What would you choose to do?

keiser31

I just saw a talk on "justice" on NBC. A gentleman asked Meredith Vieira a question about a valuable flute. Two people want to buy it. Would you sell it to the guy who would put it away to admire in his own environment (home) where only HE could appreciate it or would you sell it to the master musician who could play it and share it with the world? What if this were your very collectible car? Would you sell it to a guy who would stuff it into his shop never to be seen except by himself? Would you sell it to a guy who would drive it and show it to the public. Let's say that either guy would pay the same price for it.

I would give it to the first one that offered the money. To be specific to your question, I don't get too high and mighty about what other people do with their stuff. I see quite a bit of hand wringing in various forums that people "hide away" their cars or "hoard" them and how it's such a shame. I feel it's not really my business.

I would want it to be seen. That's why I've offered the Mark II to The Henry Ford. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that it would be displayed as they have several hundred cars in storage.

Would you be bummed when they offer it at auction to cover operations expenses? This happens quite a bit.

Would you be bummed when they offer it at auction to cover operations expenses? This happens quite a bit.

Funny (almost) that you should mention that. My son is in Japan teaching English and injured himself a week ago. Broke his sternum in 2 places and one vertebrae. Now I will probably have to auction off my driver 1931 Dodge Brothers business coupe (the avatar car) to cover his "operations" since he was not insured.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw a talk on "justice" on NBC. A gentleman asked Meredith Vieira a question about a valuable flute. Two people want to buy it. Would you sell it to the guy who would put it away to admire in his own environment (home) where only HE could appreciate it or would you sell it to the master musician who could play it and share it with the world? What if this were your very collectible car? Would you sell it to a guy who would stuff it into his shop never to be seen except by himself? Would you sell it to a guy who would drive it and show it to the public. Let's say that either guy would pay the same price for it.

I Sold a 37 Buick business coupe to a guy that PROMISED he wouldn't street rod it. You know what happened and it still p****s me off. Your question makes it too easy though. A better scenario would be "what if two persons wanted to buy your car. The first offered book value and would cherish it. The second would pay twice book value and wanted it for a movie scene where it would be destroyed."

There is no "correct" answer of course...................Bob

Funny (almost) that you should mention that. My son is in Japan teaching English and injured himself a week ago. Broke his sternum in 2 places and one vertebrae. Now I will probably have to auction off my driver 1931 Dodge Brothers business coupe (the avatar car) to cover his "operations" since he was not insured.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about that. Auto accident?

Sorry to hear about that. Auto accident?

Nope...he was riding his bicycle and fell 10 feet down into a rice paddy (they are not as soft as we all thought). It was dark and he thought it was a short cut.

I feel bad for Bhigdog. I also sold a 1929 Chrysler 75 roadster to my best friend for less than I was offered by another guy because my friend wanted to restore it. The other guy wanted to try to fit the body onto a 1929 Chrysler 65 frame. Unfortunately, I pretty much know what will happen to my '31 3-window....I will not be able to stop the rodding of it, no matter what the buyer promises.

Guest ken bogren
I would want it to be seen. That's why I've offered the Mark II to The Henry Ford. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that it would be displayed as they have several hundred cars in storage.

I don't know if this is possible, or desireable, but...

...could an offer like that be made with the condition (or simple request) that if the Henry Ford (or pick any museum) wan't able to display the car they would loan it out to other museums that would display it? May botate where the car went to keep it on display?

I don't know if this is possible, or desireable, but...

...could an offer like that be made with the condition (or simple request) that if the Henry Ford (or pick any museum) wan't able to display the car they would loan it out to other museums that would display it? May botate where the car went to keep it on display?

Very difficult to do. Most entities that accept donations won't accept stipulations very far into the future. That's the stuff law suits are made of.

A safer approach would be a long term lending of the item.

Or just sell the damn thing to the highest bidder..................Bob

Guest frazer51
I would give it to the first one that offered the money. To be specific to your question, I don't get too high and mighty about what other people do with their stuff. I see quite a bit of hand wringing in various forums that people "hide away" their cars or "hoard" them and how it's such a shame. I feel it's not really my business.

Right on, sounds like a plan to me.

I would say I'd rather see the car go to someone who would show it and drive it as opposed to someone who would just lock it away. However, either seems like a good home for the car.

If I were selling an antique car I would try to make sure that it found a good home with someone that would not hod rod, wreck, or abuse it. You have no control what happens afterwards, but a guy that shows up with a street rod or demo derby jacket would not be very convincing saying he is not going to rod or demo it..

Even so the owner of my '79 Lincoln sold it to me for less than others because I promised to take care of it. I did for 11 years until it was rear ended and totaled. I still feel guilty, which I guess is stupid, it wasn't my fault. But you can never guarantee the future of anything you sell even if you find the right person.

In the musical instruments world, many "investors" allow master musicians to use their valuable instruments, many of which are worth multi-millions of dollars. I wonder if we could get that to work in the collector car world. I consider myself a master driver. Perhaps I'll give the folks at the Nethercutt Museum a call.

You've driven my car, remember?

Spoke to Bob Casey from The Henry Ford this weekend at The Glenmoor Gathering. He said he'd like my car now to shuttle VIPs around Greenfield Village.

Hmmmmm............I'll have to think about that one. It is an interesting idea. It would still be used, and maintained to a high standards, while people still got to enjoy it.

The idea that your car would be shared in stock form with many folks is admirable. Unfortunatly, we don't really have a right to tell someone who buys a car from us what they can or cannot do with it. Show it , restored it, part it our, bury it in the back yard or worse of all put a Chevy small block in it. Restores worry about their cars being street rodded all the time. I like stock vehicles, but in 35 years of being in this hobby/business I have seen more cars destroyed by "restorers" how get in over their head on a restoration and the car gets taken appart never to be put together again, OR, they do a really stupid job restoring the car with all kinds of incorrect parts, paint, tires, or upholstry.