New to the scene...need advice

stealthbob

<!-- message --> I have always dreamed of owning a classic car but always assumed it wasn't for me. Be it monetary...wife...other interests that got in the way, I just always put this thought to the back. Well it's in the front now...biggrin.gif

My car of choice is a 50-52 Buick Roadmaster. I grew up looking at a pic of my Father's first car with him standing in front of it. Him as a young man, with that silly grin on his face as if he just sole it. I guess I always thought of it as the quintessential classic car.

I plan on taking a year to learn and to look, next summer I think may be the time where I am properly prepared. I am starting here as green as one could be but am very familiar with the forum world, which is why I knew I had to reach out to those in this community.

My scenario is this:

Want a driver...drive to work on good days and Sundays, store in my garage in the winter.

I am mechanically inclined and consider myself average or better at mechanical duties. Also have a modestly equipped garage.

Budget is about 10-20k CDN

Would like to start with a road worthy vehicle then work towards the finer upgrades both dress and mechanical.

Ok what are the things newbies need to hear...other than be prepared to throw money into a hole that seems to never end. redface.gif

Some specific questions though...

Should I really try to stay with southern cars as I live in the rust capital of Canada?

What are the trials of importing a car to Canada?

How does one buy a car from only a story and a picture?

What do I need to know about the 50-52 Roadmaster to be informed on my purchase?

What mods are required to licence and run such a car in my area?

....these just a few to start. biggrin.gif

You are starting out right just by asking these questions "before" you buy. Too many buy then ask questions after its too late.

I would personally stick with a car from the southwest US or southern states in general. You mentioned being able to do your own mechanic work which is good but I'm guessing that doesn't included body work skills. It is "FAR" less costly to spend $1000 or $1500 to ship a car from the southwest than it is to repair major rust. Keep in mind you may find a car closer to you that originally was from an arid climate; One that someone already transported into a rust belt area. Rust repair can be insanely expensive to have done right. I've seen it kill projects that started with great enthusiasm simply due to the intimidation of the repairs, not to mention cost.

Can't help importing to Canada. Perhaps someone who has done that will chime in. Canada to US is not a problem but not sure the other way around.

How does one buy a car from a story and a picture? A lot of research and be a good judge of character to know if someone is truthful as well as knowledgeable. Some people honestly don't know their car is full of bondo and the floors are rotted. I'd suggest joining the BCA now.

There are a host of technical advisors that can provide invaluable information specific to a car you are looking at. Sometimes you may even find a member close enough to a car that can be your eyes and ears.

When buying from pictures you really have be very specific with questions and to do that you have to know what to ask as well as requesting detailed pictures. It helps to look at as many cars as possible even if it isn't exactly what you want. This is show season so try to attend a show where you are likely to see older Buicks and talk to the owners.

Good Luck

<!-- message -->

Some specific questions though...

Should I really try to stay with southern cars as I live in the rust capital of Canada?

What are the trials of importing a car to Canada?

How does one buy a car from only a story and a picture?

What do I need to know about the 50-52 Roadmaster to be informed on my purchase?

What mods are required to licence and run such a car in my area?

....these just a few to start. biggrin.gif

Guest 53Nailhead

Welcome aboard!

You've taken the first step coming here. Lots of information from very informed members.

The 2nd thing to do is join the BCA (Buick Club of America) More contacts & information.

Where are you in Canada?

I'm in Ottawa. There's a large group of us here, many have bought Buick's in the States & had no problem bringing them back.

I've sent you a PM with my info if your close or want to give me a call

Les

Wow...great stuff guys!

Yes I am in the Ottawa area, actually Perth so looks like the show n shine in Carp is for me this Saturday. :D

JZRIV...I recognize the great advise on the rust issue, you hit the nail on the head. Who enjoys rust repair...nobody I'm sure.

My hope then is to start to "integrate" myself into the community and maybe gain enough contacts to assist me in a Picture and a Story purchase down the road.

I have to say I'm quite excited, I always knew that "Car" guys are a great group to hang with and soon I will be one as well.

I will be sure to keep tabs and get back with a ton more questions.

Thanks.

Welcome stealthbob. If it's a 54 you want then you want to talk to Mr. Earl. But I can answer one thing, there is a world of difference between the years.

While 50-52 look much the same 53 is a cornerstone year. Thats when some Buicks came with v8's and some maintained the straight eight from the prior years. By 54 there was new sheet metal which is similar through 1956 and no more straight eights.

Do you have that picture of Dad that you can post on here? Besides loving to see it, we may be able to further identify which model he had and that could impact your search.

Guest 53Nailhead

Absolutely Stevo, attendance is mandatory. Our Tuesday nite group has really grown lately, almost 20 +/- :eek:. Derek next time your in town...you know the Buick Boys will treat ya right!!

Stealthbob, the show in Carp is on the main field right off the main drag AND there's a BEER Tent :D. Runs from about 10 - 2. There should be a good group of Buicks there. I'll bring some Buick literature for ya to look through. We'll be there, unless it's a complete rain out. You've got my home # & email, hope to see ya there

Just the mention of 54's is sure to get a Mr. Earl response ;)..... we all know he's here !!!

Nice...my son is getting baptized on Sunday so I hope I can get away for a bit on Saturday.

I'll check into getting that old pic from dad. It was a 2 door hard top '54.

I talked with him about it tonight and I think he is more excited than I am....while I doubt he will get involved in the whole community thing he sure would love to see that ride again. I also think that he thinks it's neat that the Roadmaster is my car of choice, as it sure would be his. ;)

He even took the time to get a link of what it looked like, kinda a funny thing if you knew him.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Hello and Welcome, I fell into a nice old Buick a while back and it has been a pile of fun. Hope you find your dream car and can find the time to really enjoy it. I found that touring is a lot of fun with these Buick guys. They are hard to keep up with in a 1915 car though....

Unless of course, the guys in the fast car break down. ;) Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Welcome aboard...I'm from Winnipeg and was indoctrinated into the Kanata group when I was in Ottawa in December :cool: They definitely treated me well, but I think that had something to do with me being in shock over the cost of the cab ride.

Anyway, I have a '52 Roadmaster...it is rougher than you are looking for, but I would certainly part with it if I could just get The Boss to agree. I also have a '54 (Century Estate Wagon), so could also potentially answer some specific questions.

I have brought cars up from the USA. Ignore anyone who tells you about the Registrar of Imported Vehicles - that only applies to cars 15 years old or newer. If you bring one up from the US, aside from the cost of shipping, if you get someone to do it, they will broker it across the border, implying that they will need the title. You will be required to pay GST and, if Ontario is as backwards as Manitoba, PST on your purchase price. Getting a lowball bill of sale doesn't always work. If you deal with getting it across yourself, the US Customs folks have some requirements (they need a copy of the title for 72 hours at the border crossing you are using before the car shows up and they will want to look at the car, presumably just to verify serial number).

There is a '52 Special DeLuxe for sale in my part of the world. Check out the Auto Trader and Kijiji sites to get an idea of asking prices.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks for the great info.....good to know because I think getting a rust free car is my priority and getting that here will be difficult.

To be clear I'm looking to get into the community first...get some knowledge and make some friends. The purchase will have to wait until next year :(

My goal at this point is to learn about the hobby and the cars themselves....maybe I want a different car more, one I don't even know about yet.

Mostly I want to be past the newbie stage before I layout the money for my next life commitment. ;)

Again thanks for all the info...gotta love boards like these and the great people who come around to help.

Well I just got off the phone with my uncle...

This whole thing has me getting some neat family stories.

It turns out that it was my Uncle, who was with my Grandfather when the car was purchased, made the deciding call for the Roadmaster. They were at the lot in '60 and were looking at cars, my Grandfather was looking decidedly at a 57 Chev when my uncle spotted the Buick! He described the first impression as a mountain of chrome and was very persistent to not get the tame "Canary Yellow" Chev but to get the flashy Buick...the problem was that the Buick's engine happened to be in the trunk!

hehehe

My Grandfather being the frugal man that he was decided that the car with the engine in the trunk was the way to go. As it turns out my Father was the one who personally cleaned every part from that motor and helped to put it all back together.

That was the car he took my mother in on their dates....

This I'm sure is just the start....I'm having my son baptized tomorrow and I'm sure the stories will pour out now with all the family gathered. There's a whole bunch I heard from my pop...my uncle however I'm sure will add the "Perspective" as only the little brother could.

Here is a scanned pic of my uncle in front of the Roadmaster...

post-62521-143138090812_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah! Love those big bodied Buicks. Roadies are a mountain of chrome and beautiful. The Super has the same body, just less chrome, although in 54 the Super also had less horsepower.

Can't wait to hear some of the other stories. We can already see your Uncle sitting on the edge of the seat just to look out the window. Can you image someone doing that today? Hahahaha

Welcome to the forum Stealthbob. As others have already commented you are definately going about your search for knowledge and ultimately the car you want in the right way.This forum is the best place to start.It is SUPER that your Dad is excited about your Quest,especialy your interest in a vehicle similar to one he had previously.Though he may not become as involved as you may become in the "community",if you are able to find what you want ,and are able to take him out cruising in it,and see him involved in conversations related to his old vehicle,or yours,or the related memories,you will have visions of those days well entrenched in your brain of the time spent with your father.When I first read your post,it brought back some very wonderful memories of time spent with my father,who in the last years of his life was a companion with me at several car events.These memories are extra special,because like you I spent many years wishing for a classic vehicle,unable to make it happen due to other of "life's concerns" ,etc.Like your Dad, mine might have been just as ,or more excited than me when I was finally able to get into the car scene because he always knew of my interests and the struggles with making it a reality.Though I can't do it now,I would give anything to have him here and go for a cruise,My recollection of those days has not diminshed.I hope you are successful in making your dreams a reality.Best Buick Wishes. Rich Morton

Edited by Rich Morton (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

My dreams have come true....

So much for waiting a year, I obviously underestimated MrEarls power of getting folks into a 54 quick.

I found exactly what I was looking for, and a great price to boot. It's a 1954 Buick Roadmaster 2 door Hard Top Model 76-R.

The car is from California and is completely untouched original. It's solid but with a lot of the surface rust. The car runs, the owner just had his kids out in it before selling. The interior, while showing it's 55 years is still intact and all there. There are some dents and a piece of missing trim but this should be a very nice project car for me. The best part is I get to drive it for awhile before starting the restoration!

Unbelievable!

I will try to live up to the standards shown to me by this community. While I doubt I will make a top show car I will endeavor to bring this beauty back to it's former glory all the while respecting it's past.

I will be sure to chronicle the whole process....I can't wait until it arrives!

I have some pics right here

You have now been officially bitten by the great Buick Bug. There is no cure, you just have to hang in there and keep after one Buick, then another , then another, .............

Mr Earl has been spreading this particular strain for some time. I have to tell you....There is no hope!!!

Welcome.

stevo

Congratulations Bob. That's going to be a nice car when you're done, even if it is not perfect. There is plenty of room in the BCA for cars that are clean daily drivers.

Of course now you have an important first task even before you get the car, finding secure storage for it. I'm not talking about problems from human vandals, I'm talking about crimes from 4 legged rodents. The last thing you will want is any storage that is susceptible to mice OR damp and dark which increases the possibility of mold growth. If however that is all you have available, let us know, for suggestions on how to live with that type of environment.

Good luck.

Well I can say that I'm fortunate to have an attached garage that is fully insulated. I was told by a car guy around here to always have traps out year round just in case.

Right now I'm in the process of "Restoring" the garage. Full paint job with epoxy floor covering. I will also keep an eye on the humidity and run a dehumidifier if I have to.

I am also planning on some neat artwork with the Roadmaster motif on the back wall...if I get it done I'll post pics!

Thanks for the advice....

he he he heeee, I've infected another one. Serbo is right, there is no cure.

CONGRATULATIOS Bob!!! You've scored nicely and was very lucky. This car would not have lasted another day. And you stoled it. I had called about another 76R with rusted out floors, rockers, didn't run and was a mess that had just sold for 1K less than you paid for this baby. Another one in very similiar condition to yours sold in AZ for almost twice what you paid.

Now to begin your memorabilia collection. And believe me if it comes on ebay and if a certain German named El Diablo Jan doesn't already have it you won't get it.

Look forward to having you in the BCA.

You may want to post her up in the Me and My Buick forum also.

Hey Pete, looks kinda familiar doesn't she?

My dreams have come true....

So much for waiting a year, I obviously underestimated MrEarls power of getting folks into a 54 quick.

You have done well Pilgrim! You will not be sorry with that car when it arrives. A CA black plate car to boot.

Congratulations and good luck!

Guest 53Nailhead

Nice family story Bob. You and your Dad should have some fun making memories restoring her. Tuesday Nite Bob!!!!:D

Cheers