Blast Cabinet

After a few years of puttering along with a cheapie I would like to buy a good bead blaster this year. I do not think I can afford a large model with foot control and it's own vacuum, but I cannot stand my cheapie anymore. I think I probably need a medium sized freestanding model or a good large benchtop model if it has decent quallity and features. Can anyone relate their own experience with something from Eastwood, TIP or the others seen in hobby ads or swap meets? If you have a plastic window how has that worked for you? Thanks, Todd

I had bought a TIP about 15 years ago, very happy with it! Plastic window and they sell protector shields to go over it. It is the sort of tool you do not want to regret buying, they seldom wear out and cost too much to upgrade. One thing I will say regardless of brand whatever size you might think you need go one size larger, it can never be too big but it sure can be too small!

Good luck

If you're not in a big hurry check EBay, craigs list, and local penny saver type papers. I picked up a 48" Trinco commercial Cabinet with centifical seperator in like new condition for 1/4 of what new would cost.......Bob

there is nice a looking Trinco cabinet on ebay right now item

270410049626. It's very similar to the one I have. I didn't use the filter bag which is only for very fine dust. I just ran a short duct through an outside wall. Zero maintenance and hassle.

This unit is a bit far for you and wouldn't you know it only about an hour and a half from me.........Bob

• 1 month later...

Eastwood is over priced when it comes to blast cabinets. It looks like their cabinets are good quality but they are priced too far above the competition. From what I have seen the TP cabinets are one of the best buys out there if you are buying new. A couple times a year they have a big sell and thats a great time to buy if you can wait. I think one of them is around the Thanksgiving holiday.

The other option is to watch craigslist for a used industrial grade unit. If you are doing a lot of car parts I suggest getting as big a one as you have room for such as a 48" wide or even a 60. A good vacuum system is a must if you want to see what you are doing.

A bigger cabinet allows you do to bigger parts but it will also precipitate the need for a larger air compressor so keep that in mind as well.

TIP usually has a big sale for the Carlisle and Hershey swap meets that lasts for a while after the events are over. Occasionally they may also have a great deal on a unit that was scratched during shipping or something. I visited their shop in person several years ago and got a really great deal on a unit that someone had purchased, then found they couldn't get it into their basement and had to go to a smaller size. The one they returned had a little paint scratched off a couple of corners from trying to manhandle it down some steps. A little touch up was well worth the discount. Important rule of thumb, buy the largest you can stretch to afford and you'll be glad you did.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a TP blasting cabinet kit several years ago and rather than make it out of wood as their plans suggested I made it out of angle iron and sheet metal from car bodies (hoods mostly). It is one of the most useful tools I have and turns so-so quality work into professional level work like nothing else. But since you have had a small one you know that already. One thing I would recommend is buying the plastic sheeting that you stick to the inside of the window; you will ruin the window in short order otherwise and will not be ablw to see through it. I get all of my supplies except the blasting media from TP Tools and have always been pleased with both their products and their service. I also finally bought one of their blasting cabinet vacuums and really like that too as it keeps the air and floor outside of the cabinet clean.

Guest Plymouthy

I have had my 5 foot wide SCAT BLAST cabinet since 1985..it is by far one of the best items I have purchased to support my hobby habit...I will say this, it is like a shop..you can't get them too big..go with the largest you have the room and wallet to support..

Well, thanks for all the advice everyone, keep it coming. I used my cheapie yesterday and it firmly reminded me that why I need a new one. With Hershey coming up I am hoping maybe someone will have a sale going on, will still welcome any more advice, thanks, Todd C

Guest martylum

Hi-I've had a TIP 36" wide blast cabinet and vacuum for many years and it works great and TIP sends reasonable cost service parts very promptly.

Don't go smaller than a 36" wide cabinet . If you have the space go larger.

Martin Lum

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone, I am pulling up this old post just to remind us all that sometimes things work out.

Last fall after this post I went to Hershey and TIP had a sale and I was practically dying to spend about $700 to buy their special, but did not. I did not need something immediately and did not want to have to haul it around, so I chose to wait.

Last month I looked on Craigs List as I have done in fits and starts for a while as suggested. To my surprise there was a blast cabinet listed, right in town, an Econoline brand. I googled them and found Econoline is an American manufacturer with some very good design features. I then found that someone had sent me a PM to seek out an Econoline. Good advice!

The cabinet needed a few things but was very sturdy, so I bought it. I then found that these cabinets are sold by the Grainger industrial supply company, mine as equipped was over $2000 in their catalog(!). I needed a new gun, new lens, and a few other things and they were in stock and arrived in one day. Everything new, fits, and did not have to come from China. I could not be happier! I would suggest everyone look at the Econoline lineup if they are in the market. Todd C