Window crank removal tool

Aaron65

Wondering what you guys use to easily remove the window crank from your '53ish era Buicks. The standard removal tool isn't the right size, and the shop manual shows a special set of pliers that I obviously don't have...any good ideas? I need to pull them all.

i use a piece of wire hanger cut to about 8" in length with the last 1/2" or so bent at a 90 degree angle, just enough to hook onto the circular clip. this works for the '60s era setup, i am not sure if it works for the '53s but it might be worth a try.

Hi,

When the crank removal tool is used, it allows you to push the retaining clip sideways off of the shaft of the window mechanism, and it pushes the clip just far enough to leave it hung-up on the inner edges of the slit on each side of the crank. It's simpler than the explanation makes it seem, and once you succeed you see easily how it's done. :-) You just push the tool in the slits until it won't go any more, remove the tool, and pull the crank outward straight off the shaft.

I am a bit curious about the standard one not being the right size. The first time I used my standard tool, it wouldn't work, and I thought it was the wrong size. I later found out that the clips in the handle had been inserted into the hub from the side opposite of the side I thought they had been inserted. As I recall, I rotated the tool 180 degrees and pushed it in toward the center from the knob end of the crank. The same tool worked on the 37 Buick, 37 Cord, 37 Chev, 40 LaSalle, 50 Studebaker, 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk, 62 Chev Biscayne wagon, 67 GTO, and a 72 Chev 1/2ton.

--Tom

Hmmmmm. I'll have to reexamine the tool I use (it's a standard window crank removal tool). The last time I had the door panel off it wouldn't work, and I'm not the kind of guy not to try that tool in every imaginable way. I'll check it out again, but I remember the slot in the tool used to remove the clip as being too large. If it doesn't work I'll double up a coat hanger to use as a pair of pliers. Thanks all...

The clips used by Buick to hold the handles on are smaller than the chebby clips and most cheap clip tools sold by the discount parts centers won't work on them. On many makes of cars the ears of the clip stick slightly out so the tool can push them out, but Buicks of the late 30's through the mid 50's use a smaller clip that remains hidden from many tools. The one that Bobs Automobilia does work quite well.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyones help with my handle removal question. Now I know the preferred tool to use. Next question is from what side of the handle does it get inserted to slip the clip off..... from the tip of the door handle or the pivot end of the door handle? Hope I explained this wll enough.

Thanks for everyones help with my handle removal question. Now I know the preferred tool to use. Next question is from what side of the handle does it get inserted to slip the clip off..... from the tip of the door handle or the pivot end of the door handle? Hope I explained this wll enough.

You may have to try it both ways since the clip can be installed either of 2 ways. I always install the clip from the back side of the handle, but the guy before you may not have.

Willie