Packard Ornaments

hddennis

Thanks John, that's what puzzled me, I didn't think this would take over an hour and your the first reply 4 days later AFTER prodding! And your not even a Packard guy!

Thanks for sending that lamp picture, I'd heard about them but yours is the first I've ever seen.

Howard Dennis

I was going to answer sooner, but I thought there would be a Packard guy on it really fast...I was wrong. Here's another lamp like mine...same caps. Heard they were made by a guy at a dealer who had swapped out these for the cormorant.

post-37352-14313815592_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138155922_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138155925_thumb.jpg

For future reference do I need to know some code word or secret handshake to get an answer on Packard parts?? I can't believe out of 119 views everyone is completely stumped. I spend a lot of time on here and always try to help people out that ask something that I have the least little bit of knowledge about. Sometimes I'll go do hours of research and come back with what I've found. People did it in the past for me and I feel I owe it back. Have I done something wrong or offended anyone?

Howard Dennis

Howard,

I don't really know the answer to your question. But since you seem troubled that you're not getting any answers, I'll tell you why I don't know the answer and what I know about related questions.

About two years ago, I bought pretty much exactly what you have in those photos on Ebay that was advertised as a '35. But it wasn't for a '35. So now I have one of those in my garage collecting dust, too. I think it's for a later car -- maybe a '37? -- but I don't know. I just know it's not for a '35. So I think the answer is later than '35, but I don't really know anything more than that.

I'll add that I post here pretty frequently, and the nature of the board is that sometimes I get a response and sometimes I don't. Nothing personal; it's just that we all have different schedules, different frequency of checking, and different levels of expertise.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

Howard, I don't understand why you have not received a reply by now. Although I have little knowledge of pre war Packards I will hazard a guess that these ornaments are the standard bail type from the 11th to 15th Series Packards (1934-1937). They seem to be identical to the photos in the Packard, A History etc. book. Hope this will help. No secret hand shake required from me. BTW why not post the photos with the numbers on the bottom over at http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/

and see what the experts over there say.

Edited by Clipper47 (see edit history)

I am one of the folks who viewed your post. Generally I stick to answering questions about the years of Packard I have some knowledge of (1941, 1948, 1949, 1950). I did spend considerable time trying to match the part number which as best I can make out is 304766 using the 1935-1941 Parts Manual. I didn't have any luck so I didn't respond. The closest I could come was Part 304767. Here's what I found, maybe it will help.

post-54089-143138157054_thumb.jpg

post-54089-143138157056_thumb.jpg

Well. at least everyone tried and I do appreciate that. The last ornament is definitely 304766, clear as a bell . It's now on it's way to a Canadian collector who seemed to think it would fit his car and I haven't heard anything back so maybe it did. This one with the odd attachment method is still unknown.

Howard Dennis

• 3 years later...

This reply is a little late as you seem to have already learned what you needed to know. However, '41 and '42 did have an ornament that was based on the bail but without the bail itself. Just like yours, it was what you got if you didn't order one of the special ornaments but for those two years it was different between junior and senior models. Back to yours, '38 and '39 would have been longer and '40 even longer still.

This reply is a little late as you seem to have already learned what you needed to know. However, '41 and '42 did have an ornament that was based on the bail but without the bail itself. Just like yours, it was what you got if you didn't order one of the special ornaments but for those two years it was different between junior and senior models. Back to yours, '38 and '39 would have been longer and '40 even longer still.

Different lengths depending on model. The Super 8's had a longer base than the Junior models.