped speed wrench or speed handle, something you do not see anymore since air wrenches became popular. I think air wrenches were available but too expensive for most mechanics.

Power tools in general were expensive and found mainly in dealerships and big city garages. But there were a lot of hand tools you don't see anymore. Like a special stand for rivetting brake linings to brake shoes, and equipment for vulcanizing tires.

Guest DeSoto Frank

I have a little 10-piece socket set that my grandfather bought from Montgomery Ward in the 1930's... the whole outfit lives in a stamped-steel tray that uses the "Strong-bar" to keep everything in place.

The sockets are 12-point and range from 7/16" to 3/4", and are 3/8" HEX-drive... there is a stamped steel ratchet handle that adapts to the sockets via a stubby 3/8" hex drive pin; to reverse the ratchet, you flip it over ! The "strong-bar" is a fairly standard 3/8" "Allen"wrench.

Grandad carried it till he stopped driving in 1984. I have it now, no plans to use it, but it's a neat artifact.